Home

Does 2K12 have one of the cheapest AIs in modern video games?

This is a discussion on Does 2K12 have one of the cheapest AIs in modern video games? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Banned

TheAlmighty's Arena

OVR: 0
Does 2K12 have one of the cheapest AIs in modern video games?

It has to. The CPU is utterly rediculous in this game.

The scripted events, the rubberbanding. I have never been so frustrated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
By far....2k9 comes in at #2....

2k7s AI was probably the best AI...

Up until 2k8, 2k was like the only game I could play on the hardest setting and still have a decent game....
Old 01-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: Does 2K12 have one of the cheapest AIs in modern video games?

Yeah... It's too bad because this game could've been the great, but instead I sit and wait fir the cheating to unfold where I can't convert easy lay ups and the CPU 57 rated center is hitting fade away jumpers...
I am glad I got the Buell- I love riding it, I love the oddball looks I get on the road- I love people asking "What IS that thing?" I love flying into a corner WAY too hot, scared spitless and sure I'll never hold it at this speed- and hearing the bike whisper "Sissy!"...
Old 01-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
MVP

Mos1ted's Arena

OVR: 21

I've tried, and I mean I've tried, to give this game a fair shake, but I just can't do it. And it's for the exact reason you guys mention here: cheap A.I. I'm mostly an offline player, so the A.I. in a video game is extremely important to me. I desire that fine line between challenging and fair. I can get that in other games, but I can't get that in this game. I'm just so frustrated seeing my best defensive efforts thwarted by the ridiculous pumpfaking and sliding/traveling that happens in the post or seeing my best offensive efforts halted by unresponsive controls which allows the defense to recover and negate the opportunity for myself.

I haven't played FIFA 12 this year, but seeing that OS calls it the best team based sports game for 2011, I may have to go check it out. If I'm lucky, maybe I can find a used College Hoops in my area somewhere for my basketball fix. I don't think I'm going to get it with NBA 2K12.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5

YUP

I thought 2k11's was bad. The AI in 2k12 literally alters the game into their favour. People with 58 medium hitting jumpers like Jordan, everything done in the paint is an automatic block by the cpu, they can backpeddle faster than you can sprint, they don't accelerate, they RUN at full speed as soon as they take their first step, they get all the rebounds etc.. etc..

Game is BS unless you play against PEOPLE.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Banned

TheAlmighty's Arena

I think it's sad when you clamp down and play great on ball manual defense on the AI for 23 seconds, they miraculously will a shot into the basket before the shot clock expires.

If you happen to be lucky enough to make them miss that shot, one of their bigs will grab the rebound over two of your bigs to reset the shot clock.

After that, they usually score because you're human and you're bound to slip up at some point. Meanwhile, the AI makes no mistakes.

I'm in an online association at the moment and my record is suffering because I'm losing games against the AI that I should be winning.

Has 2K ever addressed this?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Rookie

8iron's Arena

OVR: 2

From what I've seen on tv, rubberbanding is a realistic portrayal of the real product being simulated. That said, I was a bit frustrated to blow a 21 point Phx lead over GS in the final 11 minutes. I made 2 hoops and 3 freethrows down that stretch.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Banned

TheAlmighty's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8iron
From what I've seen on tv, rubberbanding is a realistic portrayal of the real product being simulated. That said, I was a bit frustrated to blow a 21 point Phx lead over GS in the final 11 minutes. I made 2 hoops and 3 freethrows down that stretch.
I agree to an extent. The NBA is a game of runs, but the scripted and forced nature of how it happens in 2K makes you feel like you got beat because of the system and not because you were outplayed.

You feel helpless in the situation.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »