Home

Your thoughts on scholarship limit

This is a discussion on Your thoughts on scholarship limit within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Your thoughts on scholarship limit

I think that EA should apply something in terms of dropping a "prestige" rating if you cut players that where offered scholarships. I mean now, i sign 20-25 guys every year and just cut the ones i dont want with ZERO penalty.

They should allow you to oversign due to players leaving early, transfers, etc. But if you have 73 players and only 70 spots (# of spots is a seperate issue), then you have to cut 3 guys. You should be penalized for that. It would add a new strategy to recruiting.

What do you guys think?

***hahaha i just saw on the "similar threads" when writing this that in NCAA 2003 the scholarship limit was 55!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 14
Re: Your thoughts on scholarship limit

55 that is inisane. I forgot all about that. Mostly because I barely did the recruiting in the old games because it wasn't as fun and I'd play as The U and we'd be number 1 recruiting each year. I think that would be a great feature but who would you penalize the school, the players involved, or the coach? I think what they need to bring back which they used to have was suspension limitations. Honestly as much as I hated it in the old games it brought some flavor to the game. Also I want celebrations back I loved High stepping before the endzone. I know it's a new penalty and thats why EA stopped it to make it more realistic. But that deservess a Come'on Man.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

I think you should be able to over-sign.

Schools in the SEC do it every year, which is why that's the best conference.

I think there should be some kind of penalty though in terms of the integrity of the program vs. schools like Michigan that run cleaner programs.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Rookie

rollinphat's Arena

OVR: 5

I don't like that idea at all.

I would, however, not be against it effecting your "reputation as a coach" rating that penalizes you if you have a history of cutting players similar to the rating that takes a hit if you break a recruits promise.

The bottom line is that scholarships are a 1 year commitment, so anything over that is just icing on the cake to the player.

If you got an academic scholarship and couldn't make it the school would cut you and nobody would think twice about it.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
Rookie

InvisibleSpoon, while in years past you would absolutely be correct that most SEC schools typically oversign players, that is no longer the case. This year they are instituting a "hard 25" rule, no backcounting to the previous year and early enrollees count against the 25 as well.

It is my understanding that for every one you take past 25 you will be docked 3 schollys the following year. (which is really really bad)

We have Houston Nutt to thank for this rule.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Rookie

Bucknut17's Arena

Why should it hurt your integrity/ reputation. Saban is the king of oversigning, he has 3 titles and dont look now but he has #1 class lined up again.... I'm not a fan of oversigning and would like the NCAA to put an end to it but clearly its effective and hasn't stopped recruits from signing up to play for these teams.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Rookie

Bucknut17's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Vol
InvisibleSpoon, while in years past you would absolutely be correct that most SEC schools typically oversign players, that is no longer the case. This year they are instituting a "hard 25" rule, no backcounting to the previous year and early enrollees count against the 25 as well.

It is my understanding that for every one you take past 25 you will be docked 3 schollys the following year. (which is really really bad)

We have Houston Nutt to thank for this rule.

While it does stop the Houston Nutt 38 player classes, it still doesn't stop oversigning. 25+25+25+25 doesn't equal 85 and that's not even including 5th year seniors, so while limiting oversigning its laughable to think it will stop it.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Rookie

rollinphat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknut17
Why should it hurt your integrity/ reputation. Saban is the king of oversigning, he has 3 titles and dont look now but he has #1 class lined up again.... I'm not a fan of oversigning and would like the NCAA to put an end to it but clearly its effective and hasn't stopped recruits from signing up to play for these teams.
agreed. it hasn't hurt his recruiting classes at all, but you have to admit that his reputation has taken a big hit. Maybe it's just a southern sports news story and it hasn't made it to Ohio yet, but its all everybody has been talking about around here for the last month.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »