Home

Online questions and opinions

This is a discussion on Online questions and opinions within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
Online questions and opinions

After playing a quite a bit of online games this week, I have a few questions.

1. Do you ever concede to an opponents defeat?

2. Is there greater satisfaction in forcing an opponent to quit or winning by 50?

3. In regards to cheesing, what's your tactic in dealing with them? Do play fair or cheese back?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: Online questions and opinions

Quote:
Yes. If something life related preempts a Madden game, I'll concede. So far it's about 3-5 games this year.

Quote:
2. Is there greater satisfaction in forcing an opponent to quit or winning by 50?
I get greater satisfaction when I make fools quit... The faster I make them bug out, the more satisfaction I get. That said, I respect both the players that beat my by 50 and those that stay in games when down 50.

Quote:
3. In regards to cheesing, what's your tactic in dealing with them? Do play fair or cheese back?
I don't use 'cheese' to describe football. Instead I describe the tactic in detail according to the principles of personnel, position, and tempo. If a player is throwing a seam pass 20 yards deep to his slot receiver after his 5th step I simply adjust my play to account for the specifics of his execution - no matter what it is.

I don't change my philosophy - just the deployment.

Later
Old 12-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Perhaps cheese isn't a good word. Really bad football tactics trying to win. Whether its going for it on fourth down or using the same pass play repeatedly. I will say this year that everything has a counter. There aren't too many 'exploits' in the game.

Another question I'll ask is

Do you set up your depth chart for each team. For example, moving Peyton Manning back on the depth chart or do you use the default depth chart that you're given.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
Rookie

martz28's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
Perhaps cheese isn't a good word. Really bad football tactics trying to win. Whether its going for it on fourth down or using the same pass play repeatedly. I will say this year that everything has a counter. There aren't too many 'exploits' in the game.

Do you set up your depth chart for each team. For example, moving Peyton Manning back on the depth chart or do you use the default depth chart that you're given.

i reset the depth chart for the bears with every weeks roster update , i really dont use any other teams so yes i put injured jay cutler and forte back in.

i remember years ago in madden if a guy was hurt you didnt have the option , so i got stuck for nearly an entire season with rookie kyle orton while injured rex grossman wasnt available , funny thing is i was so happy when grossman came back but i had a better record with orton since i played a little safer lol

Last edited by martz28; 12-27-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
Rookie

martz28's Arena

OVR: 3

as far as your original questions , i will concede or offer mercy its not something i aim to do tho , i prefer close games , i want the ball last with a chance to take the lead

as far as cheese goes i stick to my balanced gameplan , eat clock with runs and short passing the occaisional deep ball and adjust my D to what the opposing offense is doing - just because the other guy does it doesnt make me want to , i would rather win or lose playing the right way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by martz28
i reset the depth chart... with every weeks roster update , i really dont use any other teams
Same with my Panthers... I never even look at any other team unless I'm stuck with them in a league or something (which is why I stopped playing in leagues).

I sub my best players into the game regardless of their real life injury status... If they are on the roster, I'll use them. But if they get injured during the game, I play the subs.

Later
Old 12-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

i have once but most my games end up my peer leaves if they losing they never try to concede to me they just quit.

2. Is there greater satisfaction in forcing an opponent to quit or winning by 50? i like when the person quits when there money plays dont work or they keep turning it over.

i play fair unless i see the person im playing trying kill clock or doing something ala cheese but mostly just go for it on 4th down since i dont know how do have so called cheese plays.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:

1. I never ask for mercy or offer it because I try to "practice" on stuff even when the game is all but decided. However, if my opponent concedes the win to me, I always accept because it seems like poor sportsmanship for me to force someone to continue to avoid quitting.

2. Forcing them to quit because most people that just "give up" like that, were poor sports to begin with. I can't recall ever playing a straight up "gg" against anyone that just up and quit because they were going to lose. This usually occurs with people with very limited "tactics" and if those don't workout, they don't want to play anymore so instead of trying to "concede", they just pull the plug. Also, I rarely intentionally run up the score period, so I can't see beating someone online by 50 points. lol

3. I continue to play "fair" and refuse to compromise my principles by using "any means necessary" to win. I often find myself psychoanalysing my opponent based on their gameplay and trying to deduce why anybody would enjoy playing a NFL simulation game like an arcade game.
Quote:

I always reset it for the best players to be on the field. That said, now that you mention it, I would prefer that this not be allowed in online ranked games though. The whole point of updating rosters and playing online ranked is supposed to be using the current available players. While I wouldn't keep my starters on the bench given the option, it should be disabled for everyone in online ranked games, imo.

Generally, I want to see online ranked do more to add decision risk/reward to games and gamer in-game decisions. I want to see things like DPP and injuries carry over for 24-48 hours in online ranked games, along with temporary bans for constantly quitting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »