Home

LeBron, JC: 2012 U.S. team stacks up to Dream Team

This is a discussion on LeBron, JC: 2012 U.S. team stacks up to Dream Team within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
LeBron, JC: 2012 U.S. team stacks up to Dream Team

What do you think?

I personally know they're crazy

Quote:
Jerry Colangelo believes the 2012 U.S. Olympic men's basketball team will compare favorably to the 1992 Dream Team. LeBron James has seconded the motion.

"We can stack up with those guys," the Miami Heat forward said.

Colangelo, chairman of USA Basketball, told FOX Sports Florida last week the 2012 team in London "will be a fair comparison with the Dream Team." So FOX Sports Florida asked three expected 2012 Olympic stalwarts — James and Heat teammates Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh — if they agree.

"I agree," James said. "They set the standard for USA Basketball in '92 with all the great players they had. But we have some great ones, as well. We have some Hall of Famers, some champions. So it's going to be a great (team)."

The Dream Team marked the first time NBA players participated in the Olympics. The team featured 11 future Hall of Famers, most notably Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. The US rolled to the gold medal in Barcelona while outscoring foes by an average of 43.8 points per game.

"The Dream Team is a team — you don't really want to touch that team," said Wade, not wanting to say that 2012 will be see similar dominance. "An amazing team. But (2012 is) going to be a pretty good team. But I don't want to touch the Dream Team. . . . It's always kind of the bar (from which all other Olympic teams are compared). From that standpoint, I kind of want them to stay the bar."

The 2008 team outscored foes by an average of 27.9 points per game. But Colangelo said he believes the 2012 unit "will be much stronger than we had in 2008" because it will be "more mature, more experienced and (have) more talent."

"I would like to think that," Bosh said of Colangelo anticipating the 2012 team will stack up to 1992. "The Dream Team, they were so unique because they had all those guys who had done so much already. That was the greatest team ever assembled at that time. I don't think that will ever be replicated again. But I think we can come pretty close. We can't make that team again. But we can make the best team of this era. That was a whole 'nother day and age."
http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/01/0...4&feedID=10140
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
MVP

RedSceptile's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: LeBron, JC: 2012 U.S. team stacks up to Dream Team

No problem really.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

I don't see the point in even caring about comparing the Dream Team to teams of this era. I mean seriously. I don't know if LeBron/JC brought it up themselves or if they were asked directly about the comparison, but it's stupid.

The team should be pretty cool though with Wade/Bron/Durant/Howard/CP3

Hopefully Kobe doesn't play due to his injury
Old 01-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
yellow

23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
I don't see the point in even caring about comparing the Dream Team to teams of this era. I mean seriously. I don't know if LeBron/JC brought it up themselves or if they were asked directly about the comparison, but it's stupid.

The team should be pretty cool though with Wade/Bron/Durant/Howard/CP3

Hopefully Kobe doesn't play due to his injury
They compare these guys to the dream teamers individually all the time and alot of you guys dont seem to have a problem with that

Looks like Wade and Bosh were asked specifically though, and he answered it right
Old 01-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
They compare these guys to the dream teamers individually all the time and alot of you guys dont seem to have a problem with that

Looks like Wade and Bosh were asked specifically though, and he answered it right
I don't seem to have a problem? What do you mean? Na it's stupid to compare players from the 90's to today or players from different eras to today. I have always said that.

As far as comparing the golden team in all of basketball history to the 2012 team? I don't understand how there is even a comparison. There isn't.

There's no point in even caring about the comparison, IMO. International basketball has evolved since then, completely different game today.

The team should be ready for gold. When you have guys like Love, Griffin, Rose coming off the bench, you should be good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Who's committed to the London Squad aside from Lebron and Wade?
Old 01-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
yellow

23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
I don't seem to have a problem? What do you mean? Na it's stupid to compare players from the 90's to today or players from different eras to today. I have always said that.

As far as comparing the golden team in all of basketball history to the 2012 team? I don't understand how there is even a comparison. There isn't.

There's no point in even caring about the comparison, IMO. International basketball has evolved since then, completely different game today.

The team should be ready for gold. When you have guys like Love, Griffin, Rose coming off the bench, you should be good.

Its JC and Lebron the one's doing the comparisons.. this one isnt on the media or the fans

Pack

(Not set yet but likely to include according to CBS: )
LeBron James
Kobe Bryant
Dwyane Wade
Kevin Durant
Derrick Rose
Blake Griffin
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Dwight Howard
Kevin Love
Chris Bosh
few others(?)
Old 01-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

I don't think any guy who we expect to be there won't commit. Meaning

CP3/Wade/LBJ/Durant/Melo/Howard

They're going to have some tough choices to make to fill in the rest.

I can almost guarantee that Rose/Love will be there.

It's a shame that Blake Griffin was hurt in previous years, that have kept him from participating. I don't think they will take him since he hasn't been in the program. Have you guys heard differently?

The 4 remaining spots I would wager: Bosh, Gay, Williams, Bryant. If Kobe doesn't play due to his wrist, they'd probably go with a defensive minded player on the wing or in the paint.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »