Home

How To: Baserunning

This is a discussion on How To: Baserunning within the MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
MVP

ILiveForThis's Arena

OVR: 13
How To: Baserunning

Anyone not getting realistic results when it comes to baserunning? I feel as if baserunning is an art and those who are good, should be head and shoulders above the pack.
This thread is made for tests when it comes sliders (stealing attempts, baserunner speed, success/failure) along with the skill of stealing bases.
When I steal, I get my one-two step lead then hit L2 pre-pitch. This gives the runner a 'good' jump, according to time and reaction. If I hit L2 when I want him to go, can I get a better jump which should lead to more successes?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: How To: Baserunning

For all of the components that this game excels in, it's baserunning mini-game is deeply flawed.

It's root cause is its pickoff logic. Though it is much improved over last year's, being unable to reap the benefits of a dangerous lead with a dangerous baserunner just about eliminates that aspect of the game to me.

I steal, and I take leads. I just hate to because pickoffs are highly inflated.

1. The user has no ability to return a runner once a pickoff has been initiated. You're essentially at the mercy of the programming; which is fine, except...

2. As far as I can tell, there is no pitcher pickoff success rating. You have equally as much of a chance to get picked off by Clay Bucholtz as you do Andy Pettitte. Now, to be fair, I'm not certain that this is the case. I just have no reason not to be.

As for base stealing, I actually find default success to be perfect for me.

CPU stolen base frequency is way low on default, though. I set mine to 8 and still feel like it could use an additional bump.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 24

Completely agree 100%

I recently started just playing with the pickoff slider turned down to like 2, and then I just force myself to throw fewer pickoffs also, to keep it fair. I give up more steals in exchange for giving myself a better chance to enjoy baserunning, and I'm definitely happy with the choice so far.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
MVP

ILiveForThis's Arena

OVR: 13

I feel like the CPU rarely steals on me. The only time they do is with players that are 'big-name' basestealers but then again, when most MLBers average 8 steals a year, it's rare to see them attempt one when you're visiting them or vice versa.

I think my success rate is something like 75% (12/16) but that's early in the year. Hopefully it comes down a tad..
www.twitch.tv/ILiveForThis
Old 06-20-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

I am having the biggest trouble stealing even with a 90+ speedester. Do I just keep hittint L2 when I am running, provided I have not got picked off which happens so often...
Also, I can't seem to find the Human Steal success rate, is there a CPU rate and a Human rate? How do I increase the Human rate and lower the cpu success rate?
By changing the Baserunner Steal Ability and Baserunner Steal Frequency, does it affect both Human and CPU?

Thanks!

Last edited by k288; 06-20-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by k288
I am having the biggest trouble stealing even with a 90+ speedester. Do I just keep hittint L2 when I am running, provided I have not got picked off which happens so often...
Also, I can't seem to find the Human Steal success rate, is there a CPU rate and a Human rate? How do I increase the Human rate and lower the cpu success rate?
By changing the Baserunner Steal Ability and Baserunner Steal Frequency, does it affect both Human and CPU?

Thanks!
You still need to pick the right situation to steal to increase your success rate.

No, you cannot change steal success rates separately for CPU and HUM... Steal ability affects both. Steal frequency is for CPU only basically, for obvious reasons.

Last edited by nomo17k; 06-20-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: blonde moment
Old 06-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Was wondering if anyone could help me with a running situation. Whenever I have runners at 1st and 3rd, I try to steal 2nd if I have a fast runner, however whenever I do this, I use the Left Analog to tag the runner on 1st, L1 to get a lead, then Triangle, but almost everytime the runner goes before the pitch is thrown and I get picked off. Any ideas? Is it just timing?
Old 06-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by maticinsports
Was wondering if anyone could help me with a running situation. Whenever I have runners at 1st and 3rd, I try to steal 2nd if I have a fast runner, however whenever I do this, I use the Left Analog to tag the runner on 1st, L1 to get a lead, then Triangle, but almost everytime the runner goes before the pitch is thrown and I get picked off. Any ideas? Is it just timing?
You are probably doing early steal. For normal steal, while pressing L3 to specify which runner, press L2 to preload steal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »