Home

Lets talk defense.

This is a discussion on Lets talk defense. within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-06-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Lets talk defense.

While I love scoring goals and creating highlight-reel moves on the ice on offense, one of my favorite aspects of any sports game is defense. This is especially true in NHL games. I pride myself with blocking shots, forcing opposing players to the outside and controlling the puck on breakouts. However, there are times when I feel almost helpless against the CPU's offensive players.

One of those times is when I'm the last D-man back and an opposing player is coming in for a shot (where I'm skating backwards). Kind of a one-on-one situation I guess you could say. It seems that often times poke checks don't seem to be very effective straight ahead. Neither do stick lifts. If I attempt a hit often times I just glance off the opposing player and leave him with a clear path to the net.

What are your defensive strategies in these situations? Have you found anything in particular to be effective?

My other area or weakness at times is clearing players and the puck out of the slot. I get to the point where I'm willing to give up long, outside shots to by defensemen in order to clear the front of the net. However, there are times when I just can't seem to do anything to get players and the puck out from in front of my net.

I use a collapsing defense but should I also use a protect the net strategy?

Suggestions?

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Rookie

Ball_Bag's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Lets talk defense.

I'd also like some advice. I haven't played this game since NHL 94 on the PC and feel like a newb. On top of the pace of the game being too fast for me, I have the same defensive problems as Gagnon39.

Advice needed please.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

just stay in position, back in, stay between him and the net, force that player coming at you to make a great play so to speak to score.

when you are backing in, your player with automatically move his stick side to side.. if that player gets to close, that usually will knock puck free or have you even pick it up yourself.

worst thing you can do so to speak is go for hit and miss.. even if you poke check, your player kinda freezes up and cant move very well..
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14
X
https://x.com/Fiddy14_

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 10-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Since I'm still out of offline shape, my team defense has been bad. I recently played PIT/NJ on All-Star, losing 4-2 (with ENG at end). So what, right? Well, I have up 48 shots, including 21 in the first period. An extended 5-3 PK, 4min double minor, and several other penalties didn't help, but I'm just not up to snuff at the moment.

One thing I found is the strategy settings seem more sensitive this year. I was trying to mimic the Penguins aggressive defensive zone strategy with puck-side attack & collapsing and I was getting shredded. Points were always wide open, so lots of scrambling and lots of shots. When I backed off to normal & staggered, things improved somewhat. While the strategy options are still quite shallow, it's nice to see they might be a little more important this year.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Rookie

stormbringer666's Arena

OVR: 1

One of the things that worries me, is that while playing 'D', the other CPU players are able to "lock" the offensive players with his body, so they can't receive a pass, or shoot the puck if it's in their range. I'm not sure if it's me (which may be the case cause i haven't played an NHL game since NHL2006) but I don't know how to do it.

Even the teammates controlled by the CPU, whom earlier was said don't do anything to opposing players do this thing!

Does anybody know if it's possible to do it? (PS3 version here).

Also, has anyone noticed that if you stay in position and make the offensive player take the outside route to the offensive zone, they won't usually shoot unless you try to check, stick lift or poke check him? At least in my case!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6

That game is tough to play on defence, either online or offline. Online, if you're too agressive, you get the decking medecine and if too soft, you have a guy arming the wrister while standing still and getting the top corner.

Offline, it's almost more comical since you can't count on your defense partner AI to help you since he's on a mission to get his jock back in the net. No matter what you do, there's a chance you'll have to let the shot go and watch the CPU put the puck in on the rebound.

EA did everything so that dangling addict get their fix with that game. On the other side of the puck, they made absolutely nothing in NHL 12 to make the d-man have their way. Poke check is tough, blocking shots is an adventure since a guy can deke you out of position in a slip-second, while sticks lift have to be use wisely since you stop skating doing it.

Let's make a little comparison. Some will say that it's normal for a forward in NHL 12 to be able to deke since there's deke like that in real life. Ok, fine with that. If that's the case, then I should be able to follow a guy and make him eat is shorts while trying to deke me since there's D-man in the league that does that all the time.

Have you ever seen Chris Pronger or Nicklas Lidstrom deke out of their skate more than 1 or 2 times in a year? Not me. In fact, forwards are so intelligent right now that they will enter the zone from the other side, knowing that it's easier to get by the other side than face a guy like Pronger or Lidstrom.

I've been asking for a way with my controller to follow a guy who's making moves like crazy to counter that. I don't know if it's possible for EA, but since everyone can do crazy thing, a D-man in front of the human player should be able to do the same crazy things.

But, problem with that is the game built so a 5 minutes period games should end 7-6 and not 1-0. The 1-0 games would make kids and glitchers cry a river, say that the game sucks and they won't play it again.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

tip one: turn off autoskate backwards. with this on, it is difficult to force players to the outside and then once they are on the outside good luck taking the puck away since you are no longer facing the puck.

tip two: play high and force your opponent to the outside. With autoskate off you can turn your player toward your boards more easily. Which means more opportunities to use stick lift and poke. so when the rush is even, play a high blue line and stay inside of your opponent. the goal is to slow him down, not necessarily to take the puck away

tip three: defense is about timing. poke check too early and not only do you miss, but especially if they opposition is skating laterally, you will now find yourself out of position. poke check too late and you may get a tripping penalty, or when you miss the opponent will skate right by you. stick lift should be used only to harry your opponent defensively, not if you want to take the puck away. one thing that i have had mixed results on is holding the poke check button and sweeping the stick with the right stick. something that i want to keep working on, but you might find success using this.

tip four: be patient. stay in position, slow your opponent down, and force him/her to take a low percentage shot or to turn over the puck. you may end up spending an extended period in your zone, though with online cheesers you wont. but if you do, be patient and don't get frustrated. frustration leads to overly agressive defense which could lead to chasing which will lead to more grade a scoring chances against.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
Rookie

Ball_Bag's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0wntime
tip one: turn off autoskate backwards.
Where in the game menu is this setting? I can't find it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »