Home

Old 11-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
3D

Just curious how this game was in 3D. Did it add anything to the game? Did it give you more of a "wow" factor.

I've played this game a ton and love it. Thinking about getting a new TV and debating getting a 3D TV. Just would like to hear some opinions from those who have the game and if they play it in 3D.

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew101
Just curious how this game was in 3D. Did it add anything to the game? Did it give you more of a "wow" factor.

I've played this game a ton and love it. Thinking about getting a new TV and debating getting a 3D TV. Just would like to hear some opinions from those who have the game and if they play it in 3D.

Thanks.
It's not that thrilling. Framerate suffers, game seems to dip to about 540p, and it doesn't create much more immersion when playing in general (not like it really helps you see pitches come in better or anything, that is).

I'd rather use the 2D-to-3D conversion for The Show '11 if I wanted to use 3D, simply so the visual factors don't end up suffering too much.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 11-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6
What Blzer said. I do like it on my 47LG Passive screen but it suffers too much from resolution degration and frame loss. I also need to turn down the pitch speeds when I switch to 3D, probably because of the frame loss the pitches are harder to read or maybe it's just too much for my brain I don't know

Wondering if they're gonna tweak anything about it. The graphics are probably already asking so much of the ps3 that showing the image twice just isn't possible without toning the game down a notch.

If it didn't suffer when switching to 3D I'd definitely go for it all the time. But we'll probably have to wait untill the ps4 for that. Now I occasionally switch to 3D.

Haven't tried the 2D to 3D conversion for the Show yet on my tv but overall that doesn't do too much.

Nonetheless If your on the market for a new tv it couldn't hurt going for a 3D set 'cause the 2D is still top notch. I prefer the passive technology by the way. Easier on the eyes.
I play Motortstorm/Resistance/Ratchet&Clank in 3D and love it. Next game is Uncharted 3 I wanna check in 3D.

Yo!

Last edited by LastActionHero; 11-22-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
Nonetheless If your on the market for a new tv it couldn't hurt going for a 3D set 'cause the 2D is still top notch. I prefer the passive technology by the way. Easier on the eyes.
I play Motortstorm/Resistance/Ratchet&Clank in 3D and love it. Next game is Uncharted 3 I wanna check in 3D.

Yo!
I agree with the above. It's good to future-proof your television set for now and get the 3D, meanwhile getting a superior 2D TV in the same package.

For the record, Motorstorm looks amazing in 3D. So does Super Stardust HD. Killzone looked good too (for the 3D, not the resolution), but the setting was already so dark that the tint on the glasses kind of made it suffer slightly, since it became a bit hard to see. Uncharted slightly suffered from similar issues. I don't know if this generation is ready for 3D gaming yet, at least in terms of maximizing its potential.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 11-22-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 1

I don't know what any of these dudes are talking about. the 3D is pretty awesome. I mean the Show should not be the reason you get a 3d TV...but it definitely immerses you in the game...especially hitting. With that said...the camera makes a difference. Pitching and fielding are not greatly impacted. But hitting is much cooler imo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickReturns
I don't know what any of these dudes are talking about. the 3D is pretty awesome. I mean the Show should not be the reason you get a 3d TV...but it definitely immerses you in the game...especially hitting. With that said...the camera makes a difference. Pitching and fielding are not greatly impacted. But hitting is much cooler imo
It might depend on one's camera angle. I'll try it again though, but the suffering framerate was a turn-off for me.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6
I must admit the hitting view comes out best in 3D, the pitching view could be better but maybe I should try some different angles.

Nonetheless I feel the game takes a hit when switching to 3D, framewise and graphicwise.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Playing in 3D as we speak, and I will bite my tongue about the hitting because I found that the camera angle is the selling point of making 3D stand out the best/most prominently.

I've always said this about 3D movies as well: if your camera angle has a small DOF and you apply too much focus (blurring what's not being featured), the 3D effect is minimalized. The purpose of 3D is to give you the sense that you're basically looking through a window, and if you don't apply the proper DOF for and focus everything (as well as the zoom, etc.), you're basically caught in a crossfire with having an effect for the effect's sake, as opposed to giving it real purpose.

That said, I created myself a batting view similarish to the old Genesis World Series Baseball video games, meanwhile giving it a slight offset (from the batter's perspective) and with enough downward angle to see the plate. Although you don't get to enjoy the look of the stadium and the batting stances as much, it's incredibly easy to determine balls and strikes (in a good way, like it feels natural). Also, with this view and 3D enabled, upping the pitch speed is awesome, because it feels much more lifelike.

Just food for thought. I'll post a pic of the view later when I'm done with this game.

EDIT: However, I get a lot of crosstalk when playing this game. I don't know whether to blame the TV or the game's 3D, but when you go further into the screen, it tends to show up a lot.

EDIT 2: Here's that view I'm using for 3D...

Last edited by Blzer; 11-24-2011 at 02:28 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »