Home

some offense and defense tips?

This is a discussion on some offense and defense tips? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
some offense and defense tips?

im new to 2k this year and picked up 2k12. im having a great time with it and I did the tutorials and all but I am still having some issues playing better defense and offense. can any one who plays basketball give me some in game tips? i cant seem to get to the basket that much and on D they just run around me lol. i admit i havent played actual basketball since freshman year of high school. any tips are greatly appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: some offense and defense tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers24Cally
im new to 2k this year and picked up 2k12. im having a great time with it and I did the tutorials and all but I am still having some issues playing better defense and offense. can any one who plays basketball give me some in game tips? i cant seem to get to the basket that much and on D they just run around me lol. i admit i havent played actual basketball since freshman year of high school. any tips are greatly appreciated.
Welcome to 2k! You picked a good year to get into it. One of my favorite things about this game is that it rewards you for taking time to practice and get better.

Anyway, some quick pointers that helped me out the last few years:
  • DON'T abuse the turbo button. It will lead to turnovers, contact animations, and unresponsive controls. Save it for when you have numbers on a break or a clear lane to the basket. In general it's wise to play slowly and under control. Make your moves and shots with purpose.
  • Understand that you need momentum for your slashing players to shine.
  • Keep your offensive game unpredictable. Have a gameplan and stick to it, but always be willing to adapt when they catch on to what you're doing. I like to start posting up with my big men until the D is forced to double... then you can dish out to shooters for open looks all day.
  • On defense, use the Left Trigger (360) to create body contact with your man and prevent penetration. If he creates too much space then hold down LT + RT to shuffle into position, releasing RT once you are in position
  • On defense, don't over-commit with steals and blocks. Unless you are using Dwight Howard or Rondo, gambling will leave you in the dust more often than not. Play good d and don't always reach for the flashy play.
  • MISMATCHES are crucial. The CPU will exploit mismatches, and you should too. Every time down the floor, see who is guarding who... if you have a clear mismatch then get that player the ball and space the floor.
  • Utilize the defensive strategy options. If you are getting murdered in the paint, then choose "LOCK DOWN PAINT". If they are raining from three then choose "PRESSURE SHOOTERS". As you progress in difficulty level you will have to go to the menu screen and adjust your specific defensive matchups (who to double, play tight, sag off etc)
  • Practice a few plays for each of your star players. This will typically get them the ball where they are most effective.
Hope this helps you out

Last edited by Giammajo; 10-07-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: some offense and defense tips?

quick plays are your friend

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »