Home

Game Enjoyment

This is a discussion on Game Enjoyment within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-16-2011, 02:11 AM   #1
Rookie

seawolves9's Arena

OVR: 7
Icon5 Game Enjoyment

How are you guys enjoying the game? I want to like the game, I really do. I've tried sliders, different game modes, game play styles, custom tactics, game levels, basically everything I can to enjoy this game, but in the end, I always come away feeling disappointed or let down at certain aspects of the game, mainly with the gameplay. I've become fed up with the way that the CPU teams and players all play the same. Even lower level teams can pass the ball around like they're world class players, and dribble the same to. You close them down? Good job. They cut and move the ball on their feet like they're Messi. Such ball control and agility. It's kind of amusing to this point. What makes matters worse is that when defending, the defenders always seem to have a "pause" when changing direction, which I feel like they should, but combine that with the quickness and ball control of the CPU offense and it's game over. I can't tell you how many times I've locked opponents down, only to see them dribble there way backwards and pin point a pass to the box, have that player cut and dribble a little bit, turn, and shoot a dribbler from outside the box, and somehow beat my goalkeeper with it.

If you read all that, I applaud you. It was a lot. I hope you don't take me for a disgruntled casual gamer who is having troubles adjusting to TD or to the fact that you can't ping pong your way to goals anymore. That's not how I play. I play on all-manual, and have since FIFA 10. I play the game like it should be played, but the problem is, the game itself isn't built to represent the beautiful game of soccer. So trying to replicate that experience just results in failure and frustration on my part.

So, back to the original, honest, sincere, question: How are you able to enjoy the game? Mindsets, game play tips, anything would help. I don't want to give up on this game because I'm a gamer. I love sports/sports games. I'm just getting tired of these games being released that are supposed to represent their respective sport but fall short. Maybe my expectations are just too high, I don't know...

Thanks for reading
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2011, 02:24 AM   #2
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Game Enjoyment

I hear ya. I've been playing this game alot lately while I wait on an option file for the other soccer game. I've finally found some settings that make games more enjoyable for me. Also I feel that the funnest way for me to play is career mode controlling my virtual pro only.

The main thing that bothers me and I've tried everything to find a solution but to no avail, is that the cpu just won't shoot and really won't attack. I usually outshoot them by a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio. I've thought about moving up to legendary but the final scores for my games on world class are usually decided by a goal or two.

We just gotta resign to the fact that it is what it is. Love it or leave it.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:40 AM   #3
Rookie

seawolves9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
We just gotta resign to the fact that it is what it is. Love it or leave it.
That's what I started to think after the patch mess with NCAA.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:40 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

i had this problem defending, usually when they are outside of the penalty box, dun even try to lock them down, it doesnt work 80% of the time and they would just cheese turn their way to goal(at least on legendary difficulty), i just try and contain them to the penalty box and tackle when im side by side
Old 10-16-2011, 02:53 AM   #5
Rookie

seawolves9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin192
i had this problem defending, usually when they are outside of the penalty box, dun even try to lock them down, it doesnt work 80% of the time and they would just cheese turn their way to goal(at least on legendary difficulty), i just try and contain them to the penalty box and tackle when im side by side
That's exactly what I've seen on Legendary as well. The actual button for contain doesn't really do anything, as you're basically toast if the CPU decides to turn at all. You're left flat footed and destroyed. And from there there's nothing you can do. It's all I started to see. Even with manually containing/jockeying if you try to turn the other way to follow the ball, your player pauses, so to speak, creating that much more separation.

What makes matters worse to me is that the AI on the other hand, is nearly GODLY compared to yours. They can mark anyone with anyone, doesn't matter of speed or ball control really. The AI defenders still poke the ball out while you're mid sprint, stopping the ball on the spot as well. It just doesn't sit right with me to see that. Anything the CPU can do, I should be able to do, and vice versa. But on any level of play I see areas where they're clearly programmed better than me. It's just on higher levels, the frequency of seeing this 'perfect' play form the CPU is much higher. I feel like the CPU can read my mind.

Another thing I forgot to mention in my original post, is the lack of effort put forth by your players. I know it's been kind of a stigma with the FIFA series, but it seems to have gotten worse this iteration. I've seen on countless times where I will pass the ball to an open teammate, only to have him stand in place OR float backwards, while the defender is storming for the ball and steals it. Same thing on corners/crosses. Players aren't aggressive enough.

CPU can also back pedal it seems. I was playing a game earlier, where a defender from West Brom was back pedaling stride for stride with Lukaku. That's not right.

Not to turn this into a hate/bash EA thread, that's not my intention at all, but has anyone else thought about how easy of a job it would be to mediate the community involvement for their games? I might be understating, as I don't really have an understanding of what the job is actually for, but to me, it seems all you would have to do is come onto a dedicated sports form like OS and just ask what the glaring holes in the foundation and nuances in the sport. And anyone on here would gladly assist you and give you a detailed description of any issue.

/end rant/

Any other opinions? What you're seeing?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2011, 03:16 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

good mention about the lack of effort by ur forward players, this is something that is perfect in the pes series for years but just absent in FIFA, the open man should at least try and win the ball from a pass rather than waiting for the ball to come to him.

oh well i have tuned down to world class, at least the cpu gives me space to breath after my every pass, as long as it lets me enjoy my game better, i dun mind not playing at the highest level
Old 10-16-2011, 05:05 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 1

Set the CPU speed, accel, pass error and shot error sliders differently for high level teams than for low level teams. Apart from editing player ratings, that's one way to get teams to play differently.

To get CPU teams to attack and shoot more -- and to see more CPU fouls -- raise CPU team tactic shooting and pressure ratings, and raise the CPU man marking slider. These settings also greatly help with the issue of getting teams to play differently.

It's all in the tweaking fellas. The sliders are great in that they really work, and they allow you to pretty much customize the game however you like. I have always played FIFA on Semi-Pro or Pro. This year, by simply lowering CPU speed and accel sliders, I'm able to have competitive games with the CPU on Legendary.

Last edited by peigone; 10-16-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:22 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolves9
I can't tell you how many times I've locked opponents down, only to see them dribble there way backwards and pin point a pass to the box, have that player cut and dribble a little bit, turn, and shoot a dribbler from outside the box, and somehow beat my goalkeeper with it.
Yeah, all very familiar. The CPU pinpoint passing followed by yet another goal is easily fixed by raising the CPU pass error and shot error sliders. And I'll repeat the "easily fixed" part of that to emphasize that it's just a matter of two simple slider tweaks.

Lowering CPU speed and accel sliders will help with the CPU psychically spinning away and eluding tackles (and with the above issue). But the real problem there is CPU player agility ratings need to be lowered by 50%, which unfortunately is too much work for most people of course. The CPU uber-agility is maybe the most ridiculous aspect of FIFA this year. But this series and their NHL series has always been about over-the-top CPU play to satisfy the young thumb jockies, so it's no surprise. It's just too bad that us older folk who would prefer to see realistic, authentic gameplay have to suffer as a result.

Last edited by peigone; 10-16-2011 at 05:29 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »