Home

And another high school coach gets in trouble because of his mouth

This is a discussion on And another high school coach gets in trouble because of his mouth within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
And another high school coach gets in trouble because of his mouth

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/b...hschool-wp8603

With everybody having smart phones, it is best to just keep your mouth closed in public. People getting in trouble left and right lately.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: And another high school coach gets in trouble because of his mouth

I have no sympathy when *******s get their due. Sounds like this guy has a pattern of making stupid comments of this kind.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

This one's tough to wade through for me. I've been a witness to a handful of small deals in my community which were then twisted and turned into big deals by parents and local media outlets, so even in apparently obvious cases, I always find myself being open to the other side of the story. In this case, I wonder if "future welfare recipient if you don't get good grades" is truly a racial statement. I also wonder how the $30,000 line was presented. Could it have been a life lesson speech poorly given by a basketball coach to a team who may have happened to be mostly black?

The coach clearly could have said all of this stuff in a better way. And if his point truly was to belittle and bully African-American students, then it's an open and shut case. It's just, as an educator, I often have nightmares of having myself say something only to then see it twisted and used against me. For instance, if I'm running an open gym and a prospective player with bad grades comes up and tells me how he's going to be running my team the following year and I say something like, "Well son, not with those grades you're not" I fear an angry parent could lead to a "Coach Says Player is Stupid and Won't Play For Him" headline somewhere.

Finally, the other caveat to this story is the student saying he'd told the coach it was bothersome when he was spoken to in that manner. That should have been a clear sign for the coach to reel things in. But then again, I guess it depends on the manner with which the kid said it. I wouldn't find it far-fetched to believe the kid told him to stop in a joking manner (or just a manner that generally wasn't portrayed as sincere).

As a kid, it's tough to pull an adult aside and tell them you have a problem with their actions. It's a backwards scenario. But if he hadn't done that yet, maybe that would have been the next step (a parent-kid-teacher meeting). It sounds like they went to the principal (rightfully) and the coach was summoned, which makes it sound like he was just brought in to apologize but not to discuss. Hard to say. I think a two-way discussion would have helped a lot more than making a guy say sorry. But again, I don't know what happened. Maybe they'd already tried every other route and the coach is truly just a jerk who doesn't care. It's just hard to tell from an article like this.

Last edited by VDusen04; 11-22-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

I'm not seeing the issue with what he said.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Reason 1324 why this country is nothing more than turning into the "wuss" country.
We are already seeing the results of the "Entitled" generation. That being followed up with the "Sensitive" generation = more troubling times for the good ole USA.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Almost as annoying as trying to get someone in trouble when there really isn't anything there is the "too PC" crowd that flies in and announces how the Country is going to hell.

I dunno, I just think that when you're in certain positions that you watch what you say. I think it's really lousy if what this kid says is true, and this guy should get another job where his ignorant comments aren't directed towards kids.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 21

OK, not the worst thing he could have done, but very unnecessary and unprofessional, especially for someone in his position who kids should be able to look up to as a mentor.

There is an old saying; if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Adults should especially be aware of this axiom.

New York Giants- 1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007.

PSN ID- matt8204
Old 11-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

2 things.

1: Coach sounds like he may have been a tool. If he repeatedly told the coach how it made him feel than I feel the coach should ultimately apologize for it.

2. The kid sounds like a tool as well. Probably didn't have what it takes to make the team so he kept a grudge with the coach his 2 years at the school. Plus, if you watch the vid, he laughs along after the coach repeats it. Didn't sound like his feelings were hurt then.

Lastly, this whole ordeal is messed up to begin with. Its not like a scholar Chemistry teacher told him he would be on welfare in the future. This is a gym/basketball coach for crying out loud. Some coaches have a outrageous sense of humor and some are tight-wads. But these are not the people responsible for your education so his comment would be taken with a grain of salt. No doubt the coach is wrong if there was truly offense taken but this looks like a case of a parent stepping in and tossing their weight around.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »