Home

The Passing Is Fine/Great Game

This is a discussion on The Passing Is Fine/Great Game within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The Passing Is Fine/Great Game

I keep reading post after post of people complaining about the passing when it really works fine. That being said, this game is not easy and requires ALOT of practice and getting used to. But once you do, the experience is rewarding and you won t have any problems passing.

There are so many tools at your disposal, from icon passing, to right stick passing. Each works better in certain cases. Right stick passing can be crisper and more precise for fast breaks, but you must time it correctly. Timing is key on fast breaks, and fast breaks are difficult, not easy. Watch real NBA footage and a large % of fast breaks are not converted. This is realistic. Meanwhile in the half court, you can t just lob the ball around. If you are dribbling and get into to trouble, don t expect to be able to throw the ball crosscourt or in the post and not have it stolen! You need to dribble out and reset. Offensive flow is important, and if you are driving and creating open passes then you won t have any problems. This takes time and practice. If you are just pushing buttons and don t have total control over your offensive game, then you will throw lots of bad passes!

In summary, I understand peoples frustration. The game is challenging. But get over it! Once you get the hang of it the game works as it should.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: The Passing Is Fine/Great Game

Yea slow lofty lob passes is perfect lol.. This guy talkin about practice pffffttt..
Old 11-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by do_Denver2
I keep reading post after post of people complaining about the passing when it really works fine. That being said, this game is not easy and requires ALOT of practice and getting used to. But once you do, the experience is rewarding and you won t have any problems passing.

There are so many tools at your disposal, from icon passing, to right stick passing. Each works better in certain cases. Right stick passing can be crisper and more precise for fast breaks, but you must time it correctly. Timing is key on fast breaks, and fast breaks are difficult, not easy. Watch real NBA footage and a large % of fast breaks are not converted. This is realistic. Meanwhile in the half court, you can t just lob the ball around. If you are dribbling and get into to trouble, don t expect to be able to throw the ball crosscourt or in the post and not have it stolen! You need to dribble out and reset. Offensive flow is important, and if you are driving and creating open passes then you won t have any problems. This takes time and practice. If you are just pushing buttons and don t have total control over your offensive game, then you will throw lots of bad passes!

In summary, I understand peoples frustration. The game is challenging. But get over it! Once you get the hang of it the game works as it should.
Not at all, passing is very flawed, you must be playing a very one player based game instead of a team fluid one.

Do I really need to chose different types of ways to pass? No, each player should be able to use what he likes, different but equal in terms of efficiency. Icon passing is always the same type of slow chest pass, intercepted easily, right stick passing can be more flashy sometimes but also too unpredictable, button A/X button passing is always is the wrong direction.

I've been watching NBA since the 80's, I can tell pasing is flawed in the game easily. 2K12 has some of the greatest passing teams of all time like the '87 Lakers or the '86 Celtics, has some of the best passers ever in Stockton, Magic, Nash, Bird, Big O... And you can't even use them the right way, being able to pick teams apart with passing. You're telling me that Magic can't make the right pass on a 2-1, 3-1 fastbreak? It happens to me all the time.

And I practised alot, trust me, there's no way passing is fine. I even got to work around it in 2K11 with lots of practising but 2K12 is simply impossible and frustating trying to pass correctly.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Rookie

adwin7's Arena

OVR: 2
I agree with op. I have been able to do as much with the passing game as I did last year. Except that it feels more organic now and position is important. It isn't perfect though because some mechanics don't work as they should all the time. Every so often a guy won't go where I lead him or move on a pass without the lead. This doesn't happen often but when it does its frustrating. Slow passes are usually not an issue for me because I make smart passes and only when I don't do I wish they were faster.

Some games I get a lot of turn overs because I go all 2k11 with my passes but when I'm patient I can cut my to's in half. Guys online will just try to steal passes all game, then go to the other side and iso so they don't have to pass. I average at least five or six more assist than my opponent, because I play the game the way it was meant. Find open lanes to drive and pass through. If the lane isn't open you'll get slow lobbed passes.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

u mean to tell me that u guys don't see the unrealistic tips by the cpu? U don't see the guy jumping 5 ft to steal a pass to a guy right in front of you? I watched cpu vs cpu and Steve Nash had just as much turnovers as assists.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorTown354
Not at all, passing is very flawed, you must be playing a very one player based game instead of a team fluid one.

Do I really need to chose different types of ways to pass? No, each player should be able to use what he likes, different but equal in terms of efficiency. Icon passing is always the same type of slow chest pass, intercepted easily, right stick passing can be more flashy sometimes but also too unpredictable, button A/X button passing is always is the wrong direction.

I've been watching NBA since the 80's, I can tell pasing is flawed in the game easily. 2K12 has some of the greatest passing teams of all time like the '87 Lakers or the '86 Celtics, has some of the best passers ever in Stockton, Magic, Nash, Bird, Big O... And you can't even use them the right way, being able to pick teams apart with passing. You're telling me that Magic can't make the right pass on a 2-1, 3-1 fastbreak? It happens to me all the time.

And I practised alot, trust me, there's no way passing is fine. I even got to work around it in 2K11 with lots of practising but 2K12 is simply impossible and frustating trying to pass correctly.
I play a balanced team offense, usually as the 93-94 Rockets. Now having watched alot of that team, just getting the ball down into the post was an ordeal which usually involved several passes around the permiter, dribble moves, pass fakes etc... before the ball finally went into Hakeem. So I don t expect in this game to just come down and press a couple buttons and have the pass go in clean.

As for dribble penetrations and passing it seems to work most of the time when I make good decisions. I haven t played much as Magic, so I don t know what your problem is. I don t have any problems mixing in the total control passing with other types of passing. I mean if your quick enough you can even tap RB move the right stick reel quick and press a player icon to hit a cutter, which is freakin awsome!

Also I play on All Star level with Majestic s sliders (slightly tweaked to my liking).
Old 11-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 8

Oh please. It's absolutely impossible to swing the ball around the perimeter like an NBA team can. You'll encounter at least one ridiculously slow pass animation, and likely an unnecessary bobbled reception.

You can't play an inside-out game effectively because the low pass rating given to 98% of bigs results in their kick out passes being covered in baby oil. You have NBA players dropping simple passes between their legs like children.

The ball movement in this game is a far cry from mimicking NBA ball movement. Players don't "pop" their passes and the ball isn't consistently the fastest object on the court. The 2k devs themselves have admitted it's a low point. Stop trying to play the "you just need to get a hang of it" card.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
MVP

TUSS11's Arena

OVR: 12

Passing is turrible.

1. You can't choose the type of pass to make.
2. The game usually chooses the wrong type of pass.
3. The receiver slides behind the defender when you go to make a pass.
4. Passes are slow, and float too much.
5. The receiver fumbles the ball far too much.
6. The receiver turns into Usain Bolt on lead passes to the hoop.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »