Home

What slider(s) make cpu swing at balls and take strikes?

This is a discussion on What slider(s) make cpu swing at balls and take strikes? within the MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15
What slider(s) make cpu swing at balls and take strikes?

I'd like to see the CPU take a few more strikes and swing at a few more balls out of the zone.

Not at an unrealistic clip, just a little more than now.

What slider, or sliders, can influence this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: What slider(s) make cpu swing at balls and take strikes?

Decreasing CPU Contact (and/or Timing, which is an extension of Contact in some ways) does everything you listed, one way or another.

A decreased Contact leads to a decreased plate vision, which means the CPU is prone to chase more pitches outside the zone. It also leads to more "confused" batters, ie: where they completely misread a pitch and take it regardless of the count/pitch. The CPU is programmed to "attempt" to only swing at pitches it thinks it can successfully put in play. It's aware of its own ability, so by reducing its ability, you are reducing the number of pitches it can put in play, and thus, you are reducing the number of times it swings at all. Granted, the actual differential is only marginal at best.

The biggest reason the CPU seems to infinitely swing at pitches in the strike zone, is that you are probably throwing too many of them. It's somewhat of a catch 22 - it doesn't really make sense to intentionally throw pitches outside the strike zone until you have lowered CPU Contact, so I'm not saying you have been pitching incorrectly, I'm just throwing that out there.

Before I digress too much, the point is that if you decrease Contact, the CPU will be more likely to chase, meaning you can be less aggressive, which in turn means the CPU will (over time, it will take a while to read your new pitching style) swing at significantly fewer pitches. Thus all your problems are eventually solved with that one slider.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Before you go messing with sliders, let me just say this:

I've greatly increased my K numbers by focusing on one specific thing. Hitting the yellow line on my pitching meter follow through.

I have no evidence to support it (perfect timing effecting batter agression or vision), and I've been known to be wrong before, but CPU hitters are now much more patient and willing to chase now that I'm beginning to consistently make the pitching meter flash.

I've literally increased my K/9 by around 1.5.

Consider changing your pitching preset to a view with a larger meter (wide offset is what I use), or manually change it's size in the camera editor.

This may or may not help you, but it could be worth a shot.

Otherwise, Bobhead's advice is pretty sound.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
MVP

slthree's Arena

Thanks for the quick reply.

Darn, I hate to decrease CPU contact because the hits per game seem just about right now.

I can get the cpu to swing on balls outside the zone when I jump ahead in the count. But, from time to time I want to see the CPU try to jump on a first pitch ball (like a high fb).

I'll throw a first pitch strike to 3 or 4 batters in a row. That should trigger the CPU to swing at the first pitch but when I throw that first pitch ball, they don't swing, and that's not baseball.

When I used to play, if the 3 guys in front of me got 1st pitch fast balls I was 1st pitch swinging no matter where the ball was.

I guess I will lower the CPU contact to see how it plays out. I was hoping there was another way.

Thanks again
Old 08-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians

I've greatly increased my K numbers by focusing on one specific thing. Hitting the yellow line on my pitching meter follow through.

I have no evidence to support it (perfect timing effecting batter agression or vision), and I've been known to be wrong before, but CPU hitters are now much more patient and willing to chase now that I'm beginning to consistently make the pitching meter flash.

Consider changing your pitching preset to a view with a larger meter (wide offset is what I use), or manually change it's size in the camera editor.

Excellent point. I focus alot on the meter and when you nail the yellow, the pitch is unhittable at times. Not all meters are created equal either. Each pitcher will have different sensitivities with the meter.

Now if I can avoid the occassional (stuttering that I've been experiencing with my new PS3) pitching will improve.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #6
MVP

slthree's Arena

H&V, what's up brotha

Yeah, I here ya and I think your theory is probably right but I use Classic Pitching

Quote:

Old 08-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

Same here.

I'll add another tidbit. Not only does it help for the punch out pitch itself, but it feels like it helps with setting guys up for strike outs too. If I've been nailing the yellow line during an AB, it seems like that gives me a better chance to make the CPU look stupid on a pitch like a curve ball in the dirt.. regardless of whether or not I nail the line perfectly on the actual strike out pitch.

It know sound almost ridiculously obvious, but there's really no reason for the yellow line not to be the number 1 priority for every pitch. I was lazy about it on last years game, and my pitching stats suffered. Not so much ERA, but my strike outs took a huge hit. This year everything has been just about perfect for me on HOF.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

BobHead and ALL THE GUYS are telling you some good STUFF. If you want the cpu to swing at high balls, first you have to throw high strikes. Once the cpu know you are throwing high strikes, which THE CPU LOVES, then start throwing high balls. The cpu picks up on your habits, unlike any baseball game I have ever played. This is a THINKING MAN OR WOMAN game. Use its INTELLIGENCE to your BENEFIT. You have to throw in the RED sometimes and then pick the corners, as well as up and down pitches. Thats changed cpu eye view. This is HOW ITS fool us, it will throw high pitches and when you start looking for High it will throw LOW pitches. Because the cpu have changed your vision, VERY SMART GUYS, SONY IS.

Last edited by Thomas7; 08-19-2011 at 07:55 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »