Home

This or NBA 2k12?

This is a discussion on This or NBA 2k12? within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
This or NBA 2k12?

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to post this, but I didn't see any other forums that made more sense so I'm posting the same question here and in the 2k forum to see what kind of responses I get.

I haven't played an NBA or NHL game in several years now, and I want to get one but can't decide which. When it comes to watching these sports I like them equally so that isn't really a deciding factor.

I'll play some online but for the most part I'll be player single player modes.

So which game do you think has the better Franchise mode?

Which game has the better create a player and bring them up through the ranks mode?

And which game is better overall?

Thanks for any input.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: This or NBA 2k12?

I don't think you'll get the answers you want. You post it in this forum everyone will say NHL, you post in 2K everyone will say NBA. 2 very different audiences so take that with a grain of salt. Anyways, I don't have both but with the NBA lockout, none of the rookies will be in the game. NHL also has a ton of different leagues to play in not just the NHL. It has the CHL, a ton of European leagues etc so you can use all those teams and leagues too if you get bored of NHL. I don't own NBA so I can't tell you about it.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'm in the same boat. I have NHL10 and NBA 2k11. I usually only buy 1 game per year and am wondering which would be a better investment. NHL rookies and the fact that I didn't get NHL11 has me leaning toward NHL12. But NBA2k12 looks amazing and many posts say that NHL12 isn't that much better than NHL11 (which people said wasn't much of an upgrade over NHL10...).

I'm very conflicted as well.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 14

Honestly, if you can get both, I'd say get both. They're both really good games in their own right. I don't think I can classify myself as a "hardcore" sports gamer, but I really like both games (so much that I'm likely going to give up on Madden this year for them instead).

I really like NHL 12, but I haven't played any of the other NHL games in a while, so for me it might be more worthwhile than if you've played the other games. But the gameplay of NHL 12 is very smooth. What I especially like is that I can play the games with 5:00 periods, and still wind up with a realistic score, which especially with my busy and odd schedule helps out.

On the other hand, NBA 2k12, whatever flaws it has, is likely the best sports video game in this generation. If you really like hockey more than basketball, I could recommend NHL 12 over it. But 2k has made me into an NBA fan, and especially if you're doing single player franchise, I find the presentation to really help keep me involved in the games, and 2k12's presentation is just insane. The gameplay has a bit of a learning curve to it, but it's not so complicated that you can't get into it.

In some respect it's still apples and oranges between NHL and NBA, but in terms of overall game and value, I think 2k has a slight edge. Just remember that until the lockout ends (if it does), 2k won't release their rookies, which can impact your franchise mode experience (likely won't for me...there are also people fixing up rosters). From what I've seen/heard, both franchise modes have some issues (what game doesn't), but they both offer a lot of depth. Until 2k patches some issues in their My Player (which I again haven't tried out yet, only what I'm seeing on the 2k board), NHL's career mode is probably better, but again both are pretty good and will last you a while.

Like I said, I would barely give the edge to NBA, and that's mostly because of the presentation which helps suck me into it, but I don't think you can go wrong with either game. They are different games, both very good, and I think you'll have a lot of fun in Franchise for either game.

My 2 cents.
Go STL Rams...please don't get Sam Bradford killed...
Old 10-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20

FYI if you go to best buy before Sat you can get good deals. I traded in NHL 11, NBA 2K11, Smackdown vs RAW 2011 and Tiger Woods 12 and got 75 bucks and got NHL payed off. Saturday ends their 25% extra trade in value.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

both are great, I really couldn't chose only because I buy both every year, but if the lockout last real long, I would go NHL only because it will keep you pumped to play NHL 12 more.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 10-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #7

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Get nhl,for the main reason being that there is a nhl season.

By time the nba lockout ends, it'll either be time for nba 2k13 or 2k12 will be much cheaper.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

I have both games. IMO, NBA 2K12 is probably one of the best sports games I've ever played. 2K improved pretty much all aspects of the game(bugs are still present but patches will hopefully fix that)...If you have the money, get both but if you're gonna choose one, pick NBA 2k12...

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »