Home

Stop the Superconferences, start a playoff

This is a discussion on Stop the Superconferences, start a playoff within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 26
Stop the Superconferences, start a playoff

I don't think this fits in the other thread. But a good article about how this would all be avoided with a playoff and that the Big 12 and Big East only have themselves to blame.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...playoff_092211
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Stop the Superconferences, start a playoff

Damn good article by Wetzel.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 09-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

Wetzel is almost always on his game and he doesn't disappoint this time either. Once again, the research speaks loudly.

I have never been pro-playoff in college football (outside of a plus-one), but it does make sense to have a six or eight team playoff.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

I agree with him on many fronts, but the problem is not convincing me or the average fan that there is a problem. Heck, if you got rid of the bowls and put different playoffs in their place you would have a much better product. The problem is that you have to convince the heads of universities that there is a better way.

Nothing is going to change unless you change the minds at the top of the food chain. I know they don't want to get rid of the bowls (and don't tell me you can have both, nobody's going to watch the #3 PAC team against the #3 B1G team if #1 is taking on #whatever that day), but that's what it's going to come down to.

I've come to the conclusion that the only way a playoff will take place is if either a) there is congressional action taken against the NCAA, or b) the top conferences break from the NCAA. Either way, it looks a long way off in my eyes.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
Nothing is going to change unless you change the minds at the top of the food chain. I know they don't want to get rid of the bowls (and don't tell me you can have both, nobody's going to watch the #3 PAC team against the #3 B1G team if #1 is taking on #whatever that day), but that's what it's going to come down to.
Play the bowl games on weekdays (like most of them are anyway) and the playoff games on the weekend. They don't compete with each other, and just as many people will watch the meaningless bowl game because it's football.

I don't understand how the university presidents don't see the financial bright side of a playoff and continue to lose money sending their teams to lower tier bowl games.

This article is basically a very glossed over version of Death to the BCS, where he goes into great detail about all of this.

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
Pro

GoToledo's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
and don't tell me you can have both, nobody's going to watch the #3 PAC team against the #3 B1G team if #1 is taking on #whatever that day)
Why not? That theoretical game doesn't mean any more now without a playoff in place, and people would still watch it.

Sideshow Bob
Old 09-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

It would still be broken the only way you'd get a decent playoff is to condense the NCAA to 8 super conferences of 14-16 teams(6 of 16 and 2 of 14 as of 2012) and give each conference champion a playoff spot in a 8 team playoff thus guaranteeing everyone at least a shot at the title.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

How can you have the bowl games on the weekend when the NFL takes up Saturdays during the last part of the season into the playoffs? Unless you could get them to agree to putting all four of their playoff games on Sunday.

The best thing the bowls could do is to get in on the playoff fever. Maybe have a four team invitational or something like that. Otherwise, it's not going to draw in the numbers that a playoff would take away.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »