Home

Can you beat the CPU easily on All-Star default sliders?

This is a discussion on Can you beat the CPU easily on All-Star default sliders? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13
Can you beat the CPU easily on All-Star default sliders?

I am just wondering who is struggling with this, specifically for their OA's. I have 4-5 guys in my OA who cannot seem to beat the CPU more than 20 pct of the time and have to rely on simming their games. I struggled at first, but I got the hang of it. I win about 90 pct of the time now and even get some blowouts here and there. I just don't see how people can keep struggling if they've played so many games. We are in the 2nd year and people are still struggling. Any tips I can give them?

BTW their teams are stacked too, so the roster isn't the problem.

Anyone else struggling this bad?

Youtube
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: Can you beat the CPU easily on All-Star default sliders?

I could write 1000 words easily on how to compete with the CPU on All-Star.

I struggled to begin with, couldn't win a game, was getting blown out, but once I figured out how to play, and learned the game, I am now able to field a winning percentage against the CPU on All-Star. I'm 16-12 with the lowly Golden State Warriors in my current association. 12 minute quarters, All-Star difficulty. I've beaten some of the best teams in the game and have been competitive with everyone (for the most part, some games I get blown out still).

But yeah, as for tips, practice makes perfect. You have to play a LOT against the CPU to learn how to play against them. You have to play defense and keep them out of the paint. You have to execute on offense, take smart shots and make high percentage plays. You have to play very FOCUSED basketball for 48 minutes. Limit turnovers. Run plays if you want high percentage shots (I still don't run many plays, I just play smart basketball on offense and it works for me. Only occasionally will I run plays). You have to play with EFFORT and HUSTLE. That means closing out on shooters on defense, and trying to stay with your man as best as possible.

You also have to learn your own players and understand their strengths, where they get their shots at, how to get them high percentage shots. You have to play to your strengths at all times. For example, I play as the Warriors, I run the floor on turnovers and missed shots, and look for open shots in transition. It's crucial to me being successful. Sometimes I have Brandon Rush (90 3 pt rating) in the game and I run in transition and look for open 3s. Then I run 3 pt plays for him on the offensive end. They don't always work, but when they do, he's good for a few 3s this way during the course of a game, and on All-star you need every point you can muster.

You just have to play winning basketball. Think of everything you know about basketball and apply it in the game as best you can.

Tip for defense. You WILL get blown by by the ball handlers. You need to learn how to recover. Use turbo SPARINGLY. Only use turbo when you're out of position. SPRINT back into position. However, sprinting into POSITION does NOT mean running to where the ball handler currently is. He will just blow by you again because you will be out of position. Sprinting back into position means sprinting to the SPOT ON THE FLOOR WHERE THE BALLHANDLER IS TRYING TO GET TO! So sprint back to the paint, or to an area where the ball handler is HEADED. Beat him to that spot and get your hands up if he's attempting a shot (don't bite on pump fakes, stay down and use the "hands up" stick to contest shots). ONLY jump to contest if you are absolutely positive he's going to shoot the ball, otherwise he will pump fake you and you are dead in the water. But it's very important to learn how to play proper positional defense and keep the ball handler in front of you at all times. If you limit penetration with good defense, the CPU's offense will fall apart and it will be difficult for them to generate points as easily as if they were just driving and getting layups on you. But you HAVE to play good D.

And like I said on offense, limit turnovers. No stupid plays. Do not make mistakes, do not force the ball anywhere. Take what the defense gives you. Get the ball to your scorers in position to score. Like I said you can run plays, or you can just "go with the flow" and learn how to get your scorers in proper position by manually passing the ball around, using "quickplays", etc. Always take high percentage shots. Not so much just high percentage shots, but make high percentage plays. Take shots that the players would take in real life. You HAVE to work some sort of a mid range game against the CPU. It's very hard to get open lanes to drive the ball. Work the ball around, use pump fakes, use isomotion but don't overdo it, use it to get the separation you need, and pull up for the shot. You have to pay VERY CLOSE ATTENTION to the defense. They DO make mistakes, but often the mistakes are subtle, such as a defender being slightly out of position, or the defense sags off thinking you are going to drive. You MUST take advantage of these defensive mistakes by the CPU. If you don't, it's going to be a long night.

So those are some basic tips that should help. But in the end, you just need to practice against the CPU. Practicing will make you a better player. Tell these guys to play some offline games against the CPU. That's the only way they will get better. Once they get good they will be able to compete with the CPU. But keep in mind, my advice is not foolproof. You WILL still lose games to the CPU. Some games you may even get blown out. But if you follow my advice and practice practice practice, you will start to be more competitive and you will even get some wins.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Rookie

RBelly_502's Arena

OVR: 2

Ive found that some cats just don't have the mental fortitude to beat the computer, no matter what level its on. You have to have a certain level of discipline in your game (my larry brown voice) 'to play the game the right way' to beat the compete with the computer.
A lot of folks simply don't have the patience.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

All Star/Simulation with shooting sliders (Midrange and 3PT) set at 47. If you leave the sliders at 50, the CPU will bang shots if left wide open. At 47, the CPU will bang shots wide open but also MISS shots wide open (more Human-like and realistic).

Check out Da_Czar's videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouWQgR7F6ug

The CPU is flawless on default settings.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Banned

thuglife74's Arena

OVR: 4

actually, i can beat most teams by a comfortable margin on all star default (well, i should say when i match up two fairly evenly matched teams). although this only happens if i really zone my brain in on defense. 2k basketball games are won through d.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

one thing people should consider is that a lot of people probably just have slow reaction time and bad hand-eye coordination...because of this, there will always be a certain amount of people who struggle. not everyone is good at video games.

i like that 2k is hard. part of the problem with video games today is that they're too easy - game developers feel the need to dumb down their games and make them easier so that even the worst gamer can be successful...developers need to sell as many copies as possible, so games get easier and everything in the game gets automated where you just hit a button everything happens for you...and then you get a trophy as if you actually accomplished something...this is a trend in all of society - false sense of accomplishment without actually accomplishing anything impressive.

one thing i like about 2k is that they haven't followed this trend yet. 2k is one of the few video games that is still SKILL-BASED. you need quick reflexes and good controller skills to succeed at 2k...and you need patience - you can't say that about a lot of video games. 2k doesn't baby you and hold your hand to make sure you can win...but they do provide casual and rookie settings for people who are struggling. but their main difficulty setting (all-star) is still challenging.

Last edited by blues rocker; 02-22-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
one thing people should consider is that a lot of people probably just have slow reaction time and bad hand-eye coordination...because of this, there will always be a certain amount of people who struggle. not everyone is good at video games.

i like that 2k is hard. part of the problem with video games today is that they're too easy - game developers feel the need to dumb down their games and make them easier so that even the worst gamer can be successful...developers need to sell as many copies as possible, so games get easier and everything in the game gets automated where you just hit a button everything happens for you...and then you get a trophy as if you actually accomplished something...this is a trend in all of society - false sense of accomplishment without actually accomplishing anything impressive.

one thing i like about 2k is that they haven't followed this trend yet. 2k is one of the few video games that is still SKILL-BASED. you need quick reflexes and good controller skills to succeed at 2k...and you need patience - you can't say that about a lot of video games. 2k doesn't baby you and hold your hand to make sure you can win...but they do provide casual and rookie settings for people who are struggling. but their main difficulty setting (all-star) is still challenging.
The bolded. I made an entire thread about this:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ty-matter.html

My response.... 2K does not give you that option in Association mode. If you play on Pro in Association, the CPU plays like its on a higher difficulty. If you play on Rookie, same thing. The CPU on Pro and Rookie in Association play like the All Star difficulty. Exhibition games, Pro is Pro and Rookie is Rookie.

I admit I suck, I admit I don't have the hand eye coordination that you have. But why must I be punished in Association, why can't the CPU on Pro play like the CPU on Pro? Why must the CPU constantly attack the basket, do dream shakes in the paint, make it unplayable. Why must I adjust sliders? What is the purpose of Rookie and Pro in Association if its not going to play that way?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sword1986
All Star/Simulation with shooting sliders (Midrange and 3PT) set at 47. If you leave the sliders at 50, the CPU will bang shots if left wide open. At 47, the CPU will bang shots wide open but also MISS shots wide open (more Human-like and realistic).

Check out Da_Czar's videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouWQgR7F6ug

The CPU is flawless on default settings.
Did you read my post brah? This is for OA and there are no sliders. Offline I play on Superstar or Hof SIM straight up with a few tweaks to the sliders.

Youtube

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »