Home

Your Biggest Recruiting Steals

This is a discussion on Your Biggest Recruiting Steals within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Pro

TheLeviticalLawKid3's Arena

OVR: 6
Your Biggest Recruiting Steals

Who have you picked up in recruiting that...

a. You shouldn't have, considering what team you're with.
b. Was a true diamond in the rough, a guy who has exploded past expectations.
c. Pulled a "hat switch", AKA switching from a soft commit from somewhere else to a hard commit to you in a week.

I've had all three in my first season and a half as the Washington State OC (on Heisman recruiting).

a. After a 10-3 season, the Cougars (using a run-heavy Malzahn...Auburn playbook...scheme) picked up the 5* Californian, #1 RB in the country. I promised young Korie McAllister the world and hammered him for an hour every single week. He eventually had an A+ visit after we knocked off #2 Stanford at home, then became a hard commit a week later. He comes into campus as a 79 overall. 6'2", 93 in speed...breaks tackles like a beast. Splits carries with my senior starter in the nation's #1 rushing attack.

b. Also signed a 1*, JUCO transfer QB from Idaho. Brandon Matthews was a balanced passer who had decent speed and a ridiculous break tackle rating. Thought he'd make a great backup for the injury prone senior I have at QB. Week 7, starter goes down for the rest of the year. Matthews steps in and throws for 210 yards in just three quarters of work as we hold off the upset-minded Oregon State Beavers. Didn't expect a 1* to come in and hold his own. His awareness is pitiful, but he's got the tools to be a stud.

c. I needed a DE badly. My heart was crushed when my #1 defensive prospect, Dominic Wilson, went out of nowhere and verbally committed to Hawaii. I still kept plugging away at him, though, and he switched on the last day before the "dead period" (last week of the season). He now starts at DE for the Cougars.

Anyone else got some great recruiting stories?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Your Biggest Recruiting Steals

Nabbed a 4-star RB out of California who seemed intent playing for the U but I beat em in double OT(did I mention I was playing as SJSU on Heisman?) and that probably changed his mind and committed to play for my Spartans after talking to him for an hour each week.Of course, this was my second season as HC and winning the NC last year against Auburn. Also landed a 4 star WR from Florida who was being recruited heavily by Florida,Florida State, the U, but I promised him he'll be a freshman AA and guaranteed the conference championship first year he's on college and he committed 2nd week of the off-season.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

I had A & C with one recruit. I was Clemson, and was recruiting during my first season. The #1 QB had me at 7th to start the season, and Florida was first. With 2 games left in the season, his bar was completely full for Florida, and a little under 3/4 for me. I took SC to overtime in the last week of the season, and Florida handled FSU. I decided to offer him a scholarship just for the heck of it, and he decided to be a Tiger. I didn't play with him though because I just play/recruit for one season before I delete and start over with another school.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

I'm OC at Syracuse in my 3rd year we were 4-8 first year, 5-7 second year and I just got a 4 star QB that when the season started I was not even on his list. I think he is like the #15 ranked QB, and he committed like week 6 or 7, so I got him fast.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

QB #7
Aaron White
6-4

Lower Burrell, PA

In my 2nd season I was able to get this kid away from Penn State somehow. I'm assuming they had no room for him. Anyways, you look at his size and think he's a pocket passer type. You would be dead wrong!

He is now a senior and here are his key attributes:
OVR: 91
SPD: 92
AGI: 81
ACC: 84
BTK: 81
ELU: 91
CAR: 52 (Never even looked but this is why he fumbles all the damn time lol)
THP: 89
THA: 88

Career stats:
149.4 Rating
416/680 (61.2%)
6,120 yards
43 TD | 28 INT

403 rushes
1,518 yads
3.8 avg (Sacks kill this...)
15 TD
33 rushing fumbles! (About half were TO's)

He's been solid and led my squad to an ACC Championship during his first year starting (Sophomore season). He was injured half of his junior season and is looking to finish his career on a high note.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

I've had a few like that.

First season at Hawai'i I grabbed the #5 QB in the nation who had B thp/tha and B speed ratings. It was a HUGE get because my top two QB's graduated after that season. I also grabbed a few guys well beyond my reach my first year at Arizona State, including 3 5* WR and a RB who has turned into a tiny little Darren Sproles-like god. Went 5-7 the first year, turned it around and went to the Rose Bowl the next year (this is a sim dynasty, so all the games are simmed except I play one vs my buddy every year).

I've also had some guys come in and just dominate so much better than I anticipated. The big one is my FB at Clemson. First year I took over when they were 2-6, really late in the year so I had to scramble to get recruits. I got a 1* FB to come because I wanted to run some option. He ended up with 91 speed and high 70's overall as a true freshman. He was a monster. Had a kicker that same year I just snuck up on the last 2 weeks of recruiting, ended up being a Groza winner with 99 kick power as a Junior.

I have had a ton of luck grabbing some diamonds in the rough this year.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

When I was playing with Buffalo either the second or third year I grabbed the best QB in the nation, a 5 star QB. I got extremely lucky and I wasn't even on his list until like week 10. It's weird, no team was interested in him or offered him so I decided to give it a shot..Better then grabbing that ******** 2 star QB who can barely throw a spiral.

The guy was rated 78 as a freshman and was much better then any other QB in my roster. If I would have kept playing I would have made him shatter every possible record there was..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »