Home

My return to Analog Hitting

This is a discussion on My return to Analog Hitting within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Pro

Black59Razr's Arena

OVR: 1
My return to Analog Hitting

So, I was ready to return TheShow and wait for Madden. I got so sick of zone hitting. Not bashing the game at all; best sports game I have ever played; I just reached my limit. Tried timing hitting and hated that. So I decided to give analog hitting another shot.

Wow, I love this game again! I am probably going to keep this game all winter.

This was the first time I tried analog hitting since the patch. I had a hard time with it for the first few games. So I played as the NL allstars against some scrub pitcher; hitting only. After killing him for two games, I decided to try it out for real. The hit variety is different. I wouldn't say there is more variety; its just different. There is a lot more jam shots, duck snorts, and dying quails. Zone hitting was either an out or a rocket for a hit. Home runs are about the same. There seems to be less doubles and line drives. But this is based on only a 4-5 game sample.

The biggest, rather only, hurdle I had to overcome was pulling back on the analog stick. It was very hard for me to concentrate on the pitcher's release while moving the stick down. I wrote this thread because I think this may be every sim player's problem; that is forced to play on zone hitting; like me. The follow through, analog stick up, is no problem. Pushing up on the analog stick takes just as much concentration as pressing the swing button.

When I swing at a bad pitch, 90% of the time its because I lost my concentration on the delivery when I was pulling back. 90% of my good swings are because of the opposite; I was able to concentrate on the release; putting the back swing in the back of my mind.

Analog hitting can become easier that zone hitting, once you have learned how to automatically pull back the stick. I have yet to make this automatic. I have to tell myself to pull back everytime.

It adds a new element to hitting. You can now feel why a weak hitter muscled out a homerun, or how you got a bloop single with a pitcher. Also, you feel why your #3 hitter popped up a 2-0 fastball down the middle. Man, crushing a homerun feels so smooth! There is was more feel than zone hitting.

As far as different player's strides, I stride the same with every player and don't see much of a difference. Hanley's long stride and Albert's no stride work with the same analog stick timing.

The only hitting slider I adjusted is solid hits to 3; which may be why I am seeing less line drives & doubles. The only problem is not being able to influence a groundball or flyball. But I will take that 1 problem over zone or timing any day.

Last edited by Black59Razr; 08-04-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: sp
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: My return to Analog Hitting

Do you just push straight up or do you push up and the direction the pitch is headed? That was always my issue; all my swings showed the PCI in the left corner. I'm fine with the upswing by my reactions aren't fast enough to also push to the left or right.
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Old 08-05-2011, 12:21 AM   #3
Pro

Black59Razr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Do you just push straight up or do you push up and the direction the pitch is headed? That was always my issue; all my swings showed the PCI in the left corner. I'm fine with the upswing by my reactions aren't fast enough to also push to the left or right.

I always attempt to swing straight. I always use contact swing with 2 strikes, so I don't really have an issue trying to cover inside/outside. Moving it left/right is way to hard for me.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
Pro

jacory12's Arena

OVR: 12

Makes me want to give this a shot...what are your settings/sliders?
Old 08-05-2011, 01:16 AM   #5
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black59Razr
I always attempt to swing straight. I always use contact swing with 2 strikes, so I don't really have an issue trying to cover inside/outside. Moving it left/right is way to hard for me.
So just going down and up is providing good results? What difficulty level? I agree that L/R is too tough. My biggest issue in the pas was pulling pitches with left-handed hitters.
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2011, 01:25 AM   #6
Pro

Black59Razr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacory12
Makes me want to give this a shot...what are your settings/sliders?
All Star Analog hitting
All visual indicators off; strike zone, pitch info, everything
All hitting sliders at 5; except solid hits at 3
All umpire stuff default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
So just going down and up is providing good results? What difficulty level? I agree that L/R is too tough. My biggest issue in the pas was pulling pitches with left-handed hitters.
Just straight up and down; I have less contact and more power than zone. But I used to play 6 contact, 4 power, 3 solid hits when I was on zone. I could not find any popular analog sliders, so I just started with everything at 5 and solid hits at 3. If I keep slugging high and on basing low, I may go back to contact 6, power 4.

On another note, when they tweek/improve analog hitting for next year, I don't want to be 2 years behind.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:28 AM   #7
Pro

jacory12's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black59Razr
All Star Analog hitting
All visual indicators off; strike zone, pitch info, everything
All hitting sliders at 5; except solid hits at 3
All umpire stuff default

Just straight up and down; I have less contact and more power than zone. But I used to play 6 contact, 4 power, 3 solid hits when I was on zone. I could not find any popular analog sliders, so I just started with everything at 5 and solid hits at 3. If I keep slugging high and on basing low, I may go back to contact 6, power 4.

On another note, when they tweek/improve analog hitting for next year, I don't want to be 2 years behind.
Thanks man I'll try them out shortly. And what about your CPU pitching sliders? 5 as well?
Old 08-05-2011, 01:43 AM   #8
Pro

Black59Razr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacory12
Thanks man I'll try them out shortly. And what about your CPU pitching sliders? 5 as well?
Reliever stamina at 0; everything else default 5.

You know, its funny how instinctual checking your swing is. I thought I would have a hard time trying to think about checking my swing, but its so natural; just release it even if you start moving it up. Unlike zone, I almost always knows how the check swing appeal will be called; great feel.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »