Home

Am I playing the same game you are?

This is a discussion on Am I playing the same game you are? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 19
Am I playing the same game you are?

It's not a new occurrence for these boards to have their share of complaining this time of year. Each 2k game, and every other game for that matter, have their hiccups, glitches, and ugly parts. This year, however, seems to be over-the-top in the amount of negative threads and posts. This phenomenon has led to this question: Are we playing the same game?

Maybe there are differences between PC (my platform), 360, and PS3. Maybe it's that I only play against people that I know when I don't play the CPU. Maybe it's that I am not looking for "perfection". Maybe it's that I am not obsessed with HOF mode and trying to "beat the game". Maybe it's that I want a fun, challenging game that at least approaches realism. Maybe it's that I can use my imagination when I play to add to the experience. Maybe it's that I don't hunt out and focus on flaws.

Maybe it's the above things or something else. What I know is that I've been playing on Pro mode with custom sliders that I have been thinking about posting, and I've been having a blast. The stats I get are within the realm of realism. There are hot streaks and cold streaks. The games I'm supposed to win, I usually win. The games I'm supposed to lose, I usually lose.

The thing is, I never know what's going to happen and every game is fun. I haven't played a scripted game yet. I haven't played a game yet where I felt like I didn't have a chance to win or that I was guaranteed a win. When I win I pay attention to what I did right and when I lose I accept responsibility for the mistakes I made and try to learn from them. I've never, in over 20 years of video game experience, played a basketball game that was as close to real-life as this one.

The animations, AI, fast break, ball movement, and differences between each individual and team on the game is amazing. The depth of the editable features is insane. I can take this game and play it with out of the box rosters for a fun experience or I can edit the rosters to my liking for a realistic experience. Even with original rosters, as I've learned the nuances of the game, I've gotten games that strongly resembled real-life basketball.

2K, if you are reading this, keep up the outstanding work. There are definitely things that you can improve on, and I'm confident will be addressed in the upcoming patch, but I give you credit for giving us the best basketball game I've ever seen.

OS members, if you're reading this, I hope your experience with this title is better than what mine has been so far. If it's not, maybe we're not playing the same game.
Acts 2:38. Let the truth be told.
John 4:23. He is seeking a seeker.
John 3:20. Say no to normal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Am I playing the same game you are?

Well, you're being unnecessarily dramatic here, but I agree. 2K12 has errors (many of which I've only noticed because of other people whining), but I definitely enjoy this game and it's much more than just playable.
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays
NCAA BB: Kentucky Wildcats
CFL: B.C. Lions
Old 10-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
MVP

A critical response to my post that was criticizing the criticism of others?

*Smiling and Nodding*
Old 10-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm44
It's not a new occurrence for these boards to have their share of complaining this time of year. Each 2k game, and every other game for that matter, have their hiccups, glitches, and ugly parts. This year, however, seems to be over-the-top in the amount of negative threads and posts. This phenomenon has led to this question: Are we playing the same game?

Maybe there are differences between PC (my platform), 360, and PS3. Maybe it's that I only play against people that I know when I don't play the CPU. Maybe it's that I am not looking for "perfection". Maybe it's that I am not obsessed with HOF mode and trying to "beat the game". Maybe it's that I want a fun, challenging game that at least approaches realism. Maybe it's that I can use my imagination when I play to add to the experience. Maybe it's that I don't hunt out and focus on flaws.

Maybe it's the above things or something else. What I know is that I've been playing on Pro mode with custom sliders that I have been thinking about posting, and I've been having a blast. The stats I get are within the realm of realism. There are hot streaks and cold streaks. The games I'm supposed to win, I usually win. The games I'm supposed to lose, I usually lose.

The thing is, I never know what's going to happen and every game is fun. I haven't played a scripted game yet. I haven't played a game yet where I felt like I didn't have a chance to win or that I was guaranteed a win. When I win I pay attention to what I did right and when I lose I accept responsibility for the mistakes I made and try to learn from them. I've never, in over 20 years of video game experience, played a basketball game that was as close to real-life as this one.

The animations, AI, fast break, ball movement, and differences between each individual and team on the game is amazing. The depth of the editable features is insane. I can take this game and play it with out of the box rosters for a fun experience or I can edit the rosters to my liking for a realistic experience. Even with original rosters, as I've learned the nuances of the game, I've gotten games that strongly resembled real-life basketball.

2K, if you are reading this, keep up the outstanding work. There are definitely things that you can improve on, and I'm confident will be addressed in the upcoming patch, but I give you credit for giving us the best basketball game I've ever seen.

OS members, if you're reading this, I hope your experience with this title is better than what mine has been so far. If it's not, maybe we're not playing the same game.
100% cosign!!!.
Im on the PC version PRO mode with some custom sliders and this game is just challenging and fun. I agree with everything in your post and feel the exact same way about everything.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
Pro

ClevelandinDistress's Arena

OVR: 10

Bro we must share the same brain or something. Was thinking of writing a post similar to this for days. Play on pro default and I'm having an absolute blast. This game is 10000 times better than 2k11 against CPU. Online though this game definately has some balancing issues. All in all I am extremely enjoying 2k12 and having an absolute blast.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 10

Great post, Slimm. Im with you man, i absolutely love this game.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
Pro

TeddyKGB's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm44
The animations, AI, fast break, ball movement, and differences between each individual and team on the game is amazing.
You lost me there. The fast breaks in the game are too easy for a lone cpu defender to stop, while ball movement is largely discouraged by the handsy, overly predictive cpu defense and the nonsensical movement of the free-flow offense.

Still, I am enjoying the game - mostly in user v. user mode.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyKGB
You lost me there. The fast breaks in the game are too easy for a lone cpu defender to stop, while ball movement is largely discouraged by the handsy, overly predictive cpu defense and the nonsensical movement of the free-flow offense.

Still, I am enjoying the game - mostly in user v. user mode.
Lower hustle to 25 for fast-break purposes. The hustle slider appears to be, at least in part, a speed boost for the defenders playing transition D. If you lower it substantially, you'll see the players' true speed rating come through gameplay more.

Also, lower play passing lanes slider to 15-20. I've found the passing lanes slider has the biggest effect on how the CPU controlled defenders react to passes. It allows for more effective post entry passes, cross court passes, and ball movement in general.

Try these tweaks out and let me know what you think.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »