Home

Passing is infuriating

This is a discussion on Passing is infuriating within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Passing is infuriating

Ok, I have been playing the game for a while now and at first I figured the many intercepted passes and steals of the cpu was just my inexperience.
However after weeks of playing, I can honestly say the passing system is (still) the most flawed aspect of NBA 2k.

Obviously they should make a system where you hold down a button and then have the option of a straight pass, bounce pass, over the top hard and over the top lob. 2k claims the system has been created so that AI chooses what kind of pass it will be depending on the situation. This does not work at all since I've seen very few, if at all, bounce passes or any adjustment like passing around a player when he's all up in your face instead of straightforward.

This is the most annoying part because in real life you can just (bounce) pass around a defender or at least try to. There is no option to do that here. The other one is when you have a defender in front and a player is getting open under the basket, you try to pass it and 9/10 times it gets stolen. Why? Because the guy passes straight or lobs it like an idiot so not high enough.

The other part is passing in fast break situations. There is still no easy way to pass it to the guy who's in front. You would have to be so quick to notice which position the player has, hold R1 and press the right button. This makes you lose precious time so defenders are already back or it gets stolen.

Am I the only one in this and does anybody have any tips or other info that I'm maybe unaware of and makes me solve this annoying problem. To me it's a game changer, because I'm really losing games because of so many TOs on simple fast breaks and passes that get intercepted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
All Star

OVR: 24
Re: Passing is infuriating

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow86
Ok, I have been playing the game for a while now and at first I figured the many intercepted passes and steals of the cpu was just my inexperience.
However after weeks of playing, I can honestly say the passing system is (still) the most flawed aspect of NBA 2k.

Obviously they should make a system where you hold down a button and then have the option of a straight pass, bounce pass, over the top hard and over the top lob. 2k claims the system has been created so that AI chooses what kind of pass it will be depending on the situation. This does not work at all since I've seen very few, if at all, bounce passes or any adjustment like passing around a player when he's all up in your face instead of straightforward.

This is the most annoying part because in real life you can just (bounce) pass around a defender or at least try to. There is no option to do that here. The other one is when you have a defender in front and a player is getting open under the basket, you try to pass it and 9/10 times it gets stolen. Why? Because the guy passes straight or lobs it like an idiot so not high enough.

The other part is passing in fast break situations. There is still no easy way to pass it to the guy who's in front. You would have to be so quick to notice which position the player has, hold R1 and press the right button. This makes you lose precious time so defenders are already back or it gets stolen.

Am I the only one in this and does anybody have any tips or other info that I'm maybe unaware of and makes me solve this annoying problem. To me it's a game changer, because I'm really losing games because of so many TOs on simple fast breaks and passes that get intercepted.
As someone that normally sticks up for 2K12 in his posts. This is the one area that i have the most trouble with as well. The patch is suppose to help in this area. I am on 360 for 2k12 so i don't know how much better it will be.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Agreed passing sucks, so annoying when you have a friend talking smack in your face and the CPU keeps throwing cross court passes Which get picked off. I'm posting up the entry passer is wide open after they double the post and it keeps throwing cross court passes leading to a fast break and dunk for the other team.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I pulled out 2k10 for some reason the other day to see how much it changed, and the passing is, too me, superior. It started to get screwy in 2k11, and double that for 2k12.

In 2k10-
1) the passes where thrown when the button was pressed,
2) the defenders didn't fly into a Superman steal animation as soon as you pressed pass,
3) and most shocking of all the passing button passed to who I intended it too.

The minuses where big men could pass like Magic and lead passes were astonishingly easy to do, but those are gone now for the most part.

The ideal passing system for me in 2k13 would be-
1) players with 80 pass ratings would pass like 2k10. Instantaneous.
2) players with 90 or above would pass like 2k10 with 2k11's wraparound passes.
3) players with 70 or below would pass like they do in 2k12 but with faster animations(thats how slow 2k12's passing is).
4) bring back the bounce pass button(and a lob button would be nice).
5) defensive steal AI only knows where you are passing when the ball leaves your hands. The less their stealing and defensive awareness %, the slower they are to reading you.
6) More control over those "can't handle the pass" animations the higher your hands % is. Maybe if you let go of turbo and the left stick the animation ends sooner.

For the last two years, Visual Concepts wanted passing to be more of a challenge, but passing shouldn't be a big challenge for good passers. I miss the excitement of doing split-second pass decisions in the paint or on the break with a superior passer. That, to me, was the most fun aspect of NBA 2k throughout the years.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 8

Ball movement is too animation heavy, both with the passes themselves and the players receiving.

Players in 2k are also brutal at putting the ball into the shooting pocket. Far too many passes around the perimeter result in slow catch animations that negate good ball movement.

The bobbling off passes is completely overdone this year too, you'd never know they were NBA players due to the frequency of dropped passes. It's damn near impossible to play an inside-out game since 90% of passes thrown from bigs are juggled.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
Pro

TeddyKGB's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWiLL02
The bobbling off passes is completely overdone this year too, you'd never know they were NBA players due to the frequency of dropped passes. It's damn near impossible to play an inside-out game since 90% of passes thrown from bigs are juggled.
This.

And in regards to the slow passing animations, whenever I see one of these, I think of Coach Norman Dale's passing drill in Hoosiers: "Pop the ball. Pop it!". I wish my players would "pop the ball" when passing.

Also, how nice would it be to see some bullet passes? They're totally absent in the game.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
MVP

Mos1ted's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava Medvadenko
I pulled out 2k10 for some reason the other day to see how much it changed, and the passing is, too me, superior. It started to get screwy in 2k11, and double that for 2k12.

In 2k10-
1) the passes where thrown when the button was pressed,
2) the defenders didn't fly into a Superman steal animation as soon as you pressed pass,
3) and most shocking of all the passing button passed to who I intended it too.

The minuses where big men could pass like Magic and lead passes were astonishingly easy to do, but those are gone now for the most part.

The ideal passing system for me in 2k13 would be-
1) players with 80 pass ratings would pass like 2k10. Instantaneous.
2) players with 90 or above would pass like 2k10 with 2k11's wraparound passes.
3) players with 70 or below would pass like they do in 2k12 but with faster animations(thats how slow 2k12's passing is).
4) bring back the bounce pass button(and a lob button would be nice).
5) defensive steal AI only knows where you are passing when the ball leaves your hands. The less their stealing and defensive awareness %, the slower they are to reading you.
6) More control over those "can't handle the pass" animations the higher your hands % is. Maybe if you let go of turbo and the left stick the animation ends sooner.

For the last two years, Visual Concepts wanted passing to be more of a challenge, but passing shouldn't be a big challenge for good passers. I miss the excitement of doing split-second pass decisions in the paint or on the break with a superior passer. That, to me, was the most fun aspect of NBA 2k throughout the years.
I was saying in another thread how NBA 2K10 was the superior game to 2K12 from an offensive standpoint, and people thought I was crazy. It was much easier to work the ball around in 2K10. The only thing 2K12 does better offensively is the post game. The playcallling improvements in 2K12 are negated by the awful passing.

The flaw in 2K10 wasn't the passing, but it was the lack of help defense. That's what lead to the crazy lead passing. Players weren't rotating over to cover the receiver.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 9

I agree with this issue. A remedy for offline association is to increase the game speed and lower the player speed. You can only access this menu at the controller select screen before a game by pressing the block button. Increasing the game speed makes all the animations faster. Reducing the player speed slows the movement speed. You can also just lower the player speed if you want because increasing the game speed decreases the shot release windows. I play with 65 game speed and 45 player speed.

This player speed option needs to be added to every mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »