Home

I am a high school football coach

This is a discussion on I am a high school football coach within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
I am a high school football coach

this will be my first year of coaching high school football and I am going to use NCAA 12 to have my players learn my playbook. Perhaps some of you can offer up your best systems? I am a fan of the Mississippi State style of Spread. I'm thinking of mixing in some power sets (wishbone, power I, Maryland I, etc.) for short yardage situations. We will be a no huddle offense. My defense is not complex at all. I'm going to rush 6 80% of the time and only drop into zone on 3rd and 8 or more. I have been a fan of the NCAA series for several years now.

A little history on the team I am taking over. We are a 3A school in Alabama. Our last winning season was 1987 (6-5). That was also the last year the program made the state playoffs. The school is 90% white. I want to make it fun for the guys.

We are not allowed to start practice until August but we can do some 7-on-7 tournaments and I plan on having some NCAA tournaments at my home. Some of the kids do not have game systems and that is a problem I am currently trying to work out. I have met with most of the players parents and have informed them of my plan. I have several fund raising ideas in the works (car washes, lawn mowings, etc.) to try and raise some money and I am trying to start a booster club. Yes, you read that correctly. This team does not even have a booster club!

It is not going to be easy but with some hard work we will turn this program around. I have been a reader here for quite some time and there are some good football minds here. I am looking for any help I can get so please throw some ideas at me.

Thanks

Coach Kirby
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: I am a high school football coach

look @ the multiple playbook. on ncaa11, i used that one, along w/ so. carolinas. U might 2 also incorporate a litttle oregon, nevada
Old 07-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

What high school?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

seasprite,

I really don't feel comfortable putting that out there. Nothing against anyone but to me that seems a little too personal.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Kirby
seasprite,

I really don't feel comfortable putting that out there. Nothing against anyone but to me that seems a little too personal.
Oh ok just wondering, my family has been coaching Alabama high school football for over 60 years, just curious because this is the first time I have ever heard of a coach wanting to get coaching tips from a video sports gaming board. Wanted to see how this approach would translate into actual real life football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Rookie

IronVictory's Arena

OVR: 8

Coach,

Good luck to you this season. I coach high school football in Georgia. I'm starting this year as a coordinator at a 1A school after spending time as an assistant at a pair of 5A schools (our largest division).

I do have some experience in starting a booster club. Last year I took over as HC for a men's lacrosse team that didn't have one (after the previous HC ran everything into the ground), and it was awesome to see something like that get built from the ground up. I know it will be a rewarding experience for you.

One idea I do have for you is a silent auction/trivia night dinner. We did that last year and made a good amount of money. The key is to get the booster club (and all the parents) on board with your plan. I'd start by having a couple of massive parent-info meetings.

PM me if you ever need a good sounding board. Hope I can help.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
Rookie

cap032's Arena

OVR: 6

Just a tip, Id be careful blitzing 6 that often. A blitz is most effective when it is disguised or a surprise. Nothing wrong with blitzing that often but it will be more effective if you mix it up. Maybe bring 6 one play then give the same look but drop the DE's into coverage, etc., etc. Watch some film of Alabamas D, Saban & Smart are masters of mixing it up and disquising blitzes. Good luck to you and best wishes.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
Rookie

WildeCane's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap032
Just a tip, Id be careful blitzing 6 that often. A blitz is most effective when it is disguised or a surprise. Nothing wrong with blitzing that often but it will be more effective if you mix it up. Maybe bring 6 one play then give the same look but drop the DE's into coverage, etc., etc. Watch some film of Alabamas D, Saban & Smart are masters of mixing it up and disquising blitzes. Good luck to you and best wishes.
its hs football unless u got the next peyton manning back there most teams run most of the time anyway...at least here in nj
Chi Bulls
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »