Home

Help generating hum pass rush(avoid pancakes)

This is a discussion on Help generating hum pass rush(avoid pancakes) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Help generating hum pass rush(avoid pancakes)

Guys

I need help, when I user control pass rush I gett pancaked.

Seems as if it's a timing thing or stick issue,also
anyone know how to execute the step in/step out pass rush

any help would be nice please give step by step explanations

thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Help generating hum pass rush(avoid pancakes)

I seem to only have this problem if I have a really bad defensive end. When I have an average(like high 70-s up) to good one I own the O Line. With a 90 overall DE (from marshall) playing in the big east I put up 33.5 sacks just by using the right analog stick to get past the O-line. It seems a little cheesy, but just what I experienced.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikepudge
I seem to only have this problem if I have a really bad defensive end. When I have an average(like high 70-s up) to good one I own the O Line. With a 90 overall DE (from marshall) playing in the big east I put up 33.5 sacks just by using the right analog stick to get past the O-line. It seems a little cheesy, but just what I experienced.
R u using the same timing as last year?

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

From a post either on here or TGT.

####################################################

THE RIGHT STICK EXPLAINED
Normally I play DE. Before the game I like to see what my LE and RE have for ratings in PMV and FMV. I will then see what the OT's have for RBS/PBS (this is how well he can stop the PMV) and RBF/PBF (this is how well he can stop the FMV).

I will then set me DE's where they have the largest advantage in either attribute vs the OT. Then in game you need to use the move you have the highest numerical advantage in. If the OLman has better RBS (for running plays) or PBS(for passing plays) (compared to your PMV) and RBF/PBF (compared to your FMV) than your opposing attributes prepare to be face planting all day long.

POWER MOVE
To preform a power move on defense you need to first engage the OLman and then hold DOWN on the rs.

FINESSE MOVE
To preform a finesse move on defense you need to first engage the OLman and then hold LEFT on the rs to break off to the left or hold RIGHT to the rs to break off the right.

TIMING
If its a pass you want to break away from the OLman as quickly as possible, but if its a run I will stay engaged until I see where the play is developing to then make my move, either LEFT, RIGHT, or DOWN (bull him over).

HANDS UP
The last function of the rs is up. While engaged if you press up your player will try to get his hands up to block the pass.

Ok, hope this will help you guys have more success with your DL. I played DE in school and have always used it in game and NCAA 12 is actually easier than any other version I have played.

Tip:
If your having problems learning the moves go to into practice, set difficulty to Freshman, set the offense to Hail Mary, Defense to any four man line and just start practicing your moves. Trust me it will become second nature very quickly. Once it gets too easy start bumping up the difficulty. I play on Heisman and the DL is still very effective even at that level.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 08-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

OVR: 20

Yeah Ive got 90 rated defensive end and put up 22 sacks this season playing in the SEC. I just use the RS and either left or right as soon as I engage the O-linemen. Also if you get pancaked don't give up on the play wait for your guy to get up and continue pursuing the QB.

Sometimes depending on the play I can run around the the left or right end of the O-line and then right at the QB without using any power moves. One thing I've noticed you don't have to hit the dive button anymore as soon as you get close to the QB to sack him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

few things:
1-Jello1717 thanks for the post & tip will hit practice and try it out.

2-airborneranger1
" I just use the RS and either left or right as soon as I engage the O-linemen.
Sometimes depending on the play I can run around the the left or right end of the O-line and then right at the QB without using any power moves. One thing I've noticed you don't have to hit the dive button anymore as soon as you get close to the QB to sack him"...how do you do this?

In my practice time this afternoon I tinkered with the inside/outside step,
at the snap I would take a step towards the inside and then step outside & try to get around the OT with a R3 move, I also toyed with lining my DE
two clicks outside(or 1 if I spread the DL) the tackle and running straight down at aiming for the shulder of the OT, once I was close to engaging I would hit down on R3 honestly I got mixed results which has led to my frustration.

Im going to take these ideas into practice and try them out...if anyone knows more about the step in/out thing please explain in detail.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

I'm having a hard time with the timing...

Am I supposed to wait until engaged by the OL (as my RDT) to try to make the move?

Are special moves ONLY with the R3 (PS3) or do the bumpers (L1/L2/ R1/R2) still work too?

It seems really random as to how, when and why it works this year...

Thoughts?
Old 09-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
I'm having a hard time with the timing...

Am I supposed to wait until engaged by the OL (as my RDT) to try to make the move? Yes, waiting until your player is engaging the OL or HB/FB is key. Because of the change in the contact system, the normal "suction" that used to occur which immediately engaged players for you when in range, no longer occurs. They literally must be touching (or a lot closer to it) for the special moves to become applicable.

Are special moves ONLY with the R3 (PS3) or do the bumpers (L1/L2/ R1/R2) still work too? Yes, I'm pretty sure most of the special movies are only with the right stick now.

It seems really random as to how, when and why it works this year... Like another user said its a mathmatical equation based on your players PMV, FMV, BSH vs the OLine PBK, RBK, PBS, PBF, RBS, and RBF with a "chance modifier" thrown in. Obviously the chance modifier is smaller or at least weighted more in your favor as a pass rusher when your players stats completely dominate the OLine stats. However, the "chance modifier" is why you dont have 100% success against weaker players, because they'll always have that small amount of chance in the equation.

Thoughts?
Here's a couple things I've found.

1) As others have said already, BE PATIENT and wait for your player to engage the opponent. This is much tougher than previous years because of that change in game mechanics this year. I've found myself doing "belly flops" far more because I'm so used to just immediately going to those special moves because of the "suction" action that occurred in every year prior. Patience alone is probably the biggest reason most of us fail when engaged with OLine. When the play starts, go forward the direction you want, if you get through clean obviously avoid the special moves, however if you can see that an OLine will make contact, wait just a split second more than you would normally and THEN make use of the right stick special moves.

2) On obvious passing plays, slide your line against the weak side of the offensive formation, so you have more chance of 1 on 1 matchups or even going unblocked. On blitz plays, control the DE nearest the blitzing player, and either choose to engage the OT and suck him up yourself so your blitzer gets a free rush OR pull up your DE at the snap, wait for your blitzer to engage the OT, and THEN rush outside around him for hopefully an unblocked path to the QB.

Again the largest key is having the patience to wait until the "engaged" action occurs, and that is definitely a different dynamic this year because of the game mechanics change. It takes a bit of practice to get used to (especially if you've played many previous years of NCAA)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »