Home

Default rookie contract length

This is a discussion on Default rookie contract length within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Default rookie contract length

What are the default contract lengths for draft picks by round? I'm assuming earlier picks get longer contracts by default and later picks just get 1-year deals, but if someone could give me a breakdown I'd really appreciate it.

And I know I could just skip ahead to next year's draft in my franchise to find the answer, but I'd rather just get the answer from you guys.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
Rookie

strife1013's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Default rookie contract length

Well that's a little hard to answer because of the new CBA. This years Madden doesn't have the new CBA in it. So last year first rounders would be 5 or 6 years. I say top 5 gets 6 years and the rest get 5. Second and third get 4 year deals. Than 4 through 7 should get 3 or less.

The new CBA has everyone on 4 year deals with a team option for a 5 year. The lower draft picks normally get 1-3 years I think.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:40 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

1-2- they usually ask for a 5 year contract.
The other rounds just depend on how good the player you selected is. If he is great they will ask for 4 year in rounds 3-5.
6-7 rounders depend on how good. If they are good maybe a 2-3 year deal. If they are bad then 1 year.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Rookie

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant default contract length in franchise mode.

Sounds like there isn't really a default, though. For some reason I had thought that in previous versions of Madden, the CPU was signing all 1st and 2nd rounders to 5 year deals, 3-5 rounders to 3 year deals, and 6 and 7 rounders to 1 year deals, or something like that.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Rookie

strife1013's Arena

OVR: 0

For a first rounder I would do a 5 year, second rounders 4 years, third rounder 3 years, 4th and below 1-2 years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Rookie

Legionnaire's Arena

OVR: 5

I tend to think you should just sign the 1st rounder to a 5/6 year deal, and then sign everyone else to 3/4 years. In reality, teams work those later picks with shorter deals so they're more year-to-year. But teams control a player's rights for the first handful of years of his career anyway, so rather than have to keep signing him every year, it's simpler to give myself the option of cutting him or not instead of re-signing him or not.

Then once the rookie contract is up after 3-5 years, much like real life, that's where the player starts being able to ask for real money.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
Rookie

Thanks for the responses, but I'm asking what contracts the CPU signs their draft picks to.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »