Home

Why do people say scouting is easy?

This is a discussion on Why do people say scouting is easy? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-03-2011, 03:00 AM   #1
Banned

PatriotJames's Arena

OVR: 20
Why do people say scouting is easy?

I scouted on my own simulating a season and drafted accordingly. I ended up with a 72 ovr A pot, 70 ovr B pot after that 3 C's, a D, and an F.

Maybe there's a system to it. I'm sure every other CPU team drafted better than me!!

I want to know whyyy you guys think it's so easy!?

BTW - When you get to unlock 5 complete ratings, that's how I found out the one was an A potential. If it wasn't for that, I could have been stuck with worse.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Why do people say scouting is easy?

thats because your using the scouting system the way its ment to played while everyone else uses the big potential exploit taking the fun out of it.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gipetto
thats because your using the scouting system the way its ment to played while everyone else uses the big potential exploit taking the fun out of it.
Exactly. I find the draft to be an extremely fun challenge. When I get a great/good draft I feel really accomplished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeg
In all of the pre release CCM news people like Looman kept saying, "You might see a guy like Kurt Warner come out of retirement. Anything can happen."

He should have said "You will see Kurt Warner come out of retirement. That's about it."
Old 11-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarantism
Exactly. I find the draft to be an extremely fun challenge. When I get a great/good draft I feel really accomplished.
I love scouting. I usually only scout linemen during the season, as their blocking stats are shown. Usually a HB coming up with 3 +'s or more will be good. You can also scout QB's when the "THA" bit is shown. You can make an educated guess on their DAC by looking at their overall accuracy and SAC, MAC.

The trickiest position for me to draft is WR. I can never get a good bead on them. My best pick was a throw away pick on a round 7 DT, only to find
Spoiler
Old 11-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

i havent heard too many say its easy. Ive heard some say that its broken becuase you cant use it in a loical way and have it work. There is no reason you should only scout linemen during the season, nore is there a reason why i would want to know a QBs zone coverage skills.

The only way to be fair and not have a complete crap shoot is to cheat which makes it easy but that is only a reaction to the games mechanics being ********.

NFL HC09 their system was fun and challenging, this system is highly flawed. Yuo have two options, try your hardest but end up picking blind by round 4, or cheat. Neither option is effective.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Rookie

I can see the point about it not being realistic, but that's a stupid reason to cheat through it. If you get all A players, how is franchise mode even fun after a few years?

I use it as designed (even though it's flawed), and I get very realistic drafts. I have to focus on certain position groups that I need and then I have to take chances on others that I haven't looked at as closely during scouting. I'm a big fan, as long as I ignore the random stats it throws at you that are irrelevant to a player's overall.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Pro

The scouting system is actually pretty difficult. Yeah, there are some gems in the late rounds, but you have absolutely no idea that they're gems until they're drafted and signed. There is no way to tell who you should spend your time scouting. Even guys projected to go in the first round wind up being pretty poor players. Although I think the scouting system needs quite a bit of work, I still use it the way it was intended. The main drawback in using it as intended is that you might wind up with a bunch of terrible draft picks. They could at lease give you all of the players combine numbers. You don't even know how fast these players are unless you scout them.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

Here's some scouting tips:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-scouting.html

With this in hand, IMO it's pretty easy to get A - B QBs, LBs, and OL. It's a bit harder but doable to get great DBS. As I wrote in an earlier thread, it can be soul-crushingly difficult to draft WRS and DL.

I've since modified my strategy: if I want an WR bad enough, I try to find one to the exclusion of all else (with the exception of OL during the season). Pro days will reveal the release attribute.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »