Home

Effective Runners: Can you run in the middle without WR motion inside?

This is a discussion on Effective Runners: Can you run in the middle without WR motion inside? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Effective Runners: Can you run in the middle without WR motion inside?

For the guys who run well on All-Madden, are you able to run up the middle consistently well without motioning a WR inside?

Before I made any running game adjustments, I was running 3.5 ypc with Frank Gore, mostly on inside handoffs.

After I made running game adjustments, I started motioning my WR to the middle of the line, audibling to a toss or counter when the defense started to pinch their linemen. I've also been holding the truck stick forward when I see a lane open up. This has resulted in me having 150+ yards rushing every game and about a 4.7 ypc average. I've broken off big games up the middle, as well as on the toss plays (after motioning the WR to the other side of the field, taking the CB with him). Just the other day, I bulldozed the Ravens and Redskins with this strategy.

I'm happy I've found success running the ball, but I only run the Iso play, HB Toss, and HB Counter from I-Form: Pro. And it just feels cheap for me to run the same 3 plays over again, and it feels cheap to use the WR as a lead blocker inside.

I don't like to play like this. If it's possible to run "legitimately" I'll discard this and learn to run in a more "fair" fashion.

Any thoughts (and tips if there's a "better" way to be running)?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Effective Runners: Can you run in the middle without WR motion inside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwubbie
For the guys who run well on All-Madden, are you able to run up the middle consistently well without motioning a WR inside?

Before I made any running game adjustments, I was running 3.5 ypc with Frank Gore, mostly on inside handoffs.

After I made running game adjustments, I started motioning my WR to the middle of the line, audibling to a toss or counter when the defense started to pinch their linemen. I've also been holding the truck stick forward when I see a lane open up. This has resulted in me having 150+ yards rushing every game and about a 4.7 ypc average. I've broken off big games up the middle, as well as on the toss plays (after motioning the WR to the other side of the field, taking the CB with him). Just the other day, I bulldozed the Ravens and Redskins with this strategy.

I'm happy I've found success running the ball, but I only run the Iso play, HB Toss, and HB Counter from I-Form: Pro. And it just feels cheap for me to run the same 3 plays over again, and it feels cheap to use the WR as a lead blocker inside.

I don't like to play like this. If it's possible to run "legitimately" I'll discard this and learn to run in a more "fair" fashion.

Any thoughts (and tips if there's a "better" way to be running)?
There is nothing wrong with running the same run plays because how many different run plays can one team run right? The only issue I have with your strategy is the WR in the middle of the line. That is just ridiculous. You need to run formations that have more TEs if you need more blockers. If the DL pinches NEVER run up the middle. Toss it outside or run off tackle. If the line pinches I usually audible to a quick pass play.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twimstaxs
There is nothing wrong with running the same run plays because how many different run plays can one team run right? The only issue I have with your strategy is the WR in the middle of the line. That is just ridiculous. You need to run formations that have more TEs if you need more blockers. If the DL pinches NEVER run up the middle. Toss it outside or run off tackle. If the line pinches I usually audible to a quick pass play.
It isn't so much that the DL pinches, but rather, the blockers don't occupy their man the way they should. Often times, a defender will shoot the gap and stop me for negative yardage.

The ONLY thing I haven't really tried is to pinch my offensive linemen inside. I was thinking that if the offensive line's blocking scheme is set to aggressive (which I do every run play), they're going to spread outward. I DO see daylight, but then all of a sudden a linemen or linebacker will shoot the gap or shed their blocker.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwubbie
It isn't so much that the DL pinches, but rather, the blockers don't occupy their man the way they should. Often times, a defender will shoot the gap and stop me for negative yardage.

The ONLY thing I haven't really tried is to pinch my offensive linemen inside. I was thinking that if the offensive line's blocking scheme is set to aggressive (which I do every run play), they're going to spread outward. I DO see daylight, but then all of a sudden a linemen or linebacker will shoot the gap or shed their blocker.

The D will adjust to your style of play if you run a lot so you will just have to expect that. I run at least 30 times a game and sometimes I will only get 80 yards rushing and sometimes I will get 150. Just depends on the defense and when you are running the ball. If you just want to run every down you will get shut down.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twimstaxs
There is nothing wrong with running the same run plays because how many different run plays can one team run right?
Joe Gibbs coached Washington Redskins teams only had 3 run plays. Joe Theisman usually entered the game with only a 6 play game plan. Different formations, same 6 plays.

Imagine having to defend the same 6 plays all game.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

I tell a lot of guys to start checking out the replay of every run play they do to see if there was a cutback they could have made into a different hole if the original hole they were suppose to run into was clogged up. This will help you get a better feel for how to cut it back when it looks like that. A lot of people make the mistake of just crashing into the hole the play was designed to go even if it looks clogged up. Work on your cutbacks and you will become good at running inside. Check every replay and you will see that it was a cutback you could have made but you made the wrong move after the snap. Also flip the play around if it looks like its going to get stuffed when you come to the line of scrimmage..
Old 09-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
I tell a lot of guys to start checking out the replay of every run play they do to see if there was a cutback they could have made into a different hole if the original hole they were suppose to run into was clogged up. This will help you get a better feel for how to cut it back when it looks like that. A lot of people make the mistake of just crashing into the hole the play was designed to go even if it looks clogged up. Work on your cutbacks and you will become good at running inside. Check every replay and you will see that it was a cutback you could have made but you made the wrong move after the snap. Also flip the play around if it looks like its going to get stuffed when you come to the line of scrimmage..
I became a much better runner overall by doing this. Even though I thought I was hitting the right hole I realized that I should have gone another direction. In some cases I wasn't even following the FB like I thought I was. It really only takes a few replays to hone in on what you could be doing better. Good advice.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
That's a good idea.

(BTW Jarodd, your sliders have given me some fantastic results for franchise mode! Thanks for all your hard work!

I've never been the most serious player, and have been stuck at the all-pro level for the longest time. But for some reason, your All-Madden sliders have made things realistic for me. Challenging, but not frustrating. I'm starting to win a bit too much though, and I take that as a sign that I'm getting better. I'm not there yet, but I'm getting close to using your Challenge sliders.)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »