Home

L'imporant c'est pas la chute, c'est l'aterrisage!

This is a discussion on L'imporant c'est pas la chute, c'est l'aterrisage! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-22-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
L'imporant c'est pas la chute, c'est l'aterrisage!

This is the story of a game that falls from the top ranks. The devs as it falls down, just to feel safe, repete tirelessly to themselves:so far so good. So far so good. So far so good. But the important thing is not the fall, it's the landing.

First of all, let me point out that I don’t usually post here, but since I’ve been unemployed for the last couple of months, I have found myself with time to hit the sticks and watch some football. Also, I have lots of time to analyze Madden, and more importantly, think about how it could be improve.

I would focus my analysis on the gameplay aspects of the game, and ignore glaring issues and bugs that everyone knows about. So with that clear, let me point out that generally Madden is a solid and beautiful game, yet it still lacks the ability to make us jump out of our seat or even surprise us, while we are playing the game.

I’ve been reading these forums for a while and I would like to point out that in comparison with other sports games (NBA 2k, The Show and FIFA) Madden lacks excitement, period. It feels flat, once you’ve played 10 games, it’s going to be the same thing over and over just in a different context or situation. If you read these forums, especially NBA 2k and The Show, you would see how much the gamers enjoy PLAYING those games, seeing the “little things” and describing things that happen to them while and again on caps, PLAYING THE GAME.

Madden lacks the “ridiculous” circus catch, the head rocking hit, the barry sander’s type of jukes, you see where I’m going with this? Players do not difference themselves from each other, everyone moves the same, everyone has the same catching animations, everyone jukes the same way, everyone celebrate the same way, it just plain boring. Every play looks the same, and it’s not because of the playbooks it’s because there’s a lack of personality (animations) in the game. I see the same catching animations every game. And it’s frustrating when you play games like NBA 2k, FIFA and the things you can do while playing the game.

With Madden all you read in this forum (and NCAA’s) is frustrated gamers. And they are right, because all they (we) do is try to figure out ways (workarounds) to make the game realistic or bearable for some. Which is not their responsibility, how many hours do you guys put on trying to get the perfect set of sliders that makes the game less unrealistic? I’m pretty sure most gamers here spend at least more than 10% of their playing time adjusting the game itself, deterring the whole experience. (Which is so funny because the sliders themselves don’t actually work).

Madden team needs a change in the way they make this game, something drastic has to be done. They have smart people and great developers but they are lacking direction and a sense of what is essential for the game to be great. It is unacceptable that some of the bugs passed QA, and I don’t know what goes around inside the studio but someone needs to be accountable for all of this. I sense a culture of easiness and lack of accountability within the dev team. (I’m basing this in the fact that one dev acknowledged an issue with weather in franchise mode and just said they might fix it if they have time). Quality needs to be one of team’s values for the game to improve because it is not a quality product, it’s below the standards and doesn’t meet the customer expectations.

For the moment, everything is fine, but at the end, Madden will crash hard.

Last edited by gabs485; 09-22-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: L'imporant c'est pas la chute, c'est l'aterrisage!

wow man. you nailed it right on the head. good post. but as an avid sports gamer, it is sad that the nations most popular sport is represented so poorly in a lot of aspects of the game and we stomach it because only one gaming company owns the rights to the NFL...

i only criticize so harshly this year because this isn't new for EA. And every year there are the "People are going to hate no matter what" and "You can't please everyone..." statements. But maybe when EVERYONE is upset, maybe it is justified. Maybe this one is on EA. Maybe im out of my mind, but maybe im just like everyone else....
Old 09-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0
Here's a question I'd like to pose to the community:

If EA had exclusive rights to the NBA, would Elite have actually been released in the state it was in? I would say "absolutely yes". But a great competitor still exists in that field, so releasing an unfinished product wouldn't be in their best interest.

Sent using common sense.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabs485
This is the story of a game that falls from the top ranks. The devs as it falls down, just to feel safe, repete tirelessly to themselves:so far so good. So far so good. So far so good. But the important thing is not the fall, it's the landing.

First of all, let me point out that I don’t usually post here, but since I’ve been unemployed for the last couple of months, I have found myself with time to hit the sticks and watch some football. Also, I have lots of time to analyze Madden, and more importantly, think about how it could be improve.

I would focus my analysis on the gameplay aspects of the game, and ignore glaring issues and bugs that everyone knows about. So with that clear, let me point out that generally Madden is a solid and beautiful game, yet it still lacks the ability to make us jump out of our seat or even surprise us, while we are playing the game.

I’ve been reading these forums for a while and I would like to point out that in comparison with other sports games (NBA 2k, The Show and FIFA) Madden lacks excitement, period. It feels flat, once you’ve played 10 games, it’s going to be the same thing over and over just in a different context or situation. If you read these forums, especially NBA 2k and The Show, you would see how much the gamers enjoy PLAYING those games, seeing the “little things” and describing things that happen to them while and again on caps, PLAYING THE GAME.

Madden lacks the “ridiculous” circus catch, the head rocking hit, the barry sander’s type of jukes, you see where I’m going with this? Players do not difference themselves from each other, everyone moves the same, everyone has the same catching animations, everyone jukes the same way, everyone celebrate the same way, it just plain boring. Every play looks the same, and it’s not because of the playbooks it’s because there’s a lack of personality (animations) in the game. I see the same catching animations every game. And it’s frustrating when you play games like NBA 2k, FIFA and the things you can do while playing the game.

With Madden all you read in this forum (and NCAA’s) is frustrated gamers. And they are right, because all they (we) do is try to figure out ways (workarounds) to make the game realistic or bearable for some. Which is not their responsibility, how many hours do you guys put on trying to get the perfect set of sliders that makes the game less unrealistic? I’m pretty sure most gamers here spend at least more than 10% of their playing time adjusting the game itself, deterring the whole experience. (Which is so funny because the sliders themselves don’t actually work).

Madden team needs a change in the way they make this game, something drastic has to be done. They have smart people and great developers but they are lacking direction and a sense of what is essential for the game to be great. It is unacceptable that some of the bugs passed QA, and I don’t know what goes around inside the studio but someone needs to be accountable for all of this. I sense a culture of easiness and lack of accountability within the dev team. (I’m basing this in the fact that one dev acknowledged an issue with weather in franchise mode and just said they might fix it if they have time). Quality needs to be one of team’s values for the game to improve because it is not a quality product, it’s below the standards and doesn’t meet the customer expectations.

For the moment, everything is fine, but at the end, Madden will crash hard.
Totally repsect your opinion as this is the way it would go with any game in any genre. In the end we all feel differently about a title.

There is no wrong or right in it simply because how we feel is right for us.

Now I see in your thread you have some valid points, but some of them I simply wouldnt put any thought into it, but you do.

I can agree there should be different juke animations depending on the player, and different running animations also. All players do not juke or run the same. This is where games like NBA and MLB the show do very nicely. They truly capture the signature style of the individual players in the sport.

Where I disagree is with the catching animations. I don't seem to get that one, but maybe you can elaborate on that. I just dont think their are any signature catch animations.

I also disagree with the game feeling the same every single time. I do not get that experience.

I will agree that many do play with sldiers over and over again, but that to me does not imply that the game is broken. Sliders are there so gamers can have options. Sliders are with all titles, and some gamers tend to mess them with all the time regardless of the game, or how solid it is. Sliders are just the norm.

Speaking for myself. Im really enjoying both titles this years (Madden and NCAA). I can honeslty say I was never even the bit happy with any Madden from 06-10. 11 showed me some life, and 12 is much better.

I dont feel Madden 12 is a bad title at all.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
i would certainly not say that MADDEN12 is a bad game...by any means. the point of my comment, at least, is that EA has opportunities. The game has a potential. and for some reason, that potential is never met, and they always seem to leave us underwhelmed.

even looking at 2k, they have had no competitor for the last 2 years, they released one of the all time greatest sports games last season, and this year (based on all of the reviews and the demo) they went even farther and pushed the game to a new level.

EA produces a game that is satisfactory and nothing beyond that. if they really wanted, they would find a way to drastically improve the greatest selling sports franchise/money maker of all time. but they have no desire...or they are just flat out inept in doing so, in which case, they should turn the NFL license over to someone (2k) who is.

(which they wont)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 24

Can you translate the thread title please? Thank you.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
If I was jobless, this would not be an effective use of my time. Hell to sit and analyze a game in which you have no control over is an absolute waste of time.

I just don't get these threads anymore.

The internet gives a place for all the complainers to complain.
I'm just curious, how often do you play the game?

I have a job. I have a son. In my spare time though, being an avid football fan, I would like to play a game in which the subject I am passionate about is a fair representation of what i see on sundays. especially if it is coming with a $60 price tag.

read the threads, we aren't the only one who feel this way either.

and the only reason why i post any opinion is in the hope that EA will read it and at least take it into consideration.

EA produces a fun game undoubtedly, and i will be first in line to give them credit for that...i think i and many others out there just wish that they would take it to the next level, considering the quality of other sports games, such as NBA 2K and MLB: THE SHOW.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Totally repsect your opinion as this is the way it would go with any game in any genre. In the end we all feel differently about a title.

There is no wrong or right in it simply because how we feel is right for us.

Now I see in your thread you have some valid points, but some of them I simply wouldn't put any thought into it, but you do.

I can agree there should be different juke animations depending on the player, and different running animations also. All players do not juke or run the same. This is where games like NBA and MLB the show do very nicely. They truly capture the signature style of the individual players in the sport.

Where I disagree is with the catching animations. I don't seem to get that one, but maybe you can elaborate on that. I just dont think their are any signature catch animations.

I also disagree with the game feeling the same every single time. I do not get that experience.

I will agree that many do play with sldiers over and over again, but that to me does not imply that the game is broken. Sliders are there so gamers can have options. Sliders are with all titles, and some gamers tend to mess them with all the time regardless of the game, or how solid it is. Sliders are just the norm.

Speaking for myself. Im really enjoying both titles this years (Madden and NCAA). I can honeslty say I was never even the bit happy with any Madden from 06-10. 11 showed me some life, and 12 is much better.

My apologies for not being clear enough. I'm not asking for signature catching animations, what I'm trying to explain is that right now in Madden 12 basically every receiver can trigger the same catching animations. What makes it different is the success rate of the catch. Which is based on the receiver ratings.

For example, right now in Madden 12, Larry Fitzgerald and Robert Meachen have the same animations for catching the ball. The same one handed catch, the same tip toe sideline animations, the same over the shoulder catch, in conclusion their movement is the same. What makes it different is their rating and physical attributes. Which is unrealistic because Fitzgerald IRL adjusts to the ball and makes circus catches like no other receiver in the game, but in Madden he makes the same catches that everybody else does, except he does it with more frequency.

Imagine if Tim Duncan had access to Lebron James dunking animations, how bad would it look to you?

And just to be clear, Madden is a great game and an amazing one. Sure, If you compare it with Madden 06-10. But if you measure it up against NBA 2k, The Show or Fifa, Madden is way below today's standards. It´s just plain and simple garbage. And what's sad is that, us gamers have lowered our level of expectation with the game, thus making it really difficult for a change to happen.

Madden would be as dead as NBA Live if it wasn't for the exclusive license agreement. And I'm not a ***** by any means, I'm just a football lover that would like to enjoy his video game.

And sorry for my grammar, English is not my native language but I promise next time I will improve.

Last edited by gabs485; 09-22-2011 at 01:33 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »