Home

Explosive Jumping Ability

This is a discussion on Explosive Jumping Ability within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
MVP

Nathan_OS's Arena

OVR: 25
Explosive Jumping Ability

Do you guys know of any exercises that would help me be explosive on the court. I'm 16, 6'5, junior year of highschool. I could dunk of off two and 1, but not those . This would really help me, especially for next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Explosive Jumping Ability

Tuck/squat jumps. Start in a squatting position, spring up and bring your knees up to your chest before bringing your feet back down to land. End in squating position.

Bounds. Think standing long jump. But keep going.

If your school has one for men, I would also suggest to tryout for the volleyball team in the spring. This will force you to work on your jumping during the offseason.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

If you age two more years, I think most of your problems will be solved. You're young yet, and seem to have a lot of natural gifts for you.

Just keep at it, and be patient!
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cleanest Genius
Tuck/squat jumps. Start in a squatting position, spring up and bring your knees up to your chest before bringing your feet back down to land. End in squating position.

Bounds. Think standing long jump. But keep going.

If your school has one for men, I would also suggest to tryout for the volleyball team in the spring. This will force you to work on your jumping during the offseason.
Good exercises. For the squat jumps, give yourself a target to reach (the square on the backboard for instance) so you're forcing yourself to jump as high as you can each time.

Here's a website with some good exercises, too: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/brughelli1.htm

I have a good friend from college who had a 44" vertical and is playing ball overseas now. He said he would wear a weighted vest and jump from the bottom of the deep end of a pool to the surface. Investing in a weighted vest and doing simple jumping/running exercises will help your explosion a lot.

Here's a video of my friend for inspiration:

Watch me play video games
Old 09-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
MVP

Nathan_OS's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughn3
Good exercises. For the squat jumps, give yourself a target to reach (the square on the backboard for instance) so you're forcing yourself to jump as high as you can each time.

Here's a website with some good exercises, too: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/brughelli1.htm

I have a good friend from college who had a 44" vertical and is playing ball overseas now. He said he would wear a weighted vest and jump from the bottom of the deep end of a pool to the surface. Investing in a weighted vest and doing simple jumping/running exercises will help your explosion a lot.

Here's a video of my friend for inspiration:

Lol. Its kinda hard picturing mysellf doing those dunks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

What they said, also if you're looking at weightlifting try Power Cleans and Squats.

Both require good technique so you'd have to look up or have someone help you properly do them but they can be great workouts to help with explosiveness(especially the power cleans). This was something that was a part of our Leg Workouts in football.

I'm not sure if it translates to jumping, but if anything it helps with speed/quick bursts.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Also work your calf muscles. There some shoes or things you put over your shoes that force you to use the muscles more. I don't know if they work or are worth the money though, but they have been around for years. You still have to do the workout with them on to get any results.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
MVP

Maxattax3's Arena

OVR: 19

plyometrics. line up a bunch of boxes and go to town!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »