Home

Problem with layups

This is a discussion on Problem with layups within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
Problem with layups

Does anybody else have any issues with layups? Unless I have somebody who can dunk over the top of the big man I either miss the challenged lay up or get blocked, which wouldnt be a problem except it never matters who the center is or who the person I'm using to get to hole it, example, I played with a few of the greatest mode teams and played the bobcats each time just to see how I could, and Kwame Brown could absolutely destroy anybody who tried to lay it in around him, and I'm sorry but Kareem, and penny, and players of this caliber should have no problems taking it to him, granted I was playing on superstar but still? I've played every other 2K game on HOF, and it seemed as if every time he didn't get a block I missed the layup, same thing happens when i play a friend, it's like the player going for the layup either misses or purposely shoots it into the defenders hand, I had Doug Christie get blocked into the ground play after play and chris webber missed, I repeat missed 8 layups, they werent blocked but MISSED! Just a little confusion as to way 2K would change there game to this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
edy
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Problem with layups

I agree with you but i think there is another problem too, when you have an open driving many times would to dunk and instead you will often see a missed layup , i think gameslides are not so functionally like last year and mayeb there is a bug over any of these.A nyway i suggest you to test gameslides to have your favourite match.I love so much nba 2k that i don't want believe that 2k12 is not so much better than 2k11.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:54 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I have a similar experience, it seems that any sort of contested layup is an auto-miss, or they're too easily blocked. I'm scoring all my points now using the postup game and getting open jumpers, but it seems that isolation plays (driving past the defender, getting to the rim, finishing) are a lot more difficult. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be more active with the change shot or something?

I'm playing on pro-default.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:32 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 8

What I think is going on here is two things, both of them stemming from user error.

#1 Do you know that there is a way to choose between layups and dunks? I can't quite tell from your post, but it seems like you don't. Turbo (RT/R2) + Shotsick = Dunk attempt. Running into the lane releasing turbo and then using the shot stick lets you choose from various layups. and LT/L2 + shotstick gives you others. I'm not going to go into more detail on this here. Find the training camp mode in the menu and practice with MJ. He'll show you.

#2 What it sounds like is happening is you're just trying to turbo and dunk which will trigger a contested layup animation which is easy to block, and this makes sense. If you try to raise up and dunk with someone in the way they aren't going to let you do it easily so you usually get one of these animations. You have a better chance of dunking "on" someone if you're using someone with high Dunk + Vert + Strength, but even then it isn't guaranteed.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:09 AM   #5
Rookie

I read about not using turbo much and it still happens maily on double clutch layups.

If It is user error I can accept that though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2011, 05:21 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotobu
What I think is going on here is two things, both of them stemming from user error.

#1 Do you know that there is a way to choose between layups and dunks? I can't quite tell from your post, but it seems like you don't. Turbo (RT/R2) + Shotsick = Dunk attempt. Running into the lane releasing turbo and then using the shot stick lets you choose from various layups. and LT/L2 + shotstick gives you others. I'm not going to go into more detail on this here. Find the training camp mode in the menu and practice with MJ. He'll show you.

#2 What it sounds like is happening is you're just trying to turbo and dunk which will trigger a contested layup animation which is easy to block, and this makes sense. If you try to raise up and dunk with someone in the way they aren't going to let you do it easily so you usually get one of these animations. You have a better chance of dunking "on" someone if you're using someone with high Dunk + Vert + Strength, but even then it isn't guaranteed.
Sorry I was unclear. Yup, I'm aware of the difference. The L2 moves seem to be the most consistent way, but a lot of them still trigger the contact animation. I guess that's by design. Anyway, as I said in another thread, the problem I've been having is using the "small scoring PG" types like Rondo and DRose. Like I said, the layups miss all the time when contested, and are too easily blocked from behind or something when I do get a "non-contested" animation. If it's just user error, then I can accept that haha

I guess I should also work on getting free from the defense, which I've been having a hard time doing. Still getting used to the isomotion. )

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:28 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 8

Yeah you have to pick and choose your spots. If you're ready to attack the basket try just calling a quick isolation to clear the lane, and/or call for a pick to draw one of the bigs out to stay with his man You can also choose between left handed and right handed as well. You may also want to add the runner to your arsenal. This is good for when you're driving, and see that you may get blocked. I wont deny that blocking this year is a bit overboard with the new "live-ball" system, but you'll get used to it to an extent.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 AM   #8
Rookie

Whats are peoples general feeling are there too many blicks or is it just getting used to a new game and how it works?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »