Home

WORLDWIDE WES Owns the NCAA

This is a discussion on WORLDWIDE WES Owns the NCAA within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
Rookie

Scarecrow IzA G's Arena

OVR: 3
WORLDWIDE WES Owns the NCAA

Heard about this on the radio the other day....
http://eye-on-college-basketball.blo...83066/30511454

Quote:
AKRON, Ohio -- The NCAA sends representatives to monitor various July events, and because the LeBron James Skills Academy is the event with the best prospects and most high-profile coaches, there are two members of the Basketball Focus Group at the University of Akron.

They're here to make sure the coaches stay where they're supposed to stay and the prospects stay where they're supposed to stay, and they do a fine job of it. But here's the issue: They can't quite figure out what to do with William Wesley -- the man more commonly known as "Worldwide Wes" -- who basically has the run of the place.

Wesley is a longtime and well-documented power-broker who now works with Creative Arts Agency (CAA). And even though people associated with agents are supposed to be nowhere close to players at an event like this, Wesley has spent the better part of tonight sitting in a chair on the court around Kentucky freshmen Anthony Davis and Michael Gilchrist, and within talking and bumping distance of every high-school prospect in attendance.

Nike officials allow it to happen.

So it happens.

And Wesley must know just how much it agitates the NCAA. For proof, consider that I was standing with the two NCAA officials earlier tonight, just talking and catching up when we were suddenly interrupted by a young man who tapped one of the NCAA officials on the shoulder.

"Excuse me," the young man said. "Wes wanted me to tell you hello."

On one hand, troubling.

On the other, absolutely hilarious.

I found it amazing that WWW & Cal can do stuff like this right in front of the NCAA and they cant/wont do anything about it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
We Spent Some Money!

ZM Punk's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: WORLDWIDE WES Owns the NCAA

I don't know what the deal is on the whole WWW thing. I know it looks very shady at best.

Adolphus Washington-Ohio State Freshman
Old 07-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
MVP

PhantomPain's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow IzA G
Heard about this on the radio the other day....
http://eye-on-college-basketball.blo...83066/30511454

Quote:
AKRON, Ohio -- The NCAA sends representatives to monitor various July events, and because the LeBron James Skills Academy is the event with the best prospects and most high-profile coaches, there are two members of the Basketball Focus Group at the University of Akron.

They're here to make sure the coaches stay where they're supposed to stay and the prospects stay where they're supposed to stay, and they do a fine job of it. But here's the issue: They can't quite figure out what to do with William Wesley -- the man more commonly known as "Worldwide Wes" -- who basically has the run of the place.

Wesley is a longtime and well-documented power-broker who now works with Creative Arts Agency (CAA). And even though people associated with agents are supposed to be nowhere close to players at an event like this, Wesley has spent the better part of tonight sitting in a chair on the court around Kentucky freshmen Anthony Davis and Michael Gilchrist, and within talking and bumping distance of every high-school prospect in attendance.

Nike officials allow it to happen.

So it happens.

And Wesley must know just how much it agitates the NCAA. For proof, consider that I was standing with the two NCAA officials earlier tonight, just talking and catching up when we were suddenly interrupted by a young man who tapped one of the NCAA officials on the shoulder.

"Excuse me," the young man said. "Wes wanted me to tell you hello."

On one hand, troubling.

On the other, absolutely hilarious.

I found it amazing that WWW & Cal can do stuff like this right in front of the NCAA and they cant/wont do anything about it.
Just what exactly is being done? He is not an agent, he is not there representing anyone nor any particular school. He has great coaching friends and Cal is one of them but so is K and Self. He was near Gilchrist because he has known him and been very close to him since he was a child. Just because the article points out two UK players and then says "within talking and bumbing distance from every high school prospect in attendance" doesn't mean he was only talking to Gilchrist and Davis. In fact, the only reason they are mentioned is to get hits on the article.

Furthermore, the NCAA knows exactly who WWW is and what he does and knows he doesn't do anything illegal (at least have never been able to prove it) and if they could they would bring the hammer down. UK/Cal are the last school/coach that the NCAA would turn a blind eye to.

This article has no substance except that WWW told someone to say hi to the NCAA. Other than that, it is a hit piece and dropping UK players names will always garner a lot of attention. Mission accomplished.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

That quote about the young kid is f'n hilarious. Gangsta.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 07-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
MVP

PhantomPain's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
That quote about the young kid is f'n hilarious. Gangsta.
I agree. I mean WWW obviously has a planet sized ego and all, but I thought that was crazy funny.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

I thought it was hilarious that the OP mentioned WWW & Cal when Cal wasn't even mentioned in the article. People act like Calipari is the only coach that Worldwide Wes deals with. Coach K comes to mind..

Last edited by DakkoN; 07-10-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
All Star

Jonesy's Arena

OVR: 27

I don't see what the big deal is. WWW is LeBron's rep isn't he and it was Lebron's camp so he has every right to be there I would think?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

It's shady all around.

Yeah it's their event. But I don't like it. Say what you want but this whole bumping shoulders these guys are doing is no different than stuff that gets coaches fired and schools banned from postseason play.

So, these kids will magically sign onto CAA once they hit the league but everything was innocent and peachy while they were high schoolers and college players under NCAA rules?

FOH.

On the other side of the coin, the NCAA is just salty that they're not getting a cut. They're like the tax man.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »