Home

NCAA 06

This is a discussion on NCAA 06 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Banned

roethlisberger4pres's Arena

OVR: 2
NCAA 06

What's so good about it? I've never played it but from the looks of it's the same thing as NCAA 07. I've only played NCAA 11 and NCAA 07 can someone please tell me what's so good about 06?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
Rookie

WipeOut464's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: NCAA 06

Can't speak on 07 since I didn't pick it up, but 06 had a ton of features still lacking or poorly implemented in the new console generation. Ex: discipline, dreds, D-IAA schools, screen shake, a fun RTG mode, defense & a competent CPU on Heisman, good menu music, etc. etc. Of course the graphics weren't as polished, no assignment run blocking, and no coaching carousel, but it was still a load of fun to play.

NCAA: Georgia
NFL: San Francisco
MLB: ZZZzzzzzz...

Old 06-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
MVP

speedy43's Arena

OVR: 10

what I don't get is all the hype for '06 when '08 was just as good, if not better imo.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

#10 for Longhorns
Old 06-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy43
what I don't get is all the hype for '06 when '08 was just as good, if not better imo.
I think most people had already moved on to the PS3 and 360 by NCAA 08, otherwise it would have been a big deal.

NCAA 06 was the first game with a "road to glory" mode and had very good gameplay to go with it. Every version has it's varying hick-ups, so I don't remember what the particular gripes were with 06, but for the most part, it was a very fluid game on the field. Player movement, defensive coverage AI, and the passing game were much better than even what we have today. You really felt the difference between a scat back and a linebacker. You felt a sense of dread when you saw your back-up QB coming into the game. The WR/DB interactions seems much more fluid and realistic (even if receivers did have a little too much of an edge in the deep ball department).

There are things that are worse than the "next-gen" versions, such as the bowling-pin tackles (a ballcarrier being tackled could plow through 7 people while picking up an extra 5 yards) and the overall blocking AI. Despite those problems, I still think the gameplay in 06 is more organic and realistic than NCAA 11.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

WEren't 07 and 08 the years where they messed up pursuit angle so you could just run off tackle all day?

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3

06 was the last year for me on Xbox (07 was 360) and was playing it my senior year of college and I was way ahead on course load so I was taking "Sports Officiating", a weight lifting independent study, and slow pitch softball...

I had an abundance of time for a variety of extracurricular activities...one of which was NCAA 06
Old 06-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

My all time favorite NCAA game was NCAA 04 back on the PS2. Those were the days!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »