Home

This game makes no sense.

This is a discussion on This game makes no sense. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8
This game makes no sense.

I swear logic must have been left outof thisgame in favor of random number generators.

Whether you drop the ball or not. Random.

Whether a lineman holds his block or not. Random.

Whether a guy gets injured. Random.

Whether a guy fumbles. Random.

Whether a runner breaks a tackle or not. Random.

Whether a guy progresses or regresses. Random.

Whether you win a sim or not. Random.

It just seems there is no logic at all. I cannot seem to find logic in some of the things in this game.

I just honestly cannot find a logical conclusion to some results in this game.

I can't be the only one who sees this sometimes.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
MVP

Phreezy P's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: This game makes no sense.

From my knowledge they actually do use a dice roll technology based on ratings. I think they should get a HOF NFL player with years of experience and knowledge to help them with the logic one day so they can totally revamp it. Maybe next year, there could be more situational logic so it works correctly.

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Old 01-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

There's a lot of randomness, and I think what's worse is that there's not enough individual things to impact it player by player - so you can get the feel of "oh this guy does XYZ more often". This really shows up in progression, imo.

The game does need to take more things into account even when determining outcomes by randomness. Drops due to contact should consider how solid the contact is. Hard contact should put a huge "penalty" to the "chance" while a graze shouldn't do a thing. A strong TE should have a high "chance" to at least fall forward when tackled by a smaller guy.

Same for fumbling - a strong back probably is not going to fumble unless hit solidly and "hat on the ball". Need a "strip ball" rating or such because I'm willing to bet some defenders are better at it/attempt to do it more often.

I agree, some of these logical things (which impact the chances of events in real life) are left out (or are too weak in impact), and with all the ratings so bunched up, things become 50/50 too often (or otherwise don't feel as though an individual player vs player is making the difference - more that it could have happened with any match up).
Old 01-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

What do you think those ratings are for? Did you think they were numbers no good reason?

Many aspects of Madden are algorithms of some kind. Weighted numbers, boolean, logic trees, etc. It's all math, behind the scenes.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #5
Rookie

Calipup's Arena

OVR: 12

Aren't sports random to begin with? Isn't LIFE as a whole all random?

Whether you drop the ball or not. Random. WRs all the time drop easy passes.

Whether a lineman holds his block or not. Random. Yes I can see this as random, but it's all ratings.

Whether a guy gets injured. Random. This is random in real life too? So your point is?

Whether a guy fumbles. Random. Carry rating. Power of hit. Real life fumbles are random too. Madden isn't to the realistic point of having hands punch out the ball and such yet.

Whether a runner breaks a tackle or not. Random. Yes this is random, but ratings play into this.

Whether a guy progresses or regresses. Random. Well mostly this is random, but younger players will progress (as long as they get some playing time) and older players will regress

Whether you win a sim or not. Random. Well of course that's random. It takes into account each team's ratings and then sims an outcome.

Madden is all math. It takes ratings into account, and some other factors, gives %'s for different outcomes, and one is picked.

Tell me, how would you make a sports game without random outcomes? It's impossible. If there were no random outcomes, all passes would be accurate or inaccurate. Pertaining to basketball, Kevin Durant would make all his baskets or miss them all. In Baseball, Pujols will either swing or miss all the time.

Last edited by Calipup; 01-12-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2012, 03:06 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calipup
Tell me, how would you make a sports game without random outcomes? It's impossible. If there were no random outcomes, all passes would be accurate or inaccurate. Pertaining to basketball, Kevin Durant would make all his baskets or miss them all. In Baseball, Pujols will either swing or miss all the time.

I think his point is more that there's too little to influence the randomness, at least that's how I interpret it.

To use your Pujols example, an in-depth baseball game will have his BABIP, contact chance, and power behind the swing/hit based on pitch type, velocity, location, what he was looking for, and what timing he had. Then throw in the positioning of the fielders, the jump the outfielders get, their abilities (range, throwing arm, etc), and then the speed of Pujols to see if he decided to take an extra base, if he makes it, and so on.

There's a lot of things to influence the randomness there. If it was just a coin flip - that's still random, but it's not realistic.

It is pretty much impossible to have a sports game without randomness, agreed, but there's differing quality of random outcomes and how they are determined. If the randomness in a baseball game had Pujols hit .210 with 10 HR and Eckstein hit .340 with 40 HR - I think there would be a post like this on that game's forum...

Last edited by KBLover; 01-12-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 1

"This game makes no sense."

Well, there are times I absolutely agree with that statement. One recent event had a WR with 87 speed running neck and neck with Tramon Williams, 93 speed. And this is with speed threshold of zero. Accleleration for WR was lower than speed, 85. Tramon has 95 acceleration.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

I can tell you one thing that isn't random

Injury Timeouts.

Whenever I am playing a no-huddle, go for it on every 4th down cheeser, They always get extra time before halftime or the end of the game because I get charged a timeout because my defender gets hurt.

It always seems to happen when there is less than 1 minute on the clock, and my opponent only has one or zero timeouts to stop the clock.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »