Home

Video card for 2K on PC

This is a discussion on Video card for 2K on PC within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Video card for 2K on PC

How good of a video card do you need to play 2K on PC? I have 2K11 on 360 but I was thinking about buying it for PC when 2K12 comes out but not if I have to spend a couple hundred bucks on a video card. Are there any that aren't crazy expensive where I could play it smoothly?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
MVP

infam0us's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Video card for 2K on PC

You should post your specs, processor matters as well. I once did the mistake of just updating my video card when the rest of my PC sucked.

I paid 100 for my video card, a GTS 450. I can run 2k at max settings just fine with it.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26
Check the system requirements when they come out. I'm guessing you have to spend around $100-150 if you want a graphics card rha can handle 2K12.

It's not too expensive. I live in Sweden and I spent around $180 for a card that can run NBA 2K11 smoothly on everything maxed out. In Sweden that's not too expensive, don't know if that's alot in the US though.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=59.316914,18.045891

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/
Old 08-14-2011, 01:41 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Post your full PC specs and your budget, only then can proper suggestions be made. Make sure you include your PSU brand, wattage, and amperage on the +12v rail. This information is found on the sticker of the PSU.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:32 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

I have an Athlon II X4 630 and the power supply is a Corsair VX450 which I googled and I think it's 33 amps on the 12V rail. And 4GB of RAM. I've got 3 hard drives and 3 tuners installed so I'm guessing I might need a bigger psu.

As for budget, 2K12 will probably be about the only game I play so as cheap as possible while still playing smoothly.

Last edited by squeakybirnbaum; 08-14-2011 at 02:53 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
All Star

mikenoob's Arena

OVR: 21

Depends what you mean by smoothly. Low? Mid? High? Maxed?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

I wouldn't go with anything less than the HD 6770. It's an excellent entry level gaming GPU, and is priced appropriately. The HD 6770 is simply a re-badge of the HD 5770, a great card for mid-range system. I actually have an HD 5770 in my secondary PC and it does very well on most modern games, including NBA2K11. It will play most other games, such as Crysis, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Assassin's Creed 1 & 2, Far Cry 2, Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2, etc... etc... on medium to high settings as well at a resolution of either 1680 x 1050 or 1920 x 1080.

I can play NBA 2K11 @ all High settings, except player detail on medium (due to cloth physics) with my secondary PC that has the HD 5770. This also includes a rather heavily modded game. FPS is in the low to mid 40's, which is very smooth for this game. The reason I cannot max out the Player Detail is due to a weaker processor that's not up to the task of handling the cloth physics. The CPU is a Athlon 64 x2 4200 @ 2.5 Ghz. A very dated CPU. However you have a stronger, 2nd generation, quad-core, processor and will likely be able to max the game out. I expect 2K12 to have very similar, if not exact, system requirements as 2K11, since it's apparently running on the exact same engine.

I will recommend that you get the XFX HD6770 from Newegg.com. XFX is a great company and have excellent double-lifetime warranties for many of their products if you simply register them online. I've owned a handful of XFX products over the years and never had issues. I currently have the previously mentioned XFX HD5770 in my secondary PC, and an XFX HD6970 in my main gaming rig. Both are excellent cards for their targeted audience.

Oh, almost forgot. Your Corsair 450w PSU is more than sufficient for the HD6770. You really only need a quality 400w, so you're good. Corsair is another great company and make top-notch PSUs. You were spot on with the amperage too; it's 33A on the +12, and 20A on the 3v and 5v rails, which is solid.

I Hope this helps and if you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Hey guys I just bought a new laptop and picked up 2k11 for PC, it will only run smoothly on the lowest settings. If I post my specs can someone please help me out with what kind of updating I would need to the computer for it to run well on higher settings!

ok I'll just post the laptop web page with specs noted, I haven't changed anything except installed Direct X when asked...

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/ca/Ecom...o?series=TH700

thanks in advance!

edit: here are the "tech specs": http://store.shopfujitsu.com/ca/Ecom...s\fci\th700_ts

Last edited by caml17; 08-14-2011 at 09:32 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »