Home

The sloppy game in the Demo vs. the retail

This is a discussion on The sloppy game in the Demo vs. the retail within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

OVR: 6
The sloppy game in the Demo vs. the retail

After spending a decent amount of time with the retail version this weekend, I feel that there's something missing from the demo we all played the last few weeks.

It's hard to put your finger on it, but the best example I can give is the passing.

In the demo, I felt from the start that the passing was a bit more effective from last year. A fully loaded (bullet) pass sometimes made the puck lift from the ice... And at the same time the pass receptions at times seemed a bit sloppy, it felt very realistic. I noticed that at certain points a player would lose control when they recieved the pass, while at other times a pass with the same power was perfectly recepted.

However, I'm now on the retail version and I have not yet got the same feeling.
I've tried bullet passes to players that are only a few feet away, and they make a perfect reception. Or they miss the puck completely. Never any bad receptions... i'ts either perfect or a complete miss.

I have tried a few games with a few differents slider changes.
My "base" is; Pro - Hardcore.
Manual passing: On.
Pass assist 0 and 1
Pass reception slider: 0, 1 and 2.
Pass power: 1, 2, and 3 and now even 4. (I have never had this any higher than 2 in earlier games).
Player attributes: from 3 to maxed.

The result is the same no matter what settings...
Basically I just can't get the players to fumble with the puck, at all.

Anyone seeing this?

Thank you EA - This game is officially better than sex
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Rookie

Snoman13's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: The sloppy game in the Demo vs. the retail

I've felt this too, seems like they nerfed bullet passes and the saucer passes are a little too slow in their animation to end up effective all the time, it's like you can't muscle them as much which is so weird.

I haven't tried messing with the sliders at all though.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Pro

yes. even with pass reception at 0 i rarely see players struggle to gain control of the puck. even last year this had an effect
Old 09-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauchy
yes. even with pass reception at 0 i rarely see players struggle to gain control of the puck. even last year this had an effect
Absolutely... and add to that a passing power of 3 or 4, in my book every other pass should be a fumble... but it seems that the slider is not working.

And the thing is, while trying out the different sliders, I notice that I get to much of a advantage against the CPU with passing power on the higher side. Because it's really easy to get a bullet pass thru the defence for a cross crease one timer = The defence can't stop the pass, but the offense can shoot/recieve.
So basically it's not possible to have the passing at higher than 2, unless I must raise the pass interception slider... but then again, the CPU will start grabbing pucks with their butts.

I'm gonna try the demo out tonight, and see if there's any sliders that differs from the retails... but in opinion, it seems like the "Pass reception" is kaputt!

Old 09-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Rookie

Snoman13's Arena

OVR: 1

Not specifically about the demo vs. the real game, but more just something about the engine this year.

Anyone else feel like they really nerfed the effectiveness of the sticklift? To me, what it looks like is happening is that when you initiate a sticklift, the player model's priority will complete the entire animation of the stick lift before looking for a loose puck, allowing the puck carrier to regain control of the puck. In previous years, the defensive player would get the puck when it was loosened by a stick lift before the carrier could recover, but then the original carrier could make an attempt to lift the other players stick and a weird battle came out of it.

Now if you know what I'm talking about where in NHL 11 two players would end up stick lifting each other 2, 3, 4 times before someone won the battle and came away with the puck. It did not LOOK realistic, but it PLAYED realistically where two players are trying to time out the other's moves extremely quickly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
MVP

Al_Tito13's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezFranco
After spending a decent amount of time with the retail version this weekend, I feel that there's something missing from the demo we all played the last few weeks.

It's hard to put your finger on it, but the best example I can give is the passing.

In the demo, I felt from the start that the passing was a bit more effective from last year. A fully loaded (bullet) pass sometimes made the puck lift from the ice... And at the same time the pass receptions at times seemed a bit sloppy, it felt very realistic. I noticed that at certain points a player would lose control when they recieved the pass, while at other times a pass with the same power was perfectly recepted.

However, I'm now on the retail version and I have not yet got the same feeling.
I've tried bullet passes to players that are only a few feet away, and they make a perfect reception. Or they miss the puck completely. Never any bad receptions... i'ts either perfect or a complete miss.

Anyone seeing this?
You're probably right JezFranco, but I don't think the problem is the retail version, it looks more to be the tuner update. Did you dowload the new tuner too? Personally, I played the pre-release version a lot this week-end (without getting the tuner) and everything felt great, just like the demo. Then, I downloaded the tuner in the retail version and that was a wrong idea, a lot of things seem different. Pucks seem more glued to sticks, especially when passing, skating speed looks a bit increased. And I can't reset the tuner to the one that was there before, because the tuner update seems to have overwritten on tuner 1.00. I'm really disappointed, because I found the game almost perfect out of the box.

Update: I found a way to go back to original tuner by deleting my profile and recreating it. I won't download tuner update again.

Last edited by Al_Tito13; 09-15-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Tito13
Update: I found a way to go back to original tuner by deleting my profile and recreating it. I won't download tuner update again.
Ok, cool...
I was thinking about that too, should be a way to remove any downloaded tuners/patches to restet it.
Gonna try that, did you fell any difference afer reseting?

Does it still show tuner 1.00?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
MVP

Al_Tito13's Arena

OVR: 13

Yes, it still show tuner 1.00 in the menu. However, after I deleted (from XBOX interface) and recreated my profile in the game, the "press Y to get the new tuner update" message was then showing once again at the top of my screen, meaning the tuner was successfully deleted. I obviously didn't press the Y button this time. I only had time to play one game after that, but I found the game to play more like the demo, fortunately. It's maybe just me, but I don't want to take the chance. Being an offline guy, I won't download any tuner, I love the game as it is out of the box.

Last edited by Al_Tito13; 09-15-2011 at 10:47 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »