Home

Looking to Buy a Hockey Game for the First Time Since Blades of Steel

This is a discussion on Looking to Buy a Hockey Game for the First Time Since Blades of Steel within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
MVP

waytofailself's Arena

OVR: 3
Looking to Buy a Hockey Game for the First Time Since Blades of Steel

I used to not be into hockey at all until I had a chance to go to a few Hurricane games. And the games were fun to watch + Raleigh had the kind of regular season atmosphere I have not seen at a professional sports game since the Charlotte Hornets in the Zo/Grandma/Mugsy days. (side note, the Bobcats and Panthers are still dishearteningly fair weather these days)

So I'm looking to get into some virtual hockey -- and to an extent I come from a good place because I have not played a hockey game since Blades of Steel on the NES. No matter what I play, it's all going to be new to me

I've seen a few threads on the 2k forums and I'm mainly looking for a different perspective here. I play a lot of 2k games, but I'm not brand loyal by any stretch -- I'm open to either the 2k or EA series.

So here are some questions, especially because OS's users tastes tend to be in tune with mine:

1) What hockey game would you recommend from this generation (I have a Wii & 360)? And tell me why. It does not have to be the newest of the new.

2) What hockey series/game has the best game play (use your own definition of game play: e.g. controls, AI, lasting value, etc)

3) What game/series has the best franchise mode? I've heard a bit about Be a GM, but how's the trade AI? Do coaches get fired at a realistic rate (unlike 2k11 pre patch)

4) I am very familiar with 2k share and how it works. How does EA's games handle user created rosters etc? I'd like to be able to get up to date rosters in subsequent seasons (like the 2010-11 rosters in college hoops 2k8)

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Looking to Buy a Hockey Game for the First Time Since Blades of Steel

Ahh, Blades of Steel, there's a cool blast from the past.

Hockey games have come a long way since then, my friend.

EA's series is definitely top-notch on next-gen. I have NHL 10 and would recommend that. Don't know if NHL 11 is that much of an upgrade, except for the newer rosters.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 06-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Rookie

buzzguy's Arena

OVR: 12

Can't go wrong with NHL 11. It's summer, so you might be able to find a good deal on it. Also, 360 is the way to go. No EA NHL on Wii. You will not be dissapointed!
BTW, NHL 11 has NHL '94-style controls if you want to use those.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
MVP

waytofailself's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzguy
Can't go wrong with NHL 11. It's summer, so you might be able to find a good deal on it. Also, 360 is the way to go. No EA NHL on Wii. You will not be dissapointed!
BTW, NHL 11 has NHL '94-style controls if you want to use those.
I hate saying this, but I don't know what that means. Obviously a lack of shot stick -- but what else?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

I'd look at NHL 10 for the 360. NHL 11 is still $59.99 new and around $50 used at GameStop. You can find NHL 10 used for $19.99. It's a good game and I think it would be a good starting point for you.

I can't comment too much about the 2K games, other than 2K7, which I found to be a lot of fun when I first got my 360. NHL 2K10 has mixed reviews; some guys love it, others don't. There are updated rosters and sliders on 2K Share.
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

If you're willing to pay $60 for an NHL game then wait for NHL 12. It will most likely be the best EA Hockey game to date. NHL 10 and 11 both had problems that put a damper on them. From young top notch players being left in Free Agency to some unrealistic trades. There was also problems with the Offensive AI not presenting enough of a challenge due to lack of creativity.

As for NHL 2K, 2K10 for the 360 is easily the way to go and it's cheap. There was a patch that fixed enough of the release issues and made the game very playable. There are some really great slider sets out there for it and Fiddy has the most complete/recent Roster on 2K Share.

So If you want cheap go with NHL 2K10 or NHL 10, because NHL 11 is still full price new at most places and used probably the price of both the other games new. If you're going full price, as I said just wait for NHL 12.

A note, if you decide to get NHL 10, you can do a manual update using PetrPuck's Blogspot. He has a USB save for late last season, so all you would have to do is use his NHL 11 site to update it for the Offseason and this season.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
A note, if you decide to get NHL 10, you can do a manual update using PetrPuck's Blogspot. He has a USB save for late last season, so all you would have to do is use his NHL 11 site to update it for the Offseason and this season.
Are you saying there's updated rosters from late in 2010-11 for NHL 10? If so, where can I access those?

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Are you saying there's updated rosters from late in 2010-11 for NHL 10? If so, where can I access those?
Well, I thought PetrPuck released two last year...here's the link to Version 1 at least. Not sure if another was ever released, even though they talked about it

http://petrpuck10.blogspot.com/2009/...wnload_13.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »