Home

NHL 12 General Impressions Thread (360/PS3, NO QUESTIONS)

This is a discussion on NHL 12 General Impressions Thread (360/PS3, NO QUESTIONS) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36
NHL 12 General Impressions Thread (360/PS3, NO QUESTIONS)

Well, since the game is starting to trickle out, I figure we'd get this started up.

Keep this thread for IMPRESSIONS ONLY.

All other posts will be subject to deletion and users are subject to ban if necessary.

Thank you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
NHL12 Retail Impressions (Graphics/Presentation)

Please use this thread to post your thoughts on the graphics and presentation aspects of the full version of NHL12. We want impressions only in here, not endless questions or off-topic discussion. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
jb1
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: NHL 12 Gameplay Impressions Thread (360/PS3, NO QUESTIONS/DISCUSSION)

I played six 30 minute games last night on All Star - Hardcore and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Yes, it still looks like NHL 11 but there are in most cases subtle gameplay changes that have made a big difference to my on ice experience.

Firstly I really like the fact that the CPU will now shoot the puck a lot more often, this was one of the main reasons that I gave up early on NHL 11. In the six games I played the CPU managed between 28-41 shots on goal. The only criticism I have here is that at times it felt like they were shooting almost too much, there were times especially on my PK's where they would ignore better placed shooters and instead shoot a low percentage shot. It's not a massive issue and I would much rather have this than the shot shy shooters in NHL 11.

I was pleased with both the games and goals variety, in the six games I played four were tight 1 goal affairs and the other two were blowouts, one in my favour and one against. The goal variety feels much better, too many times in 11 I would turn down good shooting opportunities but in 12 I saw many different types of goals in just six games. I did see some softies aswell but not too many that looked out of place, in one game Fluery gave up 3 softies in a row that led to me taking him out and in other games I had goalies that were like brick walls so I liked the variety there.

I was generally pleased with the positions that the AI were taking up however there were times particularly when entering and setting up in the zone that they still get in your way. They are smarter overall though and the anticipation AI certainly helps, it's nice to intercept a pass and have a winger already in good position to receive the pass and likewise it makes the CPU more of a threat when you turnover the puck.

Going coast to coast is still an issue but I would say on All Star Hardcore it's not easy to do it all the time, it's just that there are times when you can literally walk up the ice un-challenged. There is also a big discrepancy in how easy it is for me and the CPU to enter the zone, I may have to dump in occasionally but I feel like I can force the CPU to dump too easily resulting more often than not in an easy turnover.

Overall whilst there is still room for improvement I think we have a real solid on ice product this year.

Last edited by jb1; 09-09-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
jb1
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: NHL12 Retail Impressions (Graphics/Presentation)

I think the graphics overall look good, it still looks very much like past versions but it's not as though those versions had horrible graphics. One area I would like to see improved is the player faces, too many generic ones for my liking.

In terms of presentation there are a couple of nice new cut scenes where you can see some current streaks, a nice replay feaure showing a collection of moments from the game but nothing revolutionary here. There are also a few new lines of commentary added which is nice but still talking about Pittsburgh's Stanley cup win like it just happened is one example of where NHL 12's presentation lets itself down. We all know a huge overhaul is needed here and hopefully we get it for 13.

I'm going to rant a little here but why only add two custom team intros. Ok, it's better than none but either do it properly with them all or don't bother would be my advice. I'm also frustrated to see the post match 3 stars taken out, might seem silly but I really enjoyed those few moments after a tough game where I could relax and enjoy seeing who the stars were. I have no doubt we'll see this back in future versions with the typical EA hoopla attached.

I am also disappointed with the goal celebrations, I feel they really take away from what should be a great moment during a game. All I would ask for here is seeing the players celebrating together rather than a crowd shot which in itself doesn't look very good.

One huge plus I have though is the new Action Tracker, on first viewing it looks fantastic. The ability to go through nearly everything that happens during the game and see the replay is great. It's very accessible and I love watching the best moments back during intermissions and post game, it's also easy to stop mid period and have a quick look at a great hit, shot, save etc. A real big well done to whoever did that, good job.

As i've said elsewhere on the ice I think we have a solid product but off the ice is where NHL 12 lets itself down this year.

Last edited by jb1; 09-09-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

OVR: 6

Must say I'm a bit dissapointed in some animations, especially in new features like goalie contact.
A few times I've touched the goalie and in a 3-frame-animation he goes from standing up, to face plant, and then turns 180 to end up with his back on the ice... And the "back on the ice" part is actually the same animation as when the goalie is on his back to cover the puck.
Looks really wierd.

Another complaint isn't perhaps really graphics related, but its another thing that look wierd. The hip check.
It seemed over powered last year, but this year it's like your player becomes a solid rock once you press R3.

I was trying to do a hip check yesterday, but was a bit early. So the opponent player tried to skate around me, but as he did he nudged my helmet, as I was bending over
It should've sent me flying with a serious concusion, but instead the CPU did a triple somersault over my head and my guy didn't move an inch. Not very real time physics there. (Unless Nicklas Bäckström has a weight of 600 lbs - I never checked).

Otherwise, much of the old same old... Not really excited about the graphics in general, but wasn't expecting much improvement either. But I like how players move and skates... looks more natural.
Presentation wise, what can you say. It all looks the same. Doesn't mean it looks bad, but just the same as it did last year... and the year before that... and... Lazy EA.

Thank you EA - This game is officially better than sex
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 8

The goal celebrations are horrible, or should I say lack of celebration. It is always the same, first goal is a shot of the crowd ( looks awful and sucks all the energy away fom the goal), second goal is a sad goalie and so on.

Please patch back the team celebrating together, the crowd shot looks like a missplaced cutscreen or something. Also, MIX IT UP!

Love that the presentatin slowed down with longer intro and stats overlays staying on longer BUT why only show your own goalie stats and not both teams? Maybe another player sometime? MIX IT UP!
Old 09-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 8
Can it be patched?

The goal celebrations this year might be the worst in the series ever since NHL 92. It is so ugly and anti-climatic that it sucks the fun out of scoring a goal when you think you've been hit by a nasty bug when the camera show a ugly shot of the crowd.

Anyway, could someone from EA tell me if you could patch back the old cut scenes that show the team celebrating together? Or have those been completley removed?

Also, is it supposed to be the same cut-scenes in the same order every game afte scoring a goal or is that a bug?

Except for the presentation, great game!

Last edited by Carolus Rex; 09-09-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
pissed, or parkinson's?

adayinthelife's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Can it be patched?

I take it the goal celebrations haven't changed from the demo then? Weird, I thought that celebrations, or at least new presentation of them were one of their "300 improvements". Hopefully it's just a bug somehow.

As for the same cut scenes all the time... they've been there since NHL 07, so I don't think that's going to change in a patch unfortunately.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »