Home

Why can't 2K fix the crowd sound?

This is a discussion on Why can't 2K fix the crowd sound? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Why can't 2K fix the crowd sound?

At this point in the game, this is beyond puzzling to me. Even in 2K11, I would hit a huge 3 and the crowd would be absolutely silent, and you just hear the PA say, "JR Smith". When a game like Live 10 can pull it off, I just question what the developers at 2K are doing.

Is it that difficult to code in a roaring sound noise when a player hits a clutch 3 vs a layup early on in the game? It doesn't seem as if it's fixed either considering in the video we received with Boston vs LA. Ray Allen made an "and 1" and the crowd is silent. Maybe I'm off base, but an audio fix seems like it could be so easy to do. Any thoughts on this? Anyone know if it will be improved in the slightest? Thanks for your input.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Why can't 2K fix the crowd sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120
I just question what the developers at 2K are doing.
They're busy putting in old retired players and fixing peoples tatoos, shoes, and headbands.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
At this point in the game, this is beyond puzzling to me. Even in 2K11, I would hit a huge 3 and the crowd would be absolutely silent, and you just hear the PA say, "JR Smith". When a game like Live 10 can pull it off, I just question what the developers at 2K are doing.

Is it that difficult to code in a roaring sound noise when a player hits a clutch 3 vs a layup early on in the game? It doesn't seem as if it's fixed either considering in the video we received with Boston vs LA. Ray Allen made an "and 1" and the crowd is silent. Maybe I'm off base, but an audio fix seems like it could be so easy to do. Any thoughts on this? Anyone know if it will be improved in the slightest? Thanks for your input.
I think you may have said it. If it were an easy fix, we can't honestly believe 2K would just ignore it, right? I mean, we can play the "I dunno man, they might just want to spend all their time putting in old players" card but the truth is we know better than that. I think it's clear there is something about the way their audio system is put together that makes things difficult to correct. It's obvious enough that there's no way it cannot be noticed or ignored. I am hopeful to see it fixed up.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I think you may have said it. If it were an easy fix, we can't honestly believe 2K would just ignore it, right? I mean, we can play the "I dunno man, they might just want to spend all their time putting in old players" card but the truth is we know better than that. I think it's clear there is something about the way their audio system is put together that makes things difficult to correct. It's obvious enough that there's no way it cannot be noticed or ignored. I am hopeful to see it fixed up.
I play tons and tons of games and the crowd responses are usually reasonable or spot-on.. yes sometimes they miss a reaction, although, to be fair, how the crowd should react is many times subjective.. crowds don't often flip out in the first quarter of a means-nothing game for any reason, except maybe some insane dunk, yet people are thinking the crowd should have exploded for a Ray Allen and-1..

Y'all act like the crowd doesn't respond at all to anything.. yes sometimes the reaction will be minimal, but don't pretend it's just all around broken..
Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Pro

TalenT's Arena

OVR: 10

Are we basing this off the demo? I think I'll wait till the retail version comes out before I speak on this. No need in making it a problem before it's actually a problem. JMT (Just my thoughts).

XBOXONE GT: TalenT3Point0
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617
I play tons and tons of games and the crowd responses are usually reasonable or spot-on.. yes sometimes they miss a reaction, although, to be fair, how the crowd should react is many times subjective.. crowds don't often flip out in the first quarter of a means-nothing game for any reason, except maybe some insane dunk, yet people are thinking the crowd should have exploded for a Ray Allen and-1..

Y'all act like the crowd doesn't respond at all to anything.. yes sometimes the reaction will be minimal, but don't pretend it's just all around broken..
You obviously didn't take the time to read my post. I acknowledged the fact that the crowd shouldn't be exploding in the first quarter for a layup or a nice shot coming off a screen. My point is that 2K doesn't differentiate the impact of made shots very well. A shot late in the 4th quarter to tie the game up should sound drastically different than a shot to tie the game up in in the opening possession after tipoff. If you ever want to see how crowds should look and respond, Live 10 is a great example.

They booed Vince Carter when he was at Toronto everytime he touched the ball; fans went nuts during games in the playoffs waving their towels and such. It felt like you were there and you could almost play off the crowd. I guess I'm just not sure why the crowd is such an afterthought to 2K (again, I could be mistaken, maybe it's far more difficult than I think).

I agree with the sarcasm on a previous post about the retired players, tattoos, and headbands. Yes, it's nice and all, but this game would feel even more authentic to ME if they adjusted the crowd to a more dynamic experience. Players in all sports feed off the crowd, and don't tell me any of you don't get pumped up when the crowd on your TV goes nuts after you do something special. Maybe I'm in the minority, and I'm ok with that. But if 2K can take anything from Live, it's their crowd. Give em a call.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
MVP

CX1329's Arena

OVR: 16

The audio department isn't even the same as the ones responsible for graphics, gameplay and new features. Other areas of the game have nothing to do with the audio, so don't blame the new features and such.

As for the topic itself, they did have to add a new announcer and work on the commentary, so maybe they didn't have enough time to work on the crowds. I'm sure it's not as simple as people sometimes make it out to be, because they have to record and edit sounds and make sure the crowd interacts well with all the coding. Audio editing in itself isn't that simple a task, especially if you don't want your crowd sounding like you're just playing some footage of an NBA game through your speakers, and making it all work within the code must be tough work.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
You obviously didn't take the time to read my post. I acknowledged the fact that the crowd shouldn't be exploding in the first quarter for a layup or a nice shot coming off a screen. My point is that 2K doesn't differentiate the impact of made shots very well. A shot late in the 4th quarter to tie the game up should sound drastically different than a shot to tie the game up in in the opening possession after tipoff. If you ever want to see how crowds should look and respond, Live 10 is a great example.

They booed Vince Carter when he was at Toronto everytime he touched the ball; fans went nuts during games in the playoffs waving their towels and such. It felt like you were there and you could almost play off the crowd. I guess I'm just not sure why the crowd is such an afterthought to 2K (again, I could be mistaken, maybe it's far more difficult than I think).

I agree with the sarcasm on a previous post about the retired players, tattoos, and headbands. Yes, it's nice and all, but this game would feel even more authentic to ME if they adjusted the crowd to a more dynamic experience. Players in all sports feed off the crowd, and don't tell me any of you don't get pumped up when the crowd on your TV goes nuts after you do something special. Maybe I'm in the minority, and I'm ok with that. But if 2K can take anything from Live, it's their crowd. Give em a call.
Shhh, you know you're not supposed to speak positively of Live! No seriously, I enjoyed Live 10 over 2K10 for the presentation. Every time Dwight scored, it was an authentic stadium sound and was added to 2K11. Same with the organ in Boston when a Celtic scored. 2K has borrowed from Live more than some people know or would like to admit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »