Home

Default Sliders - Was Worried About Walks....

This is a discussion on Default Sliders - Was Worried About Walks.... within the MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
Rookie

Suvorov's Arena

OVR: 3
Default Sliders - Was Worried About Walks....

First, I want to say I have been using TNK's and Psycho's sliders since they released them and had awesome games. However, I decided that since I never really gave the default sliders a good chance, to start a new Franchise using them and see how it went.

My main concern of course were drawing walks, as I have ALWAYS had problems with this, mostly my fault because I can be the most impatient person anyone has ever met.

Well, as the Angels, in my first game against the Royals, I was walked 5 times in the course of a 9 Inning game. Believe it or not, the most I have EVER received in any one game. I was completely shocked how I was able to get walked. In fact, my lead off batter in the very first inning was walked and one of my players was walked an incredible 3 times his first 3 at bats!

I want to continue these default sliders in the Franchise and see how it goes.

Btw, I use Knight's Opening Day Rosters(V2.0?), timing hitting and analog pitching and I play on All Star across the board.

An added note to the game, I lost 3-2. They went up with a solo shot, then I knocked in 2, they tied it up in the 8th and then in the bottom of the 9th, I blew it. And I mean I blew it, not the computer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: Default Sliders - Was Worried About Walks....

This is allstar? That's good for allstar default. I automatically lower strike frequency before I even start a franchise.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

OVR: 16

The walks are there on default.
A handy thing to do is to first check what the CPU pitcher's BB/9 inning ratio is. If it's low on the meter then you need to take more pitches as they will throw a lot of balls out of the zone.
Also it seems if the CPU is leading in the game, depending on the size of the lead, they will throw more strikes, as they should in that situation.
I've walked 11 times in my last 3 games.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36

I have gone back to default on a lot of my sliders and it seems to be working for me, but I only have small sample size. If you don't mind me asking, about how many hits, & doubles, are you averaging and giving up per game, and how many innings are the starters and relievers pitching, on average? Also, how is the hit variety? Are there a ton of line drives hit up the middle on default? Thanks guys. It's amazing that I've been trying slider combinations out relentlessly the past few weeks and now I'm settling for most of the sliders the game shipped with. Go figure. LOL
Old 08-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
Rookie

Suvorov's Arena

I have only been able to play 3 games so far with default sliders thanks to a very bad glitch/bug called real life, however, through those 3 games I am getting roughly 8 hits per game(about 1 under league average last year), 1.3 doubles per game(barely under avg), and about 2.2 runs per game(mostly because I get panicky and suck when I have men on base).

As far as giving up doubles, runs, etc., I am not the man to ask because I make too many USER errors when fielding(mostly thanks to my old tired eyes and poor reflexes).

Harren pitched a full game in game 1. Game 2 my starter went 7 and in game 3, my starter went 7 again, but I could have let him in if I wanted to. He still had energy but the Royals began to hit off him easier, so I wanted a new pitcher in there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorov
I have only been able to play 3 games so far with default sliders thanks to a very bad glitch/bug called real life, however, through those 3 games I am getting roughly 8 hits per game(about 1 under league average last year), 1.3 doubles per game(barely under avg), and about 2.2 runs per game(mostly because I get panicky and suck when I have men on base).

As far as giving up doubles, runs, etc., I am not the man to ask because I make too many USER errors when fielding(mostly thanks to my old tired eyes and poor reflexes).

Harren pitched a full game in game 1. Game 2 my starter went 7 and in game 3, my starter went 7 again, but I could have let him in if I wanted to. He still had energy but the Royals began to hit off him easier, so I wanted a new pitcher in there.
LOL Sounds good man. I definitely understand your USER error issue. My wife laughed at me the other night because I was nearly sitting on top of my tv trying to play (I play on a 22 inch screen). She asked what I was doing and I told her that I was moving in closer because I had just misplayed a fly ball with Heyward because I couldn't tell if I was standing where I needed to be or not. My hand/eye coordination and video game reflexes are nowhere near where they were 5-10 years ago. I can attribute at least 1-2 hits per game to poor fielding on my part. I also usually have a baserunning blunder or 2 that prevents me from maximizing my offense. It's all good though. I'm still having fun.

Right off the top of my head, I know that I'm playing with Reliever Stamina at 2, Fielding Errors at 7, and Fielder Speed at 3. I can't remember any others, but I know they are either at default or 4 for the rest. Anyway, my sample size is small but I have had 2 decent games like that.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

I play on Default HOF (mostly), and have remarkably realistic stats in my Giants franchise.

Timing Only/Meter Pitching/Auto Fielding (Manual Throwing).

All Defaults, except:

CPU Timing 4 (to increase misses) *
CPU Solid Hits 6 (to compensate for the dropped Timing)*
CPU Consistency 4
CPU Strike Frequency 4
Pitch Speed 2
Fielding Errors 10
Throwing Errors 7
Stolen Base Frequency 8

* I may drop both of these back to default soon, as I realized that I wasn't focusing on the yellow line on the meter as much I should have...thus, I just moved my chair about half a foot closer to the TV! LOL!

31 games:

Team average .257
HR's 37
Doubles 59
SO 248 (this equals exactly 8.0 per game, as I've recently been had a VERY bad stretch)
BB 93 (this equals exactly 3.0 per game)
ERA 4.03

This game plays great on Default, especially since the patch. As you can see, I've made some tweaks here and there, but my stats are pretty much money. Again, I need to re-emphasize, that I took A LOT of time off from playing recently, and have drastically seen my BB numbers decrease, and my SO numbers increase.

Boy, this game is brutal when you're out of practice.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
Rookie

Suvorov's Arena

Wow, your stats for the Giants are VERY close to actual stats from 2010. Are you playing every game or do you sim some? Your HR's and 2B's are very slightly over what they did in 2010. I absolutely LOVE when a sports game can get this accurate while actually playing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »