Home

Why are certain player retirements hardwired into the game?

This is a discussion on Why are certain player retirements hardwired into the game? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
MVP

BoSoxPujols's Arena

OVR: 7
Why are certain player retirements hardwired into the game?

I have a 22 year old B potential pitcher. He's the 7th best pitcher in my entire organization yet he wants to retire due to a "poor free agent market". What? Even if I go in and bump him to 99's across the board(just to test it) he still retires.

Why would the game be designed so that no matter what certain guys retired regardless of potential/skill/etc?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
Rookie

yanksrule4ever's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Why are certain player retirements hardwired into the game?

I don't know why he would retire in the first place, but if you are past the draft, that is why he always retires. After the draft, the game locks retirements.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

OVR: 39

Retirements are looked in on players after the draft is done. Before when the draft was placed in the offseason you could always reload it to change who retired, but since it was moved to June, that's when the game determines who the new players are going to replace.

It isn't perfect, but hey, it's not like it can't happen in real-life as well (just change the reason for retirement).
Old 07-19-2011, 01:56 AM   #4
Banned

mondoguitar's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag3vsW0rld
Retirements are looked in on players after the draft is done. Before when the draft was placed in the offseason you could always reload it to change who retired, but since it was moved to June, that's when the game determines who the new players are going to replace.

It isn't perfect, but hey, it's not like it can't happen in real-life as well (just change the reason for retirement).
Like Manny retiring instead of serving his 100 game suspension. LOL Who could've seen that coming. haha
Old 07-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
MVP

BoSoxPujols's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksrule4ever
I don't know why he would retire in the first place, but if you are past the draft, that is why he always retires. After the draft, the game locks retirements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag3vsW0rld

The game "locking in" retirements is one of the dumbest things I've seen it do. Jim Thome retired due to "ability" when he hit .275 with 48HR's and 124RBI's.

The difference with the guy you posted is my guy was pitching at AA ball and was a September call up and started 3 games going 1-1 with an ERA around 3.15. He was going to be in the starting rotation next season. Him retiring due to "lack of a FA market" is absurd since he is a minor leaguer and is under team control. The FA market would have nothing to do with him. He was making 130k this past year.

The Show does a lot of things really well but like most sports games the franchise and dynasty logic on some of the most basic levels is just beyond awful.

The 22 year old B potential MLB pitcher retires....however Polin Trinidad, an F potential AAA pitcher who is also a FA doesn't?

Wut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoguitar
Like Manny retiring instead of serving his 100 game suspension. LOL Who could've seen that coming. haha
Well Manny was washed up and done. So it really wasn't that surprising.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

He was definitely at least a "B".
Deal with it....

....http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4849432

M.K.
Knight165
Old 07-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Deal with it....

M.K.
Knight165
This is the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread, lol. Couldn't remember the name tho.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

YouTube

Old 07-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
MVP

BoSoxPujols's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Deal with it....

M.K.
Knight165
1. Desme never saw the majors. In fact he never played above High-A ball. My player was actually in the big leagues.

2. The "logic" was a "poor free agent market". As I've already covered this player should have been under team control for years. Free agency wouldn't have been an issue.

"Deal with it" isn't a solution to the underlying issue of SCEA not having the player under team control issue correct and their retirement logic being absurd.(ie basing it off the draft results...what sense does that make?) Also, it's not even consistant across the board. I can sim to retirements from the end of the season and see Jeff Baker(torn achillies) and Adam Wainwright retire due to injury....yet sometimes they don't

The retirement logic of this game is a joke. "Deal with it" doesn't actually address the problem or even acknowledge there is one...when there is.

Last edited by BoSoxPujols; 07-19-2011 at 04:39 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »