Home

How do I stop the 3's?

This is a discussion on How do I stop the 3's? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How do I stop the 3's?

I play online and I always get killed by the Lakers with the 3's (I'm the Knicks).

The trick my friend does is ...

He pumps fakes his 3 (I jump and attempt to block) then he moves to his left/right and makes an open 3.

How do I stop that??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: How do I stop the 3's?

Rather than trying to block shots on the perimeter, just keep your hands up.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

I'm keeping an eye on this thread as I'm on an online league where one player has nothing but guards and what OP describes happens a lot!

What defense should I run when they pull ish like that? Oh and that hands up defense has no effect if the guy knows how the release point for all those guards...all it takes is one shot to make it in and it's pretty much a wrap..
Old 02-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 10

Dont jump. Use LT + LS in the direction of the offensive player to contest. Play on-ball and dont leave it up to the computer.

In coaching profiles, turn your defensive pressure high plus select direction pad on defense and pick "pressure shooters". Make sure your help defense isnt to high either. That will cause your defense to leave shooters open.

All of these changes leave you more vunerable in the paint so adjust accordingly.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #5
Rookie

Okay, I played him again and no luck!!!!

I put play tight on ball and deny ball on off ball.

Derek Fisher, Steve Blake, and Troy Murphy ****ted on me!

Is it because im doing something wrong? Is it because the knicks defense suck?

And why the heck is the lane always open for Kobe to dunk/layup???

Sorry for the rant, really frustrated atm
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 9

I understand the frustration. I am being crushed online as well (mostly inside, though. My shots fail, ball gets stolen from me, I am being outrebounded, the works).

Is there any thread here that talks about "don't play video games, play BASKETBALL... online" here? ;-)
Old 02-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Put your settings to the following:

Coach Profile
Defensive Pressure: 100
Help Def: 0

Go to defensive settings and put everyone's on ball defense to tight and off ball defense to deny ball. Play off the ball or if you play on ball put your hands up when you close by hitting up on the right analog stick towards the player. Once he picks up his dribble keep your hands up until he starts his jump shot then you can jump to try and block it.

If this doesn't work you just need to step your game up lol.

BTW how is he getting his 3 point shots. Is he just dribbling down the court and trying to pull up in your face? Is he penetrating in the lane and then dishing off to a 3 point shooter? Or is he running plays and getting his players to come off screens for 3 point shots? Is he posting up on you and kicking it back out? Or are they fast break 3's? Or is he doing neither and just passing the ball to a wing and pump faking until you jump? This is an important question before you mess with your settings.

If he is beating by penetration then you need to increase your help defense and sag off or play moderate on ball def on the ball handlers so they cannot penetrate on you. If you stop penetration first and foremost he won't have the ability to get his shooters open. I'd put your on ball defense for everyone moderate then off ball defense to deny for the shooters and moderate for everyone else. If you use the constant pressure defense by pressing left on the dpad then Y it pretty much does this for you. I'd put your def pressure and help def to 50-75 in the coach profiles.

If he is just passing it to a wing and do a billion pump fakes then I'd just play off the ball. Most people on here will be against it,but there is no reason to play on ball def 100 pct. You will get burnt back door and on a lot of isomotion moves. If he is doing this use the settings I first gave you.

If he is using the post players ( I doubt he is because most people don't know how to) then you have to bring your double team from your weak side or deny the entry pass into the post by bring a weakside defender and standing in front of him. You can still use the settings I gave you for this too.

If he is running off ball screens (Again I doubt it most players don't take advantage of this) then play off ball and fight through the screens.

If he is beating you with fastbreak 3's then first cut down your turnovers obviously. Next go to coach profile and put your crash boards to 0 so everyone will get back on defense.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Youtube

Last edited by cardinalbird5; 02-23-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Like Father Like son

ROABS's Arena

OVR: 17

against shooters i put my on ball defense to tight and dont jump when they shoot use lt and hit the right stick up when they are about to release there shot. this should put a hand in there face and disrupt the shot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »