Home

Picking the right game

This is a discussion on Picking the right game within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Pro

timmuh1515's Arena

OVR: 5
Picking the right game

I've bought fifa twice over the past 5/6 years but haven't had a soccer game for a while now. I myself am getting back into playing soccer, after a long time away from the game, so i'm getting the itch to purchase a video game.

Fifa is comfortable to me. I played the demo and it feels a lot like it always has. Fun...but it just seems to be missing something.

I then downloaded the PES demo. I'm not used to the controls at all but the gameplay left me intrigued.

I know there's a lot of information out there on both games and i will continue to look into it. I guess i'm hoping someone can just talk up PES a little and why they chose it or stick with it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Picking the right game

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmuh1515
I've bought fifa twice over the past 5/6 years but haven't had a soccer game for a while now. I myself am getting back into playing soccer, after a long time away from the game, so i'm getting the itch to purchase a video game.

Fifa is comfortable to me. I played the demo and it feels a lot like it always has. Fun...but it just seems to be missing something.

I then downloaded the PES demo. I'm not used to the controls at all but the gameplay left me intrigued.

I know there's a lot of information out there on both games and i will continue to look into it. I guess i'm hoping someone can just talk up PES a little and why they chose it or stick with it.
I also had FIFA before and I had a blast playing it. I really enjoyed it and was amazed how much it improved from previous years (2006 and before). I had left PES until this year but I came back mostly because of Master LEague. Truth is , FIFA was very fun to play but PES has a certain something that each game feels different (dont ask me what).
In Fifa I did a career mode with arsenal and pretty much after half a season there was nothing new, the games became a bit repetitive and playing against Barca would be similar to playing a bad team from Poland. PES is far from perfect and has a few quirks but its a nice change from FIFA. Both games are good and fun if you enjoyed the DEMO you should like the final product.

PS : Boiler up this weekend
Old 10-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Pro

timmuh1515's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Niche
I also had FIFA before and I had a blast playing it. I really enjoyed it and was amazed how much it improved from previous years (2006 and before). I had left PES until this year but I came back mostly because of Master LEague. Truth is , FIFA was very fun to play but PES has a certain something that each game feels different (dont ask me what).
In Fifa I did a career mode with arsenal and pretty much after half a season there was nothing new, the games became a bit repetitive and playing against Barca would be similar to playing a bad team from Poland. PES is far from perfect and has a few quirks but its a nice change from FIFA. Both games are good and fun if you enjoyed the DEMO you should like the final product.

PS : Boiler up this weekend
Thanks for the info. The master league is online play isn't it? I tend to stay with single-player modes since i won't have as much time to invest in the game to be competitive online. It is my understanding that PES has a much more in-depth single-player options...although it is harder then i expected to get information on these.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 1

timmuh, I've been waiting for PES 2012 to come out while playing FIFA 12. I'm glad I had to wait because the issues with PES are just now starting to be discussed. Biggest IMO is that the shooting engine auto-determines where a lot of your shots go this year. I play using manual controls, and that to me is simply unacceptable in a sports game.

People on the PESfan forum have have talking about that problem, and after all is said and done, I've decided to simply stick with FIFA this year. FIFA 12's not what I would call a great game, but it's got some seriously nice things going on with it. Most important to me, it has FULL manual controls that work great this year, including an terrific, precise shooting engine.

That's my two cents.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
Pro

timmuh1515's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
timmuh, I've been waiting for PES 2012 to come out while playing FIFA 12. I'm glad I had to wait because the issues with PES are just now starting to be discussed. Biggest IMO is that the shooting engine auto-determines where a lot of your shots go this year. I play using manual controls, and that to me is simply unacceptable in a sports game.

People on the PESfan forum have have talking about that problem, and after all is said and done, I've decided to simply stick with FIFA this year. FIFA 12's not what I would call a great game, but it's got some seriously nice things going on with it. Most important to me, it has FULL manual controls that work great this year, including an terrific, precise shooting engine.

That's my two cents.
good to know. I've only played each demo a few times. From what i watch fifa looks like a video game while pes looks more real life. Obviously in the end gameplay will win out over how things look and i hear some good things about fifa's new features.

My concern is that the fifa game feels pretty cut and dry. The demo games in PES were very unique where each fifa game the goals that were scored seemed very similar.

In the end, for me to enjoy the game, i don't want to get bored with repetitive gameplay and i'd like deep single-player options. It seems PES is deeper but the more i dig the more i read about some issues with gameplay being outdated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
The Legendary Roots Crew

Sublime12089's Arena

OVR: 10

That is the main draw of PES and why I grow bored of FIFA: Each game feels different and organic. Also, Master League can be online or offline. (Think Dynasty vs. Online Dynasty in NCAA). FIFA is better in some areas like presentation and I like their smoothness and graphics better, but I grew tired of repetitive gameplay and stuck to PES.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
Pro

timmuh1515's Arena

two "issues" i've read about are the goalies not catching the ball and shots always being on target. Have we heard if that is going to be fixed some in a patch? Any word or if/when a patch would be coming?

thanks again for the input...doing more and more research and i think i'm leaning towards PES for something new. I guess now i need to read into downloading roster/uniform updates...which is new to me also.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone

That's my two cents.
Your reasons make a lot of sense. Seriously, thinking about picking up FIFA. I just started playing PES offline and I have seen some crazy things that don't represent what my hands are doing on the controls. Example, on several occasions I have seen the ball bounce off the ground and go the opposite directions and go into the goal. And there are times where you cannot stop the CPU from scoring even with the properly positioned defender and hitting the appropriate button at the appropriate time. I never noticed any of these things before the DLC, so I am wondering if it is related.

I love PES, but I don't know I am getting frustrated right now.

Last edited by LingeringRegime; 10-14-2011 at 05:27 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »