Home

Anyone else having problems with the CPU making dumb substitutions

This is a discussion on Anyone else having problems with the CPU making dumb substitutions within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Anyone else having problems with the CPU making dumb substitutions

I feel bad because the only time I seem to be on here is when I have a problem, but I guess that is what these boards are for. Overall this is a really good game and at this point one of only 2 or 3 I play consistently on ps3, but I first had some trouble with the cpu sitting top notch players too often (like 2-3 times a week) thanks to a couple people on here I was able to get that problem fixed with just cranking up their durability. Here's my latest one now...

I'm just seeing some really weird cpu subs. I'm talking guys at positions that aren't even listed on their player profile. For instance I'm playing the Tigers and Victor Martinez is catching and gets hurt in the bottom of 6th.. who comes in to catch the top of the 7th... Alex Avila right... wrong Scott Sizemore. Avila is still on the bench, and completely healthy.

Also the Orioles pinch run for J.J. Hardy in the 8th inning with Felix Pie, instead of Cesar Izturis coming in the game to play short in the bottm of the 8th, the cpu just leaves Pie in at ss. One last one... I'm playing Baltimore again and Matt Wieters was given an off day by the CPU, no problem with that, but in the top of the 8th Wieters comes in to pinch hit for Izturis, Pie comes in to pinch run for Jake Fox (who started the game at catcher) Only problem is the cpu already used J.J. Hardy to pinch run for Luke Scott earlier in the game and then replaced him with Nolan Reimold in LF so the problem is cpu has used up too many guys and noone left to play ss. As I come to bat the next half inning, I step to the plate and notice The cpu defense looks like this... Wieters at ss, Pie catching. I switched controllers for a sec and put Wieters behind the plate, Pie in CF, Adam Jones at 2b and Brian Roberts at ss, which is about as close as I could get to letting them have a realistic defense. I have two quetions. One is there some type of setting or adjustment that could be made so the cpu puts guys in their right defensive positions after they pinch hit or pinch run and not run out of guys to play a certain position?

Two How come in the one inning it pinch runs Hardy for Luke Scott and does put Reimold in LF for Hardy, but the next inning it doesn't pay any attention to this and has Wieters playing ss, Pie catching?

I've also noticed stuff like this when I look at the box scores after simming cpu games. For instance there has been a few games where Reggie Willits has pinch run for Kendry Morales and then stayed in the game to play 1st from the 7th inning on. What I don't understand is 1b is not even listed as a secondary position for Willits, ditto for catcher with Scott Sizemore, etc. As always any help would be appreciated. I'm using knights full minors complete roster the opening day version.

Last edited by morecali778; 06-12-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2011, 05:12 AM   #2
Rookie

jgarcia's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Anyone else having problems with the CPU making dumb substitutions

I'll say this the real detail oriented franchise players have been through this for years. For the most part the thing to do is edit players with their real backup positions.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarcia
I'll say this the real detail oriented franchise players have been through this for years. For the most part the thing to do is edit players with their real backup positions.

Well what's maddening is most of them do have their real life backup positions.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

I'm going to have to start paying more attention.

That's some crazy stuff.

As long as I've played this game, I've never seen anything like this.

Wieters in the INF, and Pie C?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
I'm going to have to start paying more attention.

That's some crazy stuff.

As long as I've played this game, I've never seen anything like this.

Wieters in the INF, and Pie C?
See it too often.

I think the problem is the CPU gets too sub-happy, and doesn't (know how to) plan for the remainder of the game. It does EVERYTHING it can to tie or take the lead late in a game and either way, it usually doesn't have an appropriate lineup for the rest of that game. It must be the same logic that brings in 3 or 4 relievers back-to-back in 1 inning.

Another thread that I'll say that SCEA should give us the ability to manage the CPU's lineups.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
TCM
MVP

TCM's Arena

OVR: 15

Yep. Playing Detroit Miguel Cabrera sat out most of the game and they put him at SS in the 9th inning.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:17 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

I notice this a lot when playing AA and AAA games in my franchise. The CPU will just leave whoever pinch hit or pinch ran in the game, regardless of position or if a better option is on the bench.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

I had a real bad case of this in the last couple of days in RTTS play. My SS/IF is a backup at AAA (late in August of his first year). The 1B gets hurt and I get put into the starting lineup in his spot. Guess who's playing SS? A guy who's a 3B/1B! In two straight games, he has multiple errors in the field, and at least twice, the announcers have a remark either about him playing out of position, or "he's not an infielder, they should expect this".

Then I go look at the lineups to see what's going on. I see that 3B/1B guy plugged into SS in two lineups. In the two DH lineups, he's the DH, and one of the catchers (!!!) with no second position is at short. Yet here I am, the only primary SS on the roster, playing 1B.

Even though some would call setting up the ability to cheating or gimmick the system, SCEA needs to give us some control of lineups. Either that, or spend a LOT of work improving roster setup and control.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »