Home

YOUR Guess/Hopes/Comments/Arguments on other Members for the Greatest Mode

This is a discussion on YOUR Guess/Hopes/Comments/Arguments on other Members for the Greatest Mode within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 10
NBA 2K12: Other Players/Teams for the Greatest Mode

Who would you want as other players/teams in the Greatest Mode? Discuss, argue, suggest, comment here.

I was born in 1981 and didn't really get into the NBA til the early 90s. My perception of "classic" greats is limited, but it'd be great if they put as many championship teams and the runners up in 2K12 as they can (through DLC or any other way).

Here's who I want to see in addition to who we know:
- Shaq's '01 Lakers
- Tim Duncan's '03 Spurs
- Pierce's '08 Celtics
- any of Oscar Robertson's prime (triple-double-season-year) teams
- Hakeem's '94 or '95 Rockets

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by ifriedrice; 08-03-2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: changed title
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: YOUR Guess/Hopes/Comments/Arguments on other Members for the Greatest Mode

You never know with licencing difficulties and whatnot, but I'd have to imagine a Wilt vs. Russell battle would have to be in there somewhere.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
MVP

Most of the players I want in the game are from the 80's and 90's.

Charles Barkley (I know it's a long shot, but...) and the Suns
Dominique Wilkins and the Hawks
Ewing/Starks/Oakley/Mason/Wilkins/Jackson and the Knicks
Stockton and Malone and the Jazz
David Robinson and the Spurs
Akeem/Hakeem Olajuwon and the Rockets
Reggie Miller and the Pacers
Clyde Drexler and the Blazers
Price/Harper/Nance/Daugherty/Williams/Ehlo Cavs
Payton and Kemp and the Sonics
Harper/Blackman/Schrempf/Perkins Mavs
Isaiah Thomas and the Bad Boy Pistons
Moncrief/Pierce/Sikma and the Bucks
Rice/Smith/Seikaly and the Heat
Mourning/Johnson/Bogues and the Hornets

- Michael Jordan

Last edited by sportjames23; 08-04-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

Iverson '01 76ers
Shaq/Kkobe Lakers
Miller's Pacers
Give me that and I'm good
Old 08-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Pro

Based on reading the IGN article, the Greatest Mode seems to be like the Jordan Mode but with the larger variety players. That could mean individual games, but maybe also entire playoff series as well, just like the Jordan Mode.

Here is a good list of record scoring games they could recreate from NBA History:
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/10983184/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

The easy assumption to make would be the '94 Rockets playing the '94 Knicks, right? That'd at least knock the classic Knicks team back a year from 2K11.

Similarly, Randy Wittman last played for the Hawks in '88, and he can be seen in the trailer, so another safe bet may be "The Duel" between Larry Bird and Dominique Wilkins.

Last edited by VDusen04; 08-04-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #7
MVP

^^^One of the greatest basketball games I've ever had the pleasure of watching. And I watched it live when it was first broadcast.

Fun times. Fun times.

- Michael Jordan
Old 08-04-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 25

Ok, so we know that Michael, Magic, Larry, Kareem and Dr. J are in 10 are going to announced later. From what we've seen in videos and photos so far I feel it is safe to assume that 'Nique, Hakeem, Cylde Drexler are in the game. If we were to factor those 3 in then we have 8 known and 7 unknown. However, if this supposed to be like the Jordan Challenge then wouldn't 2k have to include more than just the 15 classic teams?

For instance let's say that Dr. J's moment involves his famous under the backboard reverse lay-up, that was the 1980 finals vs the Lakers. But 2k could go with 1983 finals vs. Lakers when the Sixers won. But neither of those Lakers teams would have any "classic games" vs. Boston. For me those would come in 85-86, 86-87, 87-88 etc.

So are we looking at scenario like last year with the difference being that the challenges are built around the 3 cover athletes or something else.

If it is like last year then we should see several variations of the Lakers and Celtics form the 80's like we did with MJ and the Bulls.

Kareem was included and they say 10 more all-time greats will be announced. Everyone is assuming this means 15 "classic teams". Unless they included Oscar Robertson and the 71 Bucks, the Kareem will be strictly a Laker and paired with Magic. That would knock the number of teams to 14.

However, I feel the number of classic teams should rise well above that. If the rumors (i say rumors but as far I can tell it is all but confirmed) that 91 GSW and 02 Kings are available with pre-order they would surely tie in the teams already in the game. Golden State would have to face a 91 Lakers team (since they were in 2k11, this leads to me assume that several if not all the classic teams in 2k11 will be available in 2k12) and 02 Kings would be up against the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. That pretty nails down those two teams (91 & 02 Lakers) as in the game also.

This leads me to ask, is Shaq one of the greats yet to be announce? At first, thinking of Shaq being one of the "all-time" greats yet to be announced upset me. Not because I don't think Shaq was great or deserving or anything like that, but the more I thought the more excited I got. If Shaq is one of the unannounced greats that leads to believe that a Shaq/Penny Magic team may lurk out there as well.

Anyway, this is a guess/hope thread so here's my guess/hope.

At first with the 3 cover athletes I thought they have 3 different challenges. Jordan Challenge - pretty much same as last year with hopeful addition of 93 finals vs Suns, then Larry and Magic's would be games vs. each other and a couple other teams. So Larry would have the 85-86 Finals vs. Lakers, the shoot-out against 'Nique, and a duel with Dr. J.. Magic would be about the same with 80 Finals vs Philly, 86-87 finals vs Boston and perhaps the 91 Warriors series.

Then with the addition of more players and teams I got the thinking well maybe it will be more of team challenges. For example each "classic" team would have their own challenges. A Boston challenge would include Bird plus other Celtics greats like Russell and Cousy. The Lakers would have Magic and Kareem plus Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Wilt. Philly could have the DR. J. stuff plus Wilt again. Chicago would have the Jordan challenge for the most part.

This all gets derailed though, when I realize that the Rockets don't really fit any of those. But, this most likely means that Patrick Ewing and the Knicks will also be back on the game and lends to my Penny/Shaq Magic hopes. It would be nearly criminal if Hakeem and Clyde are in the game and they only do the 93-94 Rockets and not 94-95.

What ever way 2k goes, I'm sure I'll be happy. Sorry for the ramble but I've been kicking all this awesomeness around in my head working out possible scenarios and had to get it out somewhere.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »