Home

Living in the Shadows – A Patrick Ewing Jr. Story

This is a discussion on Living in the Shadows – A Patrick Ewing Jr. Story within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

OVR: 19
Living in the Shadows – A Patrick Ewing Jr. Story

What makes professional sports so great?

Is it the history of the sport?

How about the fans that watch the sport?

Both of these characteristics of the sport contribute to the atmosphere and make watching sports so intriguing. But what about the players?
Throughout every sport there are always a select group of standout players. In basketball it might be the great Michael Jordan, or in baseball it might be Babe Ruth. These players have had extremely successful sports careers by winning championships and awards.

But what about their kids?

All of this talent, does it transfer from the father to the son?

Patrick Ewing is currently an assistant coach for the Orlando Magic, and was recently inducted into the National Basketball Hall of Fame. He was an 11-time All-Star, Rookie of the Year, and was mentioned in the NBA's Top 50 players of all time.

So after all of this success, shouldn’t his son Patrick Ewing Jr. have similar success?

Despite his father's success, Patrick Ewing Jr. is a meager 6'8" compared to his father’s towering 7'0" stature. Don’t get me wrong, 6'8 is huge—even for an NBA player.

But how about Patrick Ewing Jr’s skill?

His father, after never touching a basketball, learned to play the great game during his adolescent years in Cambridge, Massachusetts. After mastering the game of basketball at a high school level, Patrick decided to play Division I basketball at Georgetown University. At Georgetown, Ewing thrived as a basketball player which resulted in him being picked number-one overall in the 1985 NBA draft by the New York Knicks. After transferring from University of Indiana to Georgetown, following his father's footsteps, the only difference between Junior and his father is the success each one had playing basketball at Georgetown.Patrick Ewing, Jr. averaged 4.1 points his first year and 6.1 points his second year at Georgetown, compared to Patrick Ewing's 15.3 points over four years at Georgetown.

Patrick Ewing, Jr. was raised by one of the greatest players to ever play the game of basketball. Shouldn’t some of the skill portrayed by Ewing transfer to his son? After all his adolescent years, Patrick Ewing never taught his secrets to his son?

A player like Patrick Ewing, Jr. has tremendous potential. He can be a great player. Patrick Ewing, Jr. has amazing jumping ability and plays exceptional defense. This story is not about how bad Patrick Ewing Jr. is now. It is about how he has not got a fair shot at being his own player. Since growing up he was expected to become a great basketball player.

The media has not given this player a fair shot. Ewing Jr. can contribute great things to NBA teams, but before he does that, he needs to be given one more chance to become his own player, not just Patrick Ewing’s son.

Platform:NBA 2K11 Xbox 360
Rosters: 2010-11 In Progress (My Own )
Season Length: 82 games (50 D-League Games)

Team Chemistry: On
Player Roles: On
Trade Deadline: On
Trade Override: Off
Allow CPU Trades: On
Draft: WarpedHalfling's Draft Classes
Playoffs: 7-7-7-7
Difficulty: All-Star
Lineup Management: On
Simulation Strategy: On
Prospect Scouting: On
Player Trading: On
Player Roles: On
Staff Contracts: On
Player Contracts: On
Pre Draft Workouts: On
NBA Draft: On
Training Camps: On

I have simulated the first season. Have set all Fake D- League to age 45 in first season. They have retired bar one or two. The cpu replaced these with players from the real free agency pool, and undrafted rookies from the 2011 Draft.

Last edited by RMJH4; 12-04-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
MVP

HARLEE23's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Living in the Shadows – A Patrick Ewing Jr. Story

Following, nice backstory.
NCAAF- Ohio State
NCAAB- UK
Wrestling Fan

The Ace- Coaching Career of Jordan James
Old 06-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Patrick Ewing Jr. The story so far.

Ewing Jr. was chosen as the 43rd overall pick in the 2008 NBA Draft by the Sacramento Kings. Soon afterwards, he signed a contract with the Kings. He was later traded to the Houston Rockets in a five-player deal that brought Ron Artest to the Rockets. On August 29, 2008, Ewing Jr. followed in his father's footsteps once again, when he was traded to the New York Knicks in exchange for the rights of former first round pick Frédéric Weis. [/color]

[color=red]After some initial speculation that he would wear his father's retired number 33, Ewing Jr. took number 6 in honor of his favorite player Bill Russell. Number 6 was also his father's number in his final season in the NBA with the Orlando Magic and on the USA Dream Team.

Ewing Jr. played in two Knicks pre-season games prior to making his New York debut in Knicks final pre-season game on October 24, 2008. Ewing Jr. entered the game in the 4th quarter to a thunderous ovation by the Madison Square Garden crowd. Ewing Jr. helped fuel Knicks' late rally, where the Knicks would come back from a 21-point deficit. Ewing Jr. had two dunks, a three-pointer, a steal and a blocked shot. He had seven fourth-quarter points. In total, he played 3 pre-season games for the Knicks, averaging 8.1 minutes, 3.7 points and 1.7 rebounds. On October 27, 2008, Ewing Jr. was waived by the Knicks in order to get the roster down to the maximum of 15 players for the start of the 2008-09 season.

Ewing Jr. was signed by Knicks D-League affiliate, Reno Bighorns on December 15, 2008. On the day he signed, Ewing Jr. He made his D-League debut against Utah Flash, recording 15 points. After his first 30 games with the Bighorns, Ewing Jr. had averaged 16.8 points, 8.9 rebounds, 3.1 assists, 1.5 steals and 1.3 blocks per game with an efficiency rating of +20.00.

On March 16, 2009, the Reno Bighorns waived Ewing Jr. after he reportedly suffered a Grade 1 MCL (medial collateral ligament) sprain.

Ewing played for the Orlando Magic in the Orlando Pro Summer League in 2010, as well as for the New York Knicks in the Vegas League. On August 27, Ewing signed with the Knicks. However, he was once again waived at the end of training camp. He then later resigned with the Reno Bighorns of the NBA D-League. Ewing Jr. was later traded to the Sioux Falls Skyforce for Danny Green.

On March 26, the New Orleans Hornets signed Ewing to a 10-day contract following the injury of David West. He was later signed for the remainder of the season, to play 7 games. He played a total of 2 minutes in the playoffs, scoring one 3 pointer against the Lakers. However the Hornets chose not to resign him and he is currently a free agent in the 2011 offseason.

Last edited by RMJH4; 12-04-2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Storyline Index.

Storyline Index.

2011-12 Season.

Ewing's Epilogues: Episode 1.

Maine Red Claws - NBA D-League.

Patrick Ewing Jr. Sign for Maine Red Claws.
Ewing’s Epilogues: Episode 2.
Maine Red Claws Roster 2011-12.
Ewing’s Epilogues: Episode 3.
Game 1 - Austin Toros 86 – 88 Maine Red Claws.
Game 2 Austin Toros 82 – 95 Maine Red Claws.
Game 3 Maine Red Claws 115 – 110 Springfield Armor.
Game 4 Maine Red Claws 112 – 97 Springfield Armor.
Game 5 Maine Red Claws 114 – 97 Springfield Armor.
Game 6 Fort Wayne Mad Ants 94 – 95 Maine Red Claws.
NBA D-League Standings December 2011.
Game 7 Springfield Armor 86 – 102 Maine Red Claws.
Game 8 Maine Red Claws 98 - 82 Erie Bayhawks.
Game 9 Maine Red Claws 86 - 84 Erie Bayhawks
Game 10 Idaho Stampede 91 - 97 Maine Red Claws.
Game 11 Maine Red Claws 82 - 93 Springfield Armor.
Ewing’s Epilogues: Episode 4.
Game 12 Idaho Stampede 86 - 93 Maine Red Claws.
Game 13 Maine Red Claws 107 - 104 Iowa Energy.
Game 14 Springfield Armor 81 – 72 Maine Red Claws.
Game 15 Erie Bayhawks 80 – 86 Maine Red Claws.
NBA D-League Standings - January 2012.
Game 16 Maine Red Claws 108 - 99 Fort Wayne Mad Ants.
Game 17 Maine Red Claws 87 - 83 Fort Wayne Mad Ants.
Game 18 Dakota Wizards 89 – 74 Maine Red Claws.
Game 19 Dakota Wizards 75 – 109 Maine Red Claws.
Game 20 Maine Red Claws 94 - 88 Erie Bayhawks.
Game 21 New Mexico Thunderbirds 80 – 72 Maine Red Claws.
Game 22 Maine Red Claws 90 - 84 Reno Bighorns.
Game 23 Erie Bayhawks 66 – 87 Maine Red Claws.
Game 24 Maine Red Claws 71 - 87 Rio Grande Valley Vipers.
Game 25 Maine Red Claws 86 - 111 Rio Grande Valley Vipers.

New Orleans Hornets.

New Orleans Hornets sign Patrick Ewing Jr to 10 day contract.
Game 1 New Orleans Hornets 119 - 115 Houston Rockets.
Game 2 Charlotte Bobcats 97 - 107 New Orleans Hornets.
Ewing’s Epilogues: Episode 5.
Game 3 New Orleans Hornets 82 - 96 Oklahoma City Thunder.
Game 4 Los Angeles Lakers 128 - 121 New Orleans Hornets.
Game 5 New Orleans Hornets 86 - 110 Dallas Mavericks.
Game 6 New Orleans Hornets 108 - 115 Memphis Grizzlies.
Ewings Epilogue: Episode 6.

Detroit Pistons.

Bobcats, Hornets and Pistons make big trade.
Pistons, Suns and Kings shuffle some more pieces.
Ewing's Epilogues: Episode 7.
Pistons Roster January 31st 2012.
Game 1 Detroit Pistons 126 - 95 Phoenix Suns.
Game 2 Detroit Pistons 107 - 103 Golden State Warriors.
Game 3 Milwaukee Bucks 99 - 100 Detroit Pistons.
Game 4 Philadelphia 76ers 87 - 107 Detroit Pistons.
Game 5 Detroit Pistons 85 - 83 Washington Wizards.
Game 6 Detroit Pistons 88 - 77 Houston Rockets.
Game 7 Chicago Bulls 86 - 81 Detroit Pistons.
Game 8 Los Angeles Lakers 111 - 100 Detroit Pistons.
Game 9 Minnesota Timberwolves 83 - 79 Detroit Pistons.
NBA Trade Talk: Celtics, Magic Looking to Acquire Patrick Ewing Jr. of Pistons.
Ewing's Epilogues: Episode 8.
Ewing's Epilogues: Episode 9.
The Pistons make big trade with the Suns again.
Game 10 Philadelphia 76ers 81 - 85 Detroit Pistons.
Ewings Epilogue: Episode 10.

2012-13 Season.

Ewing's Epilogue: Episode 11.
Living in the Shadows - 2012-13 Offseason.

Last edited by RMJH4; 12-05-2021 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Ewing’s Epilogues: Episode 1

November 1st 2011

Enough is enough. I’ve been bumming around here all offseason. Shooting some hoops down at the local high school just won’t cut it no more. The league is back on, but I just can’t watch it much, well maybe for Dad but I can’t watch the Knicks or Hornets no more. November now and nobody has given me a call. Surely they have my number?

Man the D- League draft came and went and I aint been picked up. I had a good spell with Reno before; I can’t understand them passing me up. Maybe they have just decided to go a new direction. Sioux Falls, I ripped it up down there, but I didn’t really like it there. I thought I already proved with the Hornets that I’m over my MCL? You know I think I might go check out some of the prelim rosters.

Springfield, MA might be ok, short car drive from Beantown. Hmm. Earl Clark, Derrick Brown, Da’Sean Butler, Chris Hunter. Damn they’re pretty much stacked in the post. I’ve got game, but it might be tough to crack the rotation there.

Ok what other teams are nearby. Portland, ME. Right they’ve got Marcus Landry, Pete Morrison, Eddy Curry? Hell they’ve got Curry? I wonder has he gotten back in shape. They’re pretty thin on the frontcourt otherwise (Sorry Eddy!) but it’s a 2 hour drive to Portland.

Maine Red Claws? I played against them last season, they weren’t great but this is only going to be their second season. Affiliated with Boston Celtics and Charlotte Bobcats. Sweet!! I think it’s time to give the old man a call. I know he’s busy down in the Big O, but he’s always got time for me. Jr out.

Me versus the Red Claws last season

Last edited by RMJH4; 12-03-2021 at 03:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

So u will play d league games?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Yep. I'll basically play whatever games Ewing Jr is involved in. I have simmed the first season, set all the fake dleague players to age 45 and got them to retire. Then the second season the cpu fills the roster spots with free agents and unsigned players from the 2011 draft.More news on who Ewing Jr signs for coming later today.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Patrick Ewing Jr. Sign for Maine Red Claws

November 4th 2011

Patrick Ewing Jr. has signed a 1yr $12k deal with the Maine Red Claws. The Maine Red Claws are based in Portland, Maine. They are currently the D-League affiliate of the Boston Celtics and Charlotte Bobcats.

Ewing Jr. was born and lives in Boston, Massachusetts. The trip to Portland is relatively short, and a strong reason Ewing Jr. approached the Red Claws about playing for them. After an uneventful summer due to the CBA negotiations, Ewing Jr. was left unsigned by an NBA or D-League team. It just so happened that the Red Claws needed a power forward to fill out their roster.

The Red Claws had already signed some notable former NBA players, Eddy Curry and Mickael Gelabale. Patrick Beverly and Allan Ray were also signed. Ewing Jr. seen some potential in the roster and decided to contact the Maine front office himself. Well we’d be lying if we didn’t say Pat Ewing Snr. didn’t have a quiet word or two…

An experienced D- League player such as Ewing Jr. will add greatly to the team, and coach Austin Ainge believes they can make a real run at the NBDL playoffs this year, in only their second year in existence.

Coach Ainge is the son of Celtics current GM Danny Ainge. Ewing Jr. hopes that a solid season with the Red Claws could lead to some interest from his hometown Celtics in picking him up as minor role player. The perennial championship contenders are where Ewing Jr. would one day like to ply his trade. His hometown team. One can always dream, right? But for now, Ewing Jr. is just happy to have a team. Let’s see what he can make of this opportunity.

Coach Ainge is pleased with the Red Claws lastest signing

Last edited by RMJH4; 12-04-2021 at 07:56 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »