Home

Blocking schemes in madden

This is a discussion on Blocking schemes in madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Blocking schemes in madden

Ive seen a cpl comments in threads about the different blocking scheme people like to use but that was a while a go, so seeing I anyone's figured anything new out, maybe different schemes for different ball running sliders?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Rookie

On sweeps left or right obviously block left and right is the way to go, but what about running effectively up the middle?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Blocking schemes in madden

I tend to pinch my line when I run a draw or zone run. Pinching the line usually forces the dline into the middle and the ends are free to run outside the tackle. I actually get good yards when I call draws and I do that.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rook2121
On sweeps left or right obviously block left and right is the way to go, but what about running effectively up the middle?
I use Aggressive on dives/inside zone/off-tackle power runs and pinch on draw plays.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Rookie

It would be sweet if we could pull a guard or tackle whenever we wanted, or design a playmaker call for the line/tight end, like call for a chip then get to the next level block, I wish I wish
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 8

I use base protections mostly, but when I change the protection I Pinch protection 99.999% of the time. I've used right/left about 4 times since Madden '05 and Aggressive twice.

That said, I'm usually blocking with at least 6.

Later
Old 11-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

On inside runs I really like to go aggressive. This gives you a great chance to get a big push or pancake on the DT, and potentially on the DE as well if there's a TE and T doubling up. That can make a really nice hole.

On stretch plays, I like to slide to that side. It puts the T reaching out to the LB and the G to the DE, leaving the TE to seal the edge better. The lone risk is the C being able to slide over to cover the DT. If your C is fast and agile, you're good. If the DT is fast and aware, you might have problems.

On shotgun runs, I've recently found that sliding the line makes a huge difference. You can run off tackle plays, sweeps, powers and bases from the Gun even against base sets and rolled-down Cover 3 looks if you slide the line to the play side. That discovery was a big one for me, as it opened up a huge part of my playbook that I never used.

A recent thing I've noticed on pass plays: If you have a play that naturally keeps a TE in and you see the LDE lined up over the TE, your TE and RT will NOT block that DE unless you go aggressive. If you see that sort of wide alignment, an aggressive adjustment will allow you better to cut off the wide rush from all the other lineman as well and will give you room to step up.

I've found that it's not always necessary to pinch the OL on pass plays, but it's smart to do it when you're throwing a short pass. Then you want to hot route your back to block to the side of the most dangerous DT and get the ball out ASAP.

When you see the sugar blitz look, I actually think it's best to make no adjustment save keeping the back in. If you pinch and the LBs bluff, you're hosed. If you go aggressive to match the wide DL rush and the LBs come, you're done. So I like to just sit pat with that look and keep my hot receiver in sight until I see I'm safe to progress to later reads.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Those are some great tips, Troj! I'll be using some of them for sure when I re-boot my Franchise (default All-Pro) using the Broncos.
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »