Home

breakaway scoring

This is a discussion on breakaway scoring within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-08-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22
breakaway scoring

I feel like breakaways are tougher to score on in this game, maybe that's just me, but I feel like I don't convert as much as I did in 11.

What are your guys' breakaway strategies? I'm finding it hard to deke and score, so I might start trying to snipe some corners or go five hole.

Curious to see what you guys have found effective on breakaways.

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
Rookie

Maxil's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: breakaway scoring

I've found that in breakaways/shootouts/practice/etc... They've sorted the shooting a bit so regular shots go in as well.

meaning, in most of my penalty shots, straight on wristers and slap shots go in as often, if not more often, than dangler trick/deke shots... IMHO as they should, player to player of course depending on ratings. I learned several weeks ago when I got the game that the quick deke score on breakaways was toned down quite a bit, now you need to shoot towards your shooters strength.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxil
I've found that in breakaways/shootouts/practice/etc... They've sorted the shooting a bit so regular shots go in as well.

meaning, in most of my penalty shots, straight on wristers and slap shots go in as often, if not more often, than dangler trick/deke shots... IMHO as they should, player to player of course depending on ratings. I learned several weeks ago when I got the game that the quick deke score on breakaways was toned down quite a bit, now you need to shoot towards your shooters strength.
That's great to hear, I've always wanted them to make it so a well placed wrister can be just as effective, if not more so, than deking.

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 01-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 15

i usally try too go down the left side of the aboards and go a across the crease thats when goalie bites and aim for wide open net

or go down the right side of aboards and across the crease same thing but you have to deke usally the goalie does the splitz and gently farmly tuck it underneath him through five hole or little bit higher then his right leg

another one is : you sig zig your way in down the middle but go to the left in front of the net then suddenly go to the right and goalie bites in the five hole and do a slap shot or wrist shot and its in the net
Old 01-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

I've always thought it would be kind of cool to have a different camera view on a breakaway. Like a "no way anybody is going to catch you" breakaway.

They did something similar in a past NHL game, I will say 07, but I can't remember.

Have a zoomed in camera view where you could have VERY precise control over where you put your shot on a breakaway, similar to the FIFA penalty shot system.

I realize some would think it's a gimmick, but I think it would be really cool

-Herb Brooks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Rookie

Lycan38's Arena

OVR: 1

For me, at least breakaway scoring is the same as 11. I will score maybe 2 out of every 5 breakaways. I normally have to fake out the goalie with stick movement if i want to score. Just going with straight wrist shots and slap shots didn't work that well. Might get the odd one to go in from time to time.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Rookie

kdogpa's Arena

OVR: 0

It never hurts to practice in shootout mode. But my go to as of late has been forehand > backhand. It used to be backhand > forehand, but I have better percentage's with the above mentioned.

What's funny is I used to have better results with backhand > forehand, so I'm not sure if they tightened that up with one of the tuners.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Umm...I don't know what game you're all playing; you should score about 80% of the time on a breakaway against a CPU goalie. You can literally cross right in front of the net and shove one around the goalie consistently. CPU goalies have HORRIBLE side-to-side positioning, for whatever reason.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »