Home

Pro Yakyuu Spirits Influencing "the Show"

This is a discussion on Pro Yakyuu Spirits Influencing "the Show" within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
Rookie

Conneropsports's Arena

OVR: 1
Pro Yakyuu Spirits Influencing "the Show"

I don't know how many of you have seen videos of the Japanese game Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6, but the game looks pretty awesome. While watching some of the videos on youtube, a couple things came into thought. One thing was the many different types of swing animations they have depending on how you make contact and how good of a swing you took, as well as the animation your batter makes when you take at fastball right down the middle. Here's a link of a video showing that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHEoC...eature=related

Another thing that I thought was really cool was the batting system. I thought the bat outline as your cursor was a really cool idea, and the other techniques they have in the game. And lastly, I thought I'd point out the size of the strike zone in the game... a little above the belt to the knees; how I think "the Show" should be next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Kb3...eature=related

These ideas are purely my own, and in absolutely no way am I badmouthing SCEA or "the Show." I'm just giving some of my insight of what the Show could possibly add to make the game even more realistic to real major league baseball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
Pro

Black59Razr's Arena

Re: Pro Yakyuu Spirits Influencing "the Show"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conneropsports
I don't know how many of you have seen videos of the Japanese game Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6, but the game looks pretty awesome. While watching some of the videos on youtube, a couple things came into thought. One thing was the many different types of swing animations they have depending on how you make contact and how good of a swing you took, as well as the animation your batter makes when you take at fastball right down the middle. Here's a link of a video showing that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHEoC...eature=related

Another thing that I thought was really cool was the batting system. I thought the bat outline as your cursor was a really cool idea, and the other techniques they have in the game. And lastly, I thought I'd point out the size of the strike zone in the game... a little above the belt to the knees; how I think "the Show" should be next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Kb3...eature=related

These ideas are purely my own, and in absolutely no way am I badmouthing SCEA or "the Show." I'm just giving some of my insight of what the Show could possibly add to make the game even more realistic to real major league baseball.
Is the strike zone different in Japan than it is in the MLB? I wonder if SCEA is bound by the MLB to use the strike zone by the book even though umpires do not call that high strike.

I also could not find the quote (I suck at searching) but a dev said once, a few months ago, they would never go to a bat cursor.

I would like them to get rid of the cursor completely and let attributes, timing, hot/cold zones, and influence fly/grounders dictate hitting; pretty much analog hitting as it is now!

Last edited by Black59Razr; 08-07-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:24 AM   #3
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black59Razr
Is the strike zone different in Japan than it is in the MLB? I wonder if SCEA is bound by the MLB to use the strike zone by the book even though umpires do not call that high strike.

I also could not find the quote (I suck at searching) but a dev said once, a few months ago, they would never go to a bat cursor.

I would like them to get rid of the cursor completely and let attributes, timing, hot/cold zones, and influence fly/grounders dictate hitting; pretty much analog hitting as it is now!
The strike zone in the Japanese league is closer to what the rule book specifies, i.e., they call high strikes and don't expand the zone outside (something a lot of players from there struggle with they say).

I also remember Russell_SCEA commenting that they have no intention of using a bat cursor in future in the Show.

Honestly I'm quite amazed how zone players can actually move PCI on fly... the pitch speed is too fast for me to do that (I use analog). However, some players do want control over PCI placement, so I don't see how the devs want to get rid of it... There have been big discussions about user input vs. rating attribute influencing the plays. They both have pros and cons.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
Pr*

ELDoro's Arena

OVR: 12

Spirits is the best baseball game out there.

The Show could definitely takes notes, most notably with the online play/ how they eliminate lag during pitches.

Basically the pitcher does his little meter thing then that info gets sent to the at bat player where his game plays through the pitch so there is no lag. When your playing you don't even notice this though and it makes for no one getting screwed on a lag pitch.

Since getting spirits I have put my Show down and havent played since. LOL however I was thinking about popping it in today and figured I'd run by the forum first and what do you know I see a Spirits thread
Old 08-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
Rookie

Conneropsports's Arena

I agree with you completely ELDoro. I haven't played the game yet, but I look forward to getting it soon. The animations are so much smoother than the show, and the it just seems like more of a unique experience. It seems to me that SCEA should recruit some Japanese developers and other artists experienced in making Pro Yakyuu Spirits. And if you don't mind me asking, where did you order PYS 2011 and how cheap did they have it priced at? The only downside is the difference in price, but I'd assume you'd get your moneys worth with PYS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
Rookie

Conneropsports's Arena

Here's something else I found to be pretty cool thanks to spiritstranslation.com

Look how many different types of pitches there are!!!!

http://www.spiritstranslation.com/at...tch_types.html
Old 08-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
Pro

Pielet's Arena

OVR: 12

Let me first say BOTH games are EXCELLENT, but the Show could definitely import in some things from PYS 2011.

Presentation - Despite it being in a completely foreign language any baseball fan IMMEDIATELY can pick up the emotion and UNDERSTAND the presentation of the game of baseball.

- Player comes up to play and stat boxes show: the usual (avg, hr, rbis), a players usual stats against the team they are playing, if runners are in scoring position their usual stats in that situation

- Runners get on base and you are immediately given baserunning statistics (attempted steals and steals)

- Fielding percentages on replays from great plays are displayed

- The graphics aren't as crisp as the show and has a little flavor to it at times, however I kinda like it (for example on replays the ball flight leaves a mini trail not unlike a camera tracing a moving ball does)

- The ATMOSPHERE of a NPB Baseball game is alive and well in PYS including player chants for a ton of players. Sakamoto leads off for the Giants and you hear:
"Sah kah moh toe, saka (drum drum), moto (drum drum)!"

- Player abilities, pitching descriptions, etc are EASILY learned and UNDERSTANDABLE cause they are SIMPLE

Playability - PYS uses a fairly intuitive system to play the game and follows the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid).

- No specific button for diving while fielding, rather it uses any button (I simply use the corresponding button I intend to throw to)

- Cutoff man can be controlled to intercept throws home and catch runners

- The batting interface is quite unique and allows infinite possibilities through its physics engine, however the coolest and simplest thing the Show could borrow from it is to simply stay on the batter for that extra 1/2 a second after the hit the ball so you see where it goes

- While the game doesn't have sliders per se like the show, it does have assigned difficulties for about every aspect of the game (batting, fielding, pitching, etc) that is their version of sliders and makes the game as customizable as the show

- Throwing animations can be interrupted mid animation to throw to another base

- As people mentioned, there are a ton of batting animations

- My wish items for PYS 2012 come right from the show: variable strike zones, swing analysis mid at bat (ie too early, too late, etc - currently only available in batting practice)
Old 08-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #8
Pro

Black59Razr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDoro
...Spirits is the best baseball game out there...
Is there another batting mode? That hitter/pitcher interface on the posted videos is a joke. Its like playing pong. Once the pitcher releases the ball, you have to take your eyes off the action, look for his pong ball, and move your paddle to it and swing? How could this feel like baseball to anyone?

Last edited by Black59Razr; 08-07-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »