Home

Is EA/Tiburon Committed To Making Madden 13's Player Ratings "True To The NFL"?

This is a discussion on Is EA/Tiburon Committed To Making Madden 13's Player Ratings "True To The NFL"? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Is EA/Tiburon Committed To Making Madden 13's Player Ratings "True To The NFL"?

I was originally going to ask this question in the CD thread but I think it really needs to standout. After reading over some threads about how gamers are finding improvements for M12 by adjusting the ratings, I realized it seems we haven't heard anything about this from the ratings team.

I read about DCEBB getting an interview but I don't think his OS name is EA colored, so I don't know what happened with that. It seems like everything I read about Madden's ratings, aside from that thing about a former Olineman working on Oline ratings, is about how hard Donny Moore works. Now, while I don't question his work ethic, I do question the results and the arcadey impact they seem to have on the game. I am concerned that whatever legacy football issues the developers may be able to address in Madden's code, can potentially be lessened or undone by seemingly subjective player ratings.

So in an era of Madden where most things seem to be signaling a commitment to NFL authenticity, did the Madden ratings "team" get the memo this year?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Is EA/Tiburon Committed To Making Madden 13's Player Ratings "True To The NFL"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I was originally going to ask this question in the CD thread but I think it really needs to standout. After reading over some threads about how gamers are finding improvements for M12 by adjusting the ratings, I realized it seems we haven't heard anything about this from the ratings team.

I read about DCEBB getting an interview but I don't think his OS name is EA colored, so I don't know what happened with that. It seems like everything I read about Madden's ratings, aside from that thing about a former Olineman working on Oline ratings, is about how hard Donny Moore works. Now, while I don't question his work ethic, I do question the results and the arcadey impact they seem to have on the game. I am concerned that whatever legacy football issues the developers may be able to address in Madden's code, can potentially be lessened or undone by seemingly subjective player ratings.

So in an era of Madden where most things seem to be signaling a commitment to NFL authenticity, did the Madden ratings "team" get the memo this year?
Not trying to be a smarty, but are you asking a developer like Chase, Donny, or AJ to answer that?

Beyond that, how would we know?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

Re: Is EA/Tiburon Committed To Making Madden 13's Player Ratings "True To The NFL"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Not trying to be a smarty, but are you asking a developer like Chase, Donny, or AJ to answer that?

Beyond that, how would we know?
I guess I was directing it at the CD guys to try and find out but I wanted it open for discussion in it's own thread. Sometimes there are developments that I miss that others can direct me to and this specific topic hasn't really been directly addressed that I am aware of.

I wonder if news of a ratings overhaul would violate the NDA.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal

After my initial interview with the guys at EA, I did not hear anything back from them. I offered them my "pitch", if you will, and I guess it didn't stick. I felt as though they were using the interview to pump me for information. They asked me a lot of "what would you do to make things better for gamers who both want sim and pick-up-and-play" type of questions. As some of you may know, I am not that kind of person. I offered some advice, but my area of expertise is simply in data interpolation as it relates to football and Madden. Regardless, the show will go on with FBG.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Old 02-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
After my initial interview with the guys at EA, I did not hear anything back from them. I offered them my "pitch", if you will, and I guess it didn't stick. I felt as though they were using the interview to pump me for information. They asked me a lot of "what would you do to make things better for gamers who both want sim and pick-up-and-play" type of questions. As some of you may know, I am not that kind of person. I offered some advice, but my area of expertise is simply in data interpolation as it relates to football and Madden. Regardless, the show will go on with FBG.
I appreciate you responding and for what it's worth, I think you would be a good addition to the Madden team.

On one hand I don't won't EA to use your methods without providing you fair compensation but on the other hand, I hope you have provoked them into doing something different with player ratings than the status quo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
I will always respect DCEBB for not having manipulated and marketing influenced ratings!! I really hope you get the job there sometime.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:27 AM   #7
TheSaints7

OVR:
They say this but I doubt they do.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:55 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 4

I've been saying this for years...Madden needs more distance in there ratings, I think that's one of the things that made NFL2K5 so great. They weren't afraid to give players a 50 or 60 overall rating. But the thing was, that didn't mean they were really that bad, they just didn't have a particular strength in a key area but maybe in another.

A lot of key ratings need to be given more separation in Madden. They seem to try too hard to make certain players that may just be good (but not great) high ratings still just to please the crowd that only looks at overalls. Hopefully the dev's understand just how much this can effect the sim experience now, the ratings have just been way too bunched in for too long. A good player doesn't need to be in the 80s while the great players are just 10 att. pts. away in the 90s, that's not enough space to really differentiate them.

Last edited by Jimi XIII; 02-17-2012 at 04:02 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »