Home

The Defensive Help Thread (2k12)

This is a discussion on The Defensive Help Thread (2k12) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 14
The Defensive Help Thread (2k12)

Like a lot of people here, initially I struggled with the defensive part of the game. So hopefully in this yhread we'll be able to discuss strategy and share tips on how to become better at defense.

I have a couple of tips that have really helped me so far, as I feel my defense has become much more effective.

First I would like to say I play on Superstar, simulation, 12 min qtrs, with default sliders.

- I beginning to see that much like the real NBA, in this game team defense is much more effective than 1 on 1 defense. Besides going for steals and blocks, defense in past 2k games was much more passive (atleast against the cpu).

- When playing perimeter defense against the cpu I find it extremely useful to know where my help is and cheat towards the opposite side that would lead the ball handler to my help if he does happen to get by me. This also makes cutting off the ball handler easier because you already know which way he is going to go if he decides to take the ball himself, just make sure you don't over-pursue and let the ball handler get on the opposite side away from the help.

- If the ball handler has the ball at the top of the key, cheat slightly so that your center will be in position to help if the ball handler decides to drive. Again its important to not let the ball handler drive without any resistance, just make it so if that you do get beat there is help to back you up.

- If the ballhandler has the ball on the wing area, or the area that extends past the elbow, cheat toward the paint area. The cpu wants to be able to drive the ball into the paint which totally breaks down your defense. I always cheat to where my defender has his back to the freethrow line, that way if the ball handler attacks he'll have to drive toward the post area.

- If the ballhandler is in the corner, make sure that you do not let them go baseline.

- Switch often and try to always play on ball defense. If the ball is passed around the perimeter switch to that defender and close out on the player so that there aren't any easy shots.

I have some more tips but I'll have to post them later.

If anyone else has any tips feel free to add them
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: The Defensive Help Thread (2k12)

I think it's cool that most of your points mirror real basketball strategy.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
Rookie

awil1026's Arena

OVR: 0

man my def is terrible in this game. I guess the controls are too responsive lol.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #4
Pro

yungsta404's Arena

yea this year you gotta use a new strategy for onball defense you cant just stop someone from driving by urself you have to use ur help defense

while i was playing the cpu on hall of fame i notice that they always shades me toward the side line and it was pretty effective. Real nba teams use this strategy its called "No middle"

I cant find a 2k vid of someone doing it but here is a vid of real nba of one of the best defensive teams (bulls) doing it

starts @ :33
Old 10-08-2011, 05:14 AM   #5
You Dead Wrong

Jano's Arena

OVR: 27

When defending the Pick n Roll allow your big man to hedge the ball handler. Don't be in a hurry to fight through the screen just trust that they will be able to hold them at bay until you can safely switch back.

Because trust me if you try to fight through while he's hedging there WILL be a scoring opportunity! That one piece of miscommunication can lead to a 3rd teammate coming over to help. Which will make the problem even worse because now you have to be concerned about 3 offensive players instead of two.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungsta404
yea this year you gotta use a new strategy for onball defense you cant just stop someone from driving by urself you have to use ur help defense

while i was playing the cpu on hall of fame i notice that they always shades me toward the side line and it was pretty effective. Real nba teams use this strategy its called "No middle"

I cant find a 2k vid of someone doing it but here is a vid of real nba of one of the best defensive teams (bulls) doing it

starts @ :33
Perfect! This is EXACTLY how you should approach defense this year. I'm very glad you put this video here. THANK YOU!
Old 10-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
Rookie

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm currently struggling with my defense, can't wait to try these out when I play.

By the way, I'd like to know what settings you use for your coach profile, specifically 'defensive pressure' and 'help defense'. I would think that it would be best to crank up the d. pressure to 100, or is there any drawback to that? And with help d., what number do you set it at? I was being frustrated by my cpu teammates leaving shooters wide open at just the slightest chance to help, or sometimes screwing up the help rotations, but at the same time I don't want to totally negate cpu teammate ai..

Between coach profile and defensive settings, I'm still trying to figure out the best settings that will allow me to play good team defense.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
MVP

RedmanR's Arena

OVR: 11

Nice. . . How about some post defense tips.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »