Home

It 2k11 worth a rent?

This is a discussion on It 2k11 worth a rent? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-04-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
3X MLBTS Champion

mlblover15's Arena

OVR: 19
It 2k11 worth a rent?

Hi long time Show player, but 11 just was to far over my head to get into this year. so am thinking about at least giving this game a rent for a few days. just have a few questions.

1. what are the options when pitching (analong, meter classic?)

2. same thinig with hitting what are the optiorons avail? (zone, timed, analog?)

3. is the commentary limited or pretty expansive

4. i read that if i was to choose auto defense that it will also throw the ball for you? do i not have the option to have auto defense and manual throwing?

5. when fielding (throwing) is there an option to have the throw meter turned off?

I know that graphicly that this game isn't up to par with the show but im willing to deal with that if this game is a little actually a lot less stressful to play.

my problem with that game is that i felt that i was playing a human user when playing the computer when being pitched to. the AI in the game was far and above my comfort level.

i used guess pitch and found out that the computer just like a human user will know when your using it when you guess correctly and "learn" from it. so it was almost of no use to use the feature.

so should i even consider going to the video store and renting this game or should i just do what im doing and stay with my old great friend the show 08 and be happy?

thank you for all your comments and answers in advance. i also haven't played this series since 2005 i think.. if memory serves.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: It 2k11 worth a rent?

It's timing-only hitting (no zone), although you can choose to influence hit-type. There are two choices for hitting and pitching, analog and classic (button). Classic hitting has only a contact button and no power button which is a downer. Check swings with Classic are impossible and that feature is essentially broken. Commentary is a plus but turns into white noise after a short while -- stat commentary for example never changes or updates. Fielding meters cannot be shut off. Can't answer your auto-throwing question because I haven't patched my game and don't want to. And auto-fielding is only available post-patch.

You're correct in assuming this game is less stressful (and possibly more fun) to play. It's really more of a pick-up-and-play game, and is simplified for that purpose and reason. 2K developers even stated that's their intention. The AI as well isn't overwhelming (read: cheat-happy) which makes for pleasant gaming. Although some people have complained about AI rubberband scoring in the late innings.

Worth renting for sure. Not sure I'd pay console prices for this game. I bought the PC version for under 30 bucks and felt it was a very good purchase given all the stadium and uniform mods and roster editors that are available for download.

Last edited by peigone; 06-04-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

With auto fielding the throwing is automatic. You cannot throw manually unless auto fielding is turned off.

The commentary is quite good in my opinion.

I have played The Show and this game is less stressful and more fun to play, in my opinion. However, there are a few stat bugs and even game summary with patch is bugged, so less stress, more fun, and more annoyances.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

Having played the 2k baseball titles, this is the best game they've put out to date. yes, definitely worth the rent and even worth the purchase.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
Banned

Hal Fowler's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
You're correct in assuming this game is less stressful (and possibly more fun) to play. It's really more of a pick-up-and-play game, and is simplified for that purpose and reason. 2K developers even stated that's their intention. The AI as well isn't overwhelming (read: cheat-happy) which makes for pleasant gaming. Although some people have complained about AI rubberband scoring in the late innings.
I don't agree here, at all. The CPU is a tough opponent. and holding on to a one or two run lead is as stressful in 2K11 as any other baseball game. More importantly, fielding ratings matter, which ads to late game strategy. Pitch count fatigue is very realistic, which also makes late inning decisions important.

There is no AI rubber band at all. But you do have to finish games smartly, which can lead to late rallies if you ignore the pitch count.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
Having played the 2k baseball titles, this is the best game they've put out to date. yes, definitely worth the rent and even worth the purchase.
My thoughts exactly.

Also, the PC version is even better than the console version (better graphics, downloadable mods including updated stadiums with real ads, real brands for batting gloves, bats, etc.).

Last edited by jeffy777; 06-11-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Definitely worth a rent or purchase. I've played a lot of 2K baseball and they really got their **** together this year.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Fowler
I don't agree here, at all. The CPU is a tough opponent. and holding on to a one or two run lead is as stressful in 2K11 as any other baseball game. More importantly, fielding ratings matter, which ads to late game strategy. Pitch count fatigue is very realistic, which also makes late inning decisions important.

There is no AI rubber band at all. But you do have to finish games smartly, which can lead to late rallies if you ignore the pitch count.
Hal is right. There is no rubber band AI. You do have to keep an eye on your pitch count because a tired pitcher can get shelled if you leave him in too long, and that's realistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »