Home

No dunk package for Dr. J?

This is a discussion on No dunk package for Dr. J? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
No dunk package for Dr. J?

Booted up 2k12 the other night and I notice Julius freaking Erving doesn't have any signature dunks? Is this the same for every one else? I'm asking because I know there were problems earlier with Scottie Pippen losing his package if you edit him.

If it's really not there, it seems pretty weak not to give one of greatest dunkers ever something unique.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: No dunk package for Dr. J?

I was hoping besides the around the backboard layup, it seems like his dunks are super weaksauce. No cuff the ball dunk? Maybe his dunks were so awesome no one could replicate them.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
All Star

st0rmb11's Arena

OVR: 30

the only reason you lose a player's dunk package (Scottie Pippen) when you edit them, is because their dunk rating isn't high enough for their dunk package. bump their dunk rating up to 85, and you'll have access to all dunk packages again.

as far as a Dr. J dunk package - he doesn't have one in the game. and I really don't see why he should. He was a great dunker, but he didn't do any dunks that are that unique, or that can't be replicated with someone else's dunk package. the cuff the ball windmill was great, but how many other dunks of his were really that different from anyone else? what made him stand out was how high up he could get and how he waved the ball around like it was a softball. a dunk package can't replicate that.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0rmb11
as far as a Dr. J dunk package - he doesn't have one in the game. and I really don't see why he should. He was a great dunker, but he didn't do any dunks that are that unique, or that can't be replicated with someone else's dunk package. the cuff the ball windmill was great, but how many other dunks of his were really that different from anyone else? what made him stand out was how high up he could get and how he waved the ball around like it was a softball. a dunk package can't replicate that.
I respectfully disagree with some of your points. I think Julius Erving would be a great candidate for a signature dunk package. I found his style very unique for the exact reasons you mentioned. The manner with which he was able to maneuver the ball in mid-air (thanks to his giant hands) was very unique. Larry Nance and JaVale McGee are two other players with a similar palming ability. Those giant handed, palming dunking styles seemed to make even routine dunks by these players look different, which would be all the more reason to offer dunk packages for them.

Back on Erving, with him being one of the first five featured icons in this year's game (alongside Larry, Magic, Michael, and Kareem) and with a very notable dunking fashion, I almost felt having his own package available would be a foregone conclusion. Maybe that cuff dunk windmill over Michael Cooper was a rare occurrence, but I can't say I wouldn't have loved to have the ability to pull that jam off in 2K. Further, he had a different way of dunking from the free throw line than MJ. It was more "giant hand holding nerf ball skies from way out" (as opposed to MJ's glide). Finally, his tomahawk facials (akin to those famously completed in the '77 Finals) were also unique to Dr. J.

As it stands now, most tomahawk dunks I can give to Erving look similar to this:

It's pretty clear the player isn't really palming the ball as much as he's using gravity and inertia to his advantage in bringing the ball back and slamming it forward. It's cool, but it's clearly not Dr. J-like at all. I envisioned Erving signature dunks looking like numberes 2 & 3 on the countdown below:

As a solution, what I ended up doing was giving Julius Erving Michael Jordan's package for now and seeing if that worked. It's got the cradle rock and a free throw line finish (albeit both different variations from Erving). Further, Jordan could also palm the rock as securely as Erving, so I figured it'd work for now. I also gave Erving the custom reverse double pump dunk off one foot (similar to the no. 10 jam in the clip above).

Last edited by VDusen04; 10-31-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 10

Change is position to PF and use "TP" dunk package. Alot of palming tomahawks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
Rookie

I would think James Worthy's package would be the best fit.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNPhatz
I would think James Worthy's package would be the best fit.
That sounds wrong. James Worthy's DUNK package.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:19 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperballer21
Change is position to PF and use "TP" dunk package. Alot of palming tomahawks
I am intrigued. What does the TP stand for?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »