Home

CPU becomes superhuman during the 9th?

This is a discussion on CPU becomes superhuman during the 9th? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
Rookie

sabastiane's Arena

OVR: 0
CPU becomes superhuman during the 9th?

Hello, I'm curious if anyone else has run into this? I'm using blazzen's sliders and I'm playing as the Florida Marlins. I'm 22 games into spring training.
I've notice when I get to the 9th inning and the CPU bats, they can hit anything I throw them and score a ton of runs. 11 out of the 22 games the CPU has scored in the 9th. For example here are the runs I've allowed in spring training.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
5 3 11 10 5 7 10 6 24

Now, granted the Marlins bullpen isn't the best. But, when the computer is getting hit after hit on the first pitch thrown it gets frustrating. It has gotten to the point where I expect this in a close game going into the 9th. Any suggestions on what I can do?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 4
Sorry bud, you just gotta get better at the game. There is no superhuman element for the CPU in this game.

You gotta mix up your pitches and locations. Throw some pitches outside the zone. They'll chase more than you'd think.

On, On, On, To Victory!!

Gamertag: stewgilligan
Old 06-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: CPU becomes superhuman during the 9th?

YES!!

(That is of course; if you believe in fairy-tales.)
Old 06-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianBird
Sorry bud, you just gotta get better at the game. There is no superhuman element for the CPU in this game.

You gotta mix up your pitches and locations. Throw some pitches outside the zone. They'll chase more than you'd think.

I agree. First time in a long time where I dont feel cheated by the AI in any way if I lose.

If I do lose or give up some runs late in the game, 9 times out of 10 I can pinpoint where I messed up.

Either a bad bitch(bad gesture or overthrow leading to a ball over the plate)

Weak Pitcher (tired reliever, weak rated reliever/closer)

CPU Substitution (first time in a long time where I feel the cpu AI plays smart in late game situations. For instance, I walked my first batter in the 9th. He got bunted over and the cpu pinch hit and actually drove the runner in. Plus the cpu will sub runners for speed on the bags)

Composure (I've learned the hard way to get your manager up to the mound at the slightest discomfort from a pitcher. When you miss pitches with bad composure, you're basically throwing with your eyes closed. Good luck)

Last but not least, play smart baseball. (Dont be afraid to shift your infield or outfield around. Make defensive subs if you have a liability on the field and study your IE tendencies if you're feeling scared. Didn't buy the reports...oh well. Cant be mad if you give up 3 striaght hits because you may have thrown a players money pitch, hot zone, etc.)

From what I've learned in my short stint with the game, the control is definitely in your hands and not in the games programming. There may be some little nagging cheats (ie: errors at the most appropriate moment, forced bad gestures) but for the most part, I haven't seen flat out comeback logic.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

There's absolutely, positively, no comeback AI in this game. What there is is a lot of real-life baseball factos at play that will kill you if not managed right.

The end of the game is all about game management--when are you gonna pull your starter? Which relievers are you gonna put in? How are those matchups? When are you gonna hook a reliever? How are you choosing to pitch a given hitter?

All of those decisions have to be made thoughtfully in this game. If you leave your starter in after you begin to see the velocity come down on the fastball, you're begging to get hammered on a hanging curve late in the game. If your reliever comes out and can't hit the zone in his first at-bat, you're playing with fire by not yanking him. If you get lazy and don't really think about pitching around big bats, they'll get you. Heck, if you even groove a FB to the pitcher out of laziness, he'll get you.

So my advice would just be to slow down and consider all those factors. Some teams have the talent in the bullpen to make closing games out easier. Some teams aren't so good there and so will require more managerial genius and luck.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
MVP

jack1535's Arena

OVR: 3

I have not experienced this at all.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Rookie

SpeedyMikeWallace's Arena

OVR: 2

Pay attention to your fatigue and pitch count. If the pitcher is near his PC at the end of the 8th, it's probably not the best idea to trot him out there for the 9th. Use your closer or someone else.

How are your pitches; are you getting a lot of bad gestures? Where are you locating pitches? Are you using the catcher suggestions?

Last edited by SpeedyMikeWallace; 06-09-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
Pro

JeriousNorwood's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyMikeWallace
Pay attention to your fatigue and pitch count. If the pitcher is near his PC at the end of the 8th, it's probably not the best idea to trot him out there for the 9th. Use your closer or someone else.

How are your pitches; are you getting a lot of bad gestures? Where are you locating pitches? Are you using the catcher suggestions?
Does using catcher suggestions actually help? I've always ignored them and done my own thing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »